XP newbie questions - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP newbie questions - Microsoft Windows ; P'm moving up to a new machine running Windows XP from a machine running Windows 95 (dont laugh) and I have a couple of questions. First, how do I create submenus in the All Programs menu? I've got quite a ...

  1. XP newbie questions

    P'm moving up to a new machine running Windows XP from a machine running
    Windows 95 (dont laugh) and I have a couple of questions. First, how do
    I create submenus in the All Programs menu? I've got quite a few
    programs installed and the All Programs menu is getting large. I'd like
    to move and group some of the items into submenus.

    Another question I have is how do I change the user name on the
    Administrator acconnt? When I first booted the computer it asked me for
    a user name and not being used to XP I just typed in some nonsense. Now
    I find that the nonsense I typed is the user name. I changed the user
    name and created a password from the user accounts screen but the old
    user name is still in the system. I know this because when the Login
    dialog box appears, the nonsense user name appears in the User Name
    field. I've found that I can login using either the old nonsense user
    name or the new user name using the same password. Can someone tell me
    how to change this so only the new user name appears and the password
    only works with the new user name?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: XP newbie questions

    15 Jul 2005 03:35:03 +0500, Tom Mislewski schrob:

    > P'm moving up to a new machine running Windows XP from a machine running
    > Windows 95 (dont laugh) and I have a couple of questions. First, how do
    > I create submenus in the All Programs menu? I've got quite a few
    > programs installed and the All Programs menu is getting large. I'd like
    > to move and group some of the items into submenus.

    Right Click on a Submenu under Programs and choose "Open - All users". If
    this doesn't show up, this Menu is only available to all users, not only to
    you. In this case just choose open.
    Then a new Explorer window opens where you can edit the folders just like
    everywhere else on you HDD.

    > Another question I have is how do I change the user name on the
    > Administrator acconnt? When I first booted the computer it asked me for
    > a user name and not being used to XP I just typed in some nonsense. Now
    > I find that the nonsense I typed is the user name. I changed the user
    > name and created a password from the user accounts screen but the old
    > user name is still in the system. I know this because when the Login
    > dialog box appears, the nonsense user name appears in the User Name
    > field. I've found that I can login using either the old nonsense user
    > name or the new user name using the same password. Can someone tell me
    > how to change this so only the new user name appears and the password
    > only works with the new user name?

    Either you hide it from the Welcome screen (using TweakXP) or, even better,
    zou just delete that nonsense account.

    > Thanks for your help.

    np
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: XP newbie questions

    Start/settings/taskbar and start menu

    dialog popup called: Taskbar and start menu properties

    click start menu tab

    choose either classic start menu or start menu

    click customize button

    there are several options here - look for the scroll programs and
    enable it. this scrolls all the programs except the latest used into a
    small space - to view all click on the double arrow on the menu.

    You can aslo add, edit, delete, and move program menus around.

    Set your password and user accounts in Control panel/User accounts

+ Reply to Thread