What should I purchase - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on What should I purchase - Microsoft Windows ; I'm looking to purchase a new laptop, i would like to know the recommendation for large usage of home design plus my own website plus all of the XP office like outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and internet access. Please advice ...

  1. What should I purchase

    I'm looking to purchase a new laptop, i would like to know the
    recommendation for large usage of home design plus my own website plus
    all of the XP office like outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and internet
    access. Please advice on what I should purchase.
    Intel Pentium M processor 715 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 400MHz FSB)
    Intel Pro Wireless Network Connection 802.11 b/g
    Intel 855 Chipset family
    512MB DDR RAM
    60GB high performance Hard Drive
    Intel Extreme Graphic
    3D Audio PRO Sound
    Microsoft XP Professional
    Microsoft Office Professional

    Can anybody explain the difference with the Pentium M or Pentium 4
    Processor?
    Also can you explain in general what is the gibberish I type above.
    Thank you for your advise

  2. Re: What should I purchase

    18 Jul 2005 06:17:49 -0700, AMG.Reno schrob:

    > I'm looking to purchase a new laptop, i would like to know the
    > recommendation for large usage of home design plus my own website plus
    > all of the XP office like outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and internet
    > access. Please advice on what I should purchase.
    > Intel Pentium M processor 715 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 400MHz FSB)
    > Intel Pro Wireless Network Connection 802.11 b/g
    > Intel 855 Chipset family
    > 512MB DDR RAM
    > 60GB high performance Hard Drive
    > Intel Extreme Graphic
    > 3D Audio PRO Sound
    > Microsoft XP Professional
    > Microsoft Office Professional
    >
    > Can anybody explain the difference with the Pentium M or Pentium 4
    > Processor?

    Pentium 4m processors come with power saving functions, such as Speed step
    and deactivating certain modules, the normal Pentium 4 doesn't. Also,
    Pentium 4m is _not_ the same as "mobile Pentium 4".
    Due to the different architecutre, a P4m is faster than a normal P4 of the
    same clock speed.

    > Also can you explain in general what is the gibberish I type above.
    > Thank you for your advise

    You mean all the tech details? Well, I assume you got them from somewhere.
    Obviously from a datasheet of a notebook. So why ask which to buy in the
    first place?

    I suggest you ask a notebook group, because this is about Windows. The fact
    that most NBs come shipped with Windows doesn't mean Microsoft has
    influence on their hardware.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: What should I purchase

    Sounds like the computer you describe is for graphics work in front of
    the TV or in the back yard.

    Dont go with the wireless b/g all you need is B its is cheaper. People
    always get sold on the faster network speeds from G.

    There are two networks in question

    1) the network you have to put up to 30 computers on in your home or
    office. this is the wireless portion this network allows all of the
    computers in the house to see each other if you wish. So with 30
    computers in the house the network needs to be fast aka large
    bandwidth. Each of the 30 could communicate to each other at around 1
    to 3 MBPS. I think B is rated for 30 to 50 MBPS max. Meaning even
    with only one computer on the network you could have a network speed of
    30 to 50 MBPS with itself.

    2)The other network is the Internetwork or the Internet for short.
    Unless you have the $500K to get a Gigabit optical cable that is 1000
    MBPS run to the house dedicated just for you, you will only have a 7
    MBPS max connection. just like your neighbor. most people only get the
    4 MBPS connection. Thats what I have.

    If it isn't perfectly clear yet let me take this home for ya.

    In order for you to connect to the internet and have your 30 computers
    all talking to each other you need a box called a cable modem. This
    box is the only way communication gets from your computer to the
    internet.

    So if you had a 30 MBPS network connected to a box to the internet at 4
    MBPS how fast is your computer actually talking to the internet?

    A: 4 MBPS

    If you had 30 computers talking to each other at 1 to 3 MBPS but only
    one was actually using the internet how fast would it be?

    A: 4 MBPS

    If you had 30 computers talking to each other at 1 to 3 MBPS and all
    were on the internet how fast would each one be on the internet?

    A: 4 MBPS/30 MBPS = 133 KBPS = 0.133 MBPS = less than DSL speed, 3x
    dialup speed on your best connection speed.

    Now ask yourself this question could you get faster internet speed if
    you had an 80 to 105 MBPS network? No
    Could I put more than 30 computers on my 80 to 105 MBPS network? yes
    perhaps 80 computers.
    How fast could they talk to the internet if they were all on at the
    same time? 4MBPS/80 MBPS = .050 MBPS = 50 KBPS the same as the
    theoretical Dialup speed that no one gets.

    I would get 1024 MB Ram - XP is the first windows OS that actually
    supports and uses more

    the 3D audio is not an upgrade I hope you don't need that either.

    Why XP pro? if you are at home with one or two computers? XP home is
    better suited for home.

    Office Pro I understand for Publisher

+ Reply to Thread