USB 2.0 in XP Home - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on USB 2.0 in XP Home - Microsoft Windows ; I bought Virtual PC for my Mac with XP Home. I have downloaded 29 updates from Microsoft including Service Pack 2. I assumed SP2 would also cover the patches from SP1a which is the service pack that lists a USB ...

  1. USB 2.0 in XP Home

    I bought Virtual PC for my Mac with XP Home. I have downloaded 29
    updates from Microsoft including Service Pack 2. I assumed SP2 would
    also cover the patches from SP1a which is the service pack that lists a
    USB 2.0 bug-fix. However, I STILL cannot use my USB 2.0 device (it is
    a piece of lab equipment that does not fuction on USB 1.1 because the
    response time is too slow).

    Do I need to uninstall SP2 and download SP1a?
    Or can I just download SP1a and it will fix itself?
    Or should SP2 have the USB patch and something else is the problem
    (maybe I need to reinstall my hardware drivers?)?

    Talk about reinforcing why I use a Mac...

    Thanks for any suggestions!!

  2. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    Microsoft service packs are cumulative. e.g. SP2 includes changes made in SP1a and all updates released before SP2.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    tcelina wrote:
    > I bought Virtual PC for my Mac with XP Home. I have downloaded 29
    > updates from Microsoft including Service Pack 2. I assumed SP2 would
    > also cover the patches from SP1a which is the service pack that lists
    > a USB 2.0 bug-fix. However, I STILL cannot use my USB 2.0 device (it
    > is a piece of lab equipment that does not fuction on USB 1.1 because
    > the response time is too slow).
    >
    > Do I need to uninstall SP2 and download SP1a?
    > Or can I just download SP1a and it will fix itself?
    > Or should SP2 have the USB patch and something else is the problem
    > (maybe I need to reinstall my hardware drivers?)?

    The last one very probably. Windows handles USB 2 perfectly well
    everywhere else so if it doesn't on your machine, it is your setup that
    has a problem. Reinstall the drivers, it won't do an harm.

  4. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    "John of Aix" wrote in message
    > tcelina wrote:
    > > I bought Virtual PC for my Mac with XP Home. I have downloaded 29
    > > updates from Microsoft including Service Pack 2. I assumed SP2 would
    > > also cover the patches from SP1a which is the service pack that lists
    > > a USB 2.0 bug-fix. However, I STILL cannot use my USB 2.0 device (it
    > > is a piece of lab equipment that does not fuction on USB 1.1 because
    > > the response time is too slow).
    > >
    > > Do I need to uninstall SP2 and download SP1a?
    > > Or can I just download SP1a and it will fix itself?
    > > Or should SP2 have the USB patch and something else is the problem
    > > (maybe I need to reinstall my hardware drivers?)?

    > The last one very probably. Windows handles USB 2 perfectly well
    > everywhere else so if it doesn't on your machine, it is your setup that
    > has a problem. Reinstall the drivers, it won't do an harm.

    It's important to have both a(n?) USB 2.0 device *and* USB 2.0 card/port on
    your PC, and USB2.0 driver under your OS of choice.
    I know, my USB 2.0 memory stick only runs at 1.1 compatibilty with my old
    laptop (USB 1.1 port).

  5. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    It appears some others assume you have a laptop but you did not say
    that.

    I do not use a MAC though I have in the past. I assume that Virtual PC
    allows MAC to run Windows OS based programs similar to X-windows in
    UNIX or LINUX.

    Or

    Are you actually installing Windows OS on a MAC dual boot type system?

    The first case the Win OS runs in a MAC shell which in turn runs the
    hardware, in the second the Win OS runs the hardware. Two mutually
    exclusive problems. If an OS in a MAC shell the driver is still the
    MAC driver in the other case the Windows driver is the driver. Either
    of these cases have completely different solutions, and simply
    reinstalling drivers may not be included in those solutions. You may
    have an issue with the interface between the MAC driver and the Win
    driver - Virtual PC issue.

    I suggest you consult a MAC expert, I am not one.

    As far as XP goes in a PC based system once you have updated to SP2 you
    can only go back if you took special precautions and saved an
    executable Uninstall filelist. I can only imagine this getting quite
    complicated in a Virtual PC or a OS in a MAC shell configuration.

    Let me know what happened... this sounds like a good case study.

  6. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    tcelina wrote:

    > I bought Virtual PC for my Mac with XP Home. I have downloaded 29
    > updates from Microsoft including Service Pack 2. I assumed SP2 would
    > also cover the patches from SP1a which is the service pack that lists a
    > USB 2.0 bug-fix. However, I STILL cannot use my USB 2.0 device (it is
    > a piece of lab equipment that does not fuction on USB 1.1 because the
    > response time is too slow).
    >
    > Do I need to uninstall SP2 and download SP1a?
    > Or can I just download SP1a and it will fix itself?
    > Or should SP2 have the USB patch and something else is the problem
    > (maybe I need to reinstall my hardware drivers?)?
    >
    > Talk about reinforcing why I use a Mac...
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions!!

    We have ran Windows operating systems under emulation or
    virtual PC or DOS windows in Macintoshes. One observation
    that has always held true is that if an application or a
    device needs to use a specific PC-compatible or Windows-
    compatible hardware device, the better alternative is the
    Wintel box.

  7. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    hum...not so happy about being "a good case study" I just want the
    stupid thing to WORK!!!!

    Here is the deal:

    I have an iBook G4 with two USB 2 ports.
    I am trying to connect a spectral radiometer via a USB 2 port to run on
    a piece of software called SpectraWiz that only works in Windows. The
    spectrometer will ONLY run on a USB 2 port because of the rate of data
    transfer.
    I purchased VPC XP Home and installed SpectraWiz within it. I don't
    know how it works, but the Mac hardware allows you to install multiple
    operating systems, I have three, OS 9, OS X, and XP Home. They run
    independently of each other. XP Home appears as a window within OS X
    when it is being run, it opens like any other application program.

    When I connect the Spectral Radiometer to the USB port, and look at the
    system information in OS X, it is clearly linked to a USB 2 hi-speed
    port. However, in XP Home I get the little pop-up bubble "this
    hardware could run faster if it was connected to a hi-speed port" when
    I plug it in. When I look in device manager, the hardware is clearly
    linked to a USB 1.1 port.

    The problem is that I don't HAVE a USB 1.1 port. All my ports are USB
    2.

    So I went on-line and read all the microsoft junk about about it, and
    everything I read pointed to downloading SP1a which was supposed to fix
    the USB interface problem in XP Home. But Microsoft won't let me
    download SP1a, because SP2 has been released, I don't get to just click
    and download, I'm sent to this "download center" where 29 updates had
    been selected for me. So I downloaded the 29 updates, restarted the
    computer, plugged in the spectrometer, and the little bubble pops up
    again "this hardware could run faster..."

    I uninstall the hardware driver, reinstall it, same bubble.

    Does this address all the quesitons people have about my system? Any
    further suggestions?

    Tritium: what on earth is a wintel box? Please tell me it isn't
    something expensive that makes obsolete the 190 software I just
    bought from Microsoft.

  8. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    tcelina wrote:
    > hum...not so happy about being "a good case study" I just want the
    > stupid thing to WORK!!!!
    >
    > Here is the deal:
    >
    > I have an iBook G4 with two USB 2 ports.
    > I am trying to connect a spectral radiometer via a USB 2 port to run on
    > a piece of software called SpectraWiz that only works in Windows. The
    > spectrometer will ONLY run on a USB 2 port because of the rate of data
    > transfer.
    > I purchased VPC XP Home and installed SpectraWiz within it. I don't
    > know how it works, but the Mac hardware allows you to install multiple
    > operating systems, I have three, OS 9, OS X, and XP Home. They run
    > independently of each other. XP Home appears as a window within OS X
    > when it is being run, it opens like any other application program.
    >
    > When I connect the Spectral Radiometer to the USB port, and look at the
    > system information in OS X, it is clearly linked to a USB 2 hi-speed
    > port. However, in XP Home I get the little pop-up bubble "this
    > hardware could run faster if it was connected to a hi-speed port" when
    > I plug it in. When I look in device manager, the hardware is clearly
    > linked to a USB 1.1 port.
    >
    > The problem is that I don't HAVE a USB 1.1 port. All my ports are USB
    > 2.
    >
    > So I went on-line and read all the microsoft junk about about it, and
    > everything I read pointed to downloading SP1a which was supposed to fix
    > the USB interface problem in XP Home. But Microsoft won't let me
    > download SP1a, because SP2 has been released, I don't get to just click
    > and download, I'm sent to this "download center" where 29 updates had
    > been selected for me. So I downloaded the 29 updates, restarted the
    > computer, plugged in the spectrometer, and the little bubble pops up
    > again "this hardware could run faster..."
    >
    > I uninstall the hardware driver, reinstall it, same bubble.
    >
    > Does this address all the quesitons people have about my system? Any
    > further suggestions?
    >
    > Tritium: what on earth is a wintel box? Please tell me it isn't
    > something expensive that makes obsolete the 190 software I just
    > bought from Microsoft.

    Not Tritium but have also been in the same situation whilst
    supporting academic and hospital facilities. A "Wintel" box
    is a IBM-PC compatible computer. What might be happening is
    this: Although the Mac has USB 2.0 ports, Virtual PC is not
    able to or does not see them as USB 2.0 ports and it reports
    this to Windows XP. Hence, the message. It is basically an
    interface issue between the Virtual PC (emulator) and the
    Macintosh. But if Spectral Radiometer readings are good and
    valid, leave things alone.

  9. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    Thank you for the suggestions! Trouble is, the spectrometer will not
    function AT ALL at USB 1.1, the histogram flatlines as the program
    knows the results aren't valid, it would rather produce nothing at all
    than crap I guess.

    I understand that the problem lies between XP and VPC (obviously my
    beautiful ibook could never be the problem!! :-), but thats what I
    thought the SP2 download was supposed to fix.

    I will try to find out the kb/sec transfer rate and get back to you.

    Xtrachessreal: My poor IT dept, I've been driving them crazy with this
    as well. The spectrometer works fine in the lab, but I'm trying to
    take it with me on some field work and want it connected to my personal
    laptop so I don't have to carry two computers with me. I'm cynical
    about MS as well - this has been my first REAL venture into "their
    world", I'm hoping it's my last!!

  10. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    sorry, not sure I was clear. I know the error message is telling the
    truth (that the USB port is running at 1.1) because the spectrometer
    will not function, which according to the manufacturer, is a symptom of
    slow data transfer rates.

  11. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    This may be a bit late to the suggestion party, but have you tried
    Microsoft's Support site?

    Also, it may be a case that USB doesn't work with Virtual PC...as of
    this document from Microsoft, it shows that it's not supported:

    Virtual PC doesn't give you a 'true' virtual PC. You might be better
    off with a loaner Windows Laptop from the university.

  12. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    tcelina:

    I have done some research on this problem but I have not found a
    solution. In general, for optimal performance the iBook G4 needs to
    have maximum RAM installed. I did find many, like thousands, of
    MAC-VPC- XP issues listed at various sites across the globe, some were
    very similar. In almost every case the RAM was low - around 128 MB.
    You may already know these things above but, I am truly trying to help.

    I found this forum below:

    http://macusersforum.com/index.php?

    I posted a tidbit of the issue there with a plea for help, I asked them
    to post some help here. You may wish to go there as well and peruse
    the various issues posted for some insight to this issue.

    I am continuing to search for the cure. Meanwhile don't give up.

    X->out

  13. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    According to that link, VPC for Windows v. 4 - 5.2 doesn't "provide USB
    emulation". I don't fully understand what that means, but I have VPC
    for Mac v.7, so I don't think it matters...

  14. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    Hi Xtrchessreal! Thanks!! I know you are trying to help!! According
    to my system profile I have 640 MB DDR SDRAM - is there something else
    I should be looking for?

  15. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    Make sure VPC is completely up to date, the MAC is up to date, and the
    XP - you said you did that part. Apple releases updates for the
    iBooks, just make sure you have the latest - can't hurt. VPC is a MS
    application so XP will not have the updates for it except for the ones
    that are necessary from the XP side to work with VPC. I am sure there
    is a gap and an overlap between the two.

    I'll look some more late tonight for a fix for this in the mean time.
    CPU Speed is degraded when operating OSs like this, the speed of the
    USB port may be affected by interupt routines and processes that
    briefly take the attention of the CPU during data transfers. I am
    disappointed about the MACusersforum not sending any information, I
    checked the site again and no one has responded.

    I continue to believe this is fixable so stay tuned.

    X->out

  16. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    tcelina:

    I have not found one other occurance of this problem specifically.
    There are many problems related to USB, RAM, using all types of USB
    devices.

    This is beginning to sound like the typical problem I run into, or they
    find me somehow, where some sort of phantom or gremlin is in the works.
    These type of issues can take a long time to pin down. Often there
    are multiple variables involved in this class of problem, a slight
    chance that it is one little digital bit in a buffer, or the streaming
    data, that is causing it.

    If you have no other option than to find a way to make this work on
    your laptop then you may be in for a learning curve as the problem is
    disected by qualified professionals. If you could get the programmer
    that designed the device and the application software to help you he
    could probably diagnose it rather quickly. From what I have read it
    appears that this technology is rather new and therefore you may have a
    good chance at working with an engineer from the software company. A
    program is a program is a program but it helps significantly if you
    have intimate ties to the development of the software. The service
    department of Spectrawiz may have the guy available for issues such as
    these.

    If it is not a Spectrawiz issue then you are left with
    Microsoft....@#^!**~

    If you want to work on this some more then you will need to spend alot
    of time on it, first things first.

    Update all software related pieces of the system you are using:

    Spectrawiz
    Radiometer - (not the thing in a vacuum that looks like a light bulb
    with black and white fans that spin in the sun light)
    Spectroradiometer
    Mac
    Virtual PC
    XP

    If you are using other programs in relation to this work such as
    LabView, Mathcad, Statistica.

    Also try shutting off all other programs that normally run in the
    background - anti virus, screen savers, other anti-X-ware.

    Let me know when this part is complete.

  17. Re: USB 2.0 in XP Home

    Xtrchessreal:

    I REALLY appreciate all your help on this. I have done as you ask and
    make sure everything is up to date, it already was, I have all of the
    recommended updates from both Apple and Microsoft, and nothing running
    in the background. SpectraWiz runs independently of other software
    packages, so nothing else should be interfering.

    If you want to continue to struggle with this, I will continue to
    follow your suggestions, but I have now borrowed a Windows based laptop
    to take with me on my field work which begins on Monday which means
    this is no longer a pressing issue. I will be gone for a week, so I
    will not be able to post anything, but I will check in when I return to
    see if you have come up with anything new.

    If you decide to give up, I don't blame you and really really really
    thank you for your assistance!!

+ Reply to Thread