Network printer driver problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Network printer driver problem - Microsoft Windows ; I have a Windows 2000 system with a printer attached to it, and a Windows XP Pro system. The first time after rebooting the XP system that I print something from it, the XP system reloads the printer driver. How ...

  1. Network printer driver problem

    I have a Windows 2000 system with a printer attached to it, and
    a Windows XP Pro system.

    The first time after rebooting the XP system that I print something
    from it, the XP system reloads the printer driver.

    How can I prevent this?

    Bill.

  2. Re: Network printer driver problem

    If I understand you correctly the win 2k system is the network domain
    and the XP system is a client on the 2000 network. Further it seems
    that the XP would rather be in charge of your printer. Sounds like the
    system with 2000 installed needs to allow the sharing of printers and
    the XP system needs be a client on the 2000 system. It is likely then
    that this newer XP system was allowed to create its own network with
    the 2000 as the client. Check the Workgroup names from both systems to
    see if they match. If they match, make sure the printer sharing is
    enabled on the 2000 system and that the XP is a client. If they don't
    match then you have two networks each set to be the server. Another
    symptom may be that you can only see stupid shared folders and not the
    actual main drive/computer of the other system on the network.

    This is purely conjecture based on Microsoft history of believing
    everyone wishes to start a network with the XP pro OS. So they run a
    wizard that appears integrated with the initial setup screens as you
    boot the computer for the first time and enter all of the ridiculous
    encryption keys. Actually it is more likely this is the case since the
    OS is the Pro version, which usually means for a business, and a
    network.

    MS treats everyone like idiots, who cares if a network is in place,
    make the newest OS the one in charge. I guess...like the car
    manufacturers do...they are creating business for the service side of
    the operation i.e. call up the tech and get a trouble ticket generated.
    It is also a good way to cook books for the quarter if they happen to
    be in trouble - the Q10s are serious - They can show a great rise in
    service customers, thus, painting a rosey picture for the future. The
    reality is the service is inundated with tech problems due to a piece
    of trash being sold as gold.

    Let me know what happens please... others who read may be interested in
    the same issue.

    The truth will set you free...but, then your just frustrated cause you
    can't do anything to change it. I still wonder if it is better to bury
    your head in the sand in bliss, or pull your head out of your ass, open
    your eyes, ears, and scream in hell.

    X->out

  3. Re: Network printer driver problem

    > If I understand you correctly the win 2k system is the network domain
    > and the XP system is a client on the 2000 network. Further it seems
    > that the XP would rather be in charge of your printer.

    I`ve got a problem at the moment with my box... just installed win2k
    (had 98se before that) - and I can`t get filesharing or the printer
    going from an XP box to win2k... they`re all in the same workgroup, the
    win2k machine can see the XP machine fine, the XP machine sees the name
    of the win2k box, but it can`t see any of the shared partitions (5 of)
    or the printer.

    Any suggestions ?

    (it asks for the guest password when I try to access the win2k machine
    via XP, but I have no password set up on the win2k box)

+ Reply to Thread