IE6: how get "favorite favorites" working again? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on IE6: how get "favorite favorites" working again? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, The other night XP crashed for some reason and two seconds later I was presented with the basic non-classic XP desktop. All my favourites in IE6 had gone . . . and I am still wondering what else! I ...

  1. IE6: how get "favorite favorites" working again?

    Hi,

    The other night XP crashed for some reason and two seconds later I was
    presented with the basic non-classic XP desktop. All my favourites in
    IE6 had gone . . . and I am still wondering what else! I have copied
    my favourites back into the folder that XP uses but I notice that the
    "favorite favorites" thing isn't working anymore. Also I think the same
    thing used to work on the Start menu too, i.e. only the most regularly
    used favorites or programs would be shown.

    How do I get this working again?

    Does it sap memory and CPU power?

    Thanks.

    Ellie.

  2. Re: IE6: how get "favorite favorites" working again?

    sounds like you lost a login name or changed the logon properties, you
    are currently seeing the default desktop and IE properties. Did
    someone create a new login ID - same effect.

    When rebooting do you see the logon screen with the User account Id
    icons? Or does it boot right to the desktop? A change in the user
    accounts can cause this symptom.

    There is no degrading effect on the system memory and CPU power.

  3. Re: IE6: how get "favorite favorites" working again?

    Thanks, Mark.

    > sounds like you lost a login name or changed the logon properties, you
    > are currently seeing the default desktop and IE properties. Did
    > someone create a new login ID - same effect.

    The new state boots up to "Administrator" - which it didn't before. I
    think it booted up to the name of the supplier - and there is in
    Documents and Settings a folder which has the name of the supplier. To
    get my own personal Favourites recognised again I copied them into the
    Favourites folder of the "Administrator" folder. So, from what you have
    related here, I need to get the system to boot to the folder with the
    name of the supplier. Can you tell me, please, how I can do that?

    > When rebooting do you see the logon screen with the User account Id
    > icons? Or does it boot right to the desktop? A change in the user
    > accounts can cause this symptom.

    It's booting right to the desktop, and if I click "Start" up comes the
    Start menu with "Administrator" written at the top.

    > There is no degrading effect on the system memory and CPU power.

    Great. But I would feel happier knowing that the system is working just
    as it was set to do by the suppliers - who "built" the system for
    particular purposes.

    Thanks, Mark. What you have said makes sense. It looks like I just
    need to get the system to boot to the other user folder.

    Ellie.

  4. Re: IE6: how get "favorite favorites" working again?

    In control panel - start/settings/control panel

    dbl click user accounts

    Sometimes Windows will still have an old username listed in the menus -
    click on the "change an account" link

    If the old account is listed then enable it again/or give it new access
    powers such as administrator.

    I am not able to guess what level of access you had before.

    If you don't see the old account you can create a new one but, the
    favorites and such, will not be there.

    Usually Windows will not delete these user specific settings so that
    you can disable and enable accounts as you see fit.

    You said you were able to locate the old favs folder, go back to the
    location where you found it and write down the personal settings
    account name.

    For instance explore the Documents and Settings folder on the C:\ or
    main drive There will be a folder with the former account name still
    in the directory. If so, then create a new account with the old name
    it may simply integrate everything as it was. If not you can drag and
    drop the favs and local settings to the new account folder. This
    should take of it, there may still be some tweaks here and there you
    may wish to do however.

    Chances are no one will notice what you did or know it was you that did
    it. Most people might notice something missing but will assume they
    did something wrong or different. Most people just want it to work and
    don't care about how it works, so when things go wrong they can't tell
    if they did something. If a situation presents itself act like you
    have no idea and ask them what did they do to it. Or tell the truth,
    there is nothing wrong with that either. The truth is there is nothing
    wrong with the computer with the exception that the personal settings
    that used to be there are not completely there anymore. People will
    just have to re-apply their favs and other settings again.

    BTW each account can have a completely different desktop/screen saver/
    personal links/ icons on the desktop/ wallpaper etc. Except for
    someone deleteing the user account name or deleting a personal folder
    in the Docs and Sets folder there should never be a problem with others
    if you make changes to yours.

    Good Luck

    X->out

+ Reply to Thread