problem with annoying shutdown - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on problem with annoying shutdown - Microsoft Windows ; My whole family uses my computer, which I like to keep running all the time. Unfortunately, they sometimes forget I like to keep it running all the time, and they shut it down when I'm logged on. Is there any ...

  1. problem with annoying shutdown

    My whole family uses my computer, which I like to keep running all the
    time. Unfortunately, they sometimes forget I like to keep it running
    all the time, and they shut it down when I'm logged on. Is there any
    way I can prevent the computer from being shut down while someone is
    logged on?

  2. Re: problem with annoying shutdown

    Hi,

    You can try the following tips to block the shutdown command.

    Open regedit and browse this key
    :HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer

    In the right pane do right click and create a new DWORD Value. Name it
    NoClose. Do double click on it and give it value 1. Now restart your
    PC.

    You will see that shutdown command is disable from your PC.

    Please let me know how it goes.

    Thanks !

    progman89 wrote:
    > My whole family uses my computer, which I like to keep running all the
    > time. Unfortunately, they sometimes forget I like to keep it running
    > all the time, and they shut it down when I'm logged on. Is there any
    > way I can prevent the computer from being shut down while someone is
    > logged on?

  3. Re: problem with annoying shutdown

    Before I do that, will this disable shutdowns entirely, or only when
    someone is logged on?

  4. Re: problem with annoying shutdown

    Hi again,

    Sorry, i could not understand your question? Can you plz explain me
    exactly your problem that how is it possible for other to shutdown your
    pc while you are working on your computer ?
    Plz let it explain and i will do my best for your help.

    Thanks !

  5. Re: problem with annoying shutdown

    I did not give you the information about the shutdown disable BUT, I
    can tell you that it will only disable the button in the menu window,
    you can still restart the computer using the restart button. If you
    need to shutdown simply use restart and then manually hit the power
    button when the computer just begins the restart. In other words wait
    for the OS to shut down then it should go to a black screen for few
    moments before the OS begins the startup routine - in those few moments
    while the screen is black - turn off the power.

  6. Re: problem with annoying shutdown

    "Hi again,

    Sorry, i could not understand your question? Can you plz explain me
    exactly your problem that how is it possible for other to shutdown your
    pc while you are working on your computer ?
    Plz let it explain and i will do my best for your help.

    Thanks ! "

    Basically, I want to prevent other users of my computer in my family to
    not be able to shut down my computer while I am logged on. If no one is
    logged on though, I want the computer to be able to shut down.

    Thanks for your help!

  7. Re: problem with annoying shutdown

    On 19 Jul 2005 17:22:12 -0700, "progman89"
    wrote:

    >"Hi again,
    >
    >Sorry, i could not understand your question? Can you plz explain me
    >exactly your problem that how is it possible for other to shutdown your
    >pc while you are working on your computer ?
    >Plz let it explain and i will do my best for your help.
    >
    >Thanks ! "
    >
    >Basically, I want to prevent other users of my computer in my family to
    >not be able to shut down my computer while I am logged on. If no one is
    >logged on though, I want the computer to be able to shut down.
    >
    >Thanks for your help!

    I believe you can do this by editing the group policy (START-> RUN->
    GPEDIT.MSC)

    Browse to COMPUTER CONFIGURATION -> WINDOWS SETTINGS ->
    SECURITY SETTINGS -> LOCAL POLICIES-> USER RIGHTS ASSIGNMENT

    Scroll down to near the bottom until you see the "Shut down the
    system" right. Double-click on it and you can assign which users or
    groups will be allowed to shut down the computer.

  8. Re: problem with annoying shutdown

    I did the suggestion India Power has above. It works from the desktop.
    In other words, while you are logged on and you see your desktop, if
    you try to shut down the turn off and the restart buttons are not
    available, you are forced then to log off - if trying to shut down.
    Once you are logged off, the welcome screen shows your user account
    icon in the middle of the screen. At this point the screen also shows
    the Off button with the caption "Turn Off Computer", if you click that
    button the computer shuts down.

  9. Re: problem with annoying shutdown

    There have been some assumptions so far:

    1) You are using XP
    2) You have multiple user accounts on the Computer
    3) You leave your account logged in for some needed purpose while you
    are away from the computer
    4) You wish to eliminate the possibility of others logging you off
    and/or shutting down while you are away

    In this case you can apply a password to the screen saver so that when
    the computer is in screen saver mode only a person with the password
    can get passed that screen - including any Desktop / START / Loggoff /
    Shut down /commands. If you are logged off and others are using the
    computer the password should not engage. If you are simply swithed
    from your user account and another person is logged on as well the
    Password takes precedent. This will not prevent them from being
    frustrated and then simply pulling the plug or holding the power button
    for 5 seconds to shut the computer down. They can then restart the
    computer and do what they want with it (within any prescribed uses
    given to the user account) if they have a user account.

    To Deter this behavior however, you can set an administrative password
    to engage during Post such that no one can even restart the computer
    unless they have the password. Once this measure is known then others
    know it is futile to try this in the future making you the man with the
    key, if they want access they must go through you, if they attempt a
    work around they do not get satisfaction. The problem with this is
    that in the case of a hang, fatal error, or a restart you must be
    onsite to provide the access.

    Unless you have taken measures to disallow the physical access of the
    computer from others you will not be able to secure the computer the
    way you wish. I suggest buying a Family use computer for all others in
    the home and protect yours behind locked doors.

    As for the settings and configuration to get the password setup for
    startup I will need more detailed information concerning the Make,
    Model, or the motherboard type and CPU, OS, BIOS make, Bios version.

    Please provide all of the computer information including if on a
    network wired or wireless type B or G in case you are overlooking some
    key information needed by us here.

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT provide email, personal,
    or IP address information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

  10. Re: problem with annoying shutdown

    Here is your solution Progman 89:
    If working from WIN2K; navigate to Local Security Policy.
    Expand Local Policies>User Rights Assignements- Scroll down the list to
    the option of "Shut Down the System", Uncheck everybody except
    administrators.
    - Now create individual user names and passwords for your other family
    members and place these accounts in the "USER" group so they will not
    have rights to undo their permission and security settings.

    Issue solved.

    (the options are the same for WINXP)

  11. Re: problem with annoying shutdown

    Thank you very much!