Control Panel Crash - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Control Panel Crash - Microsoft Windows ; I'm having a very strange problem. I have a 3 GHz Pentium running XP Home SR2, fully patched. If I try to open the control panel, it sits for a minute, then I get a "Windows Explorer has Encountered an ...

  1. Control Panel Crash

    I'm having a very strange problem. I have a 3 GHz Pentium running XP
    SR2, fully patched. If I try to open the control panel, it sits for
    a minute, then I get a "Windows Explorer has Encountered an Error and
    Must Exit. Send Report?" splash screen, after which Windows explorer
    restarts (with the control panel still closed of course). I can open
    the control panel fine if I boot in safe mode, but haven't found any
    other way to do it.

    Virus and spyware scans don't find anything amiss.

    I realize that this isn't a lot to go on, but it's all I have so far.

    ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

    -jc

  2. Re: Control Panel Crash

    14 Jul 2005 12:26:41 -0700, cirejcon schrob:

    > I'm having a very strange problem. I have a 3 GHz Pentium running XP
    > SR2, fully patched. If I try to open the control panel, it sits for
    > a minute, then I get a "Windows Explorer has Encountered an Error and
    > Must Exit. Send Report?" splash screen, after which Windows explorer
    > restarts (with the control panel still closed of course). I can open
    > the control panel fine if I boot in safe mode, but haven't found any
    > other way to do it.
    >
    > Virus and spyware scans don't find anything amiss.
    >
    > I realize that this isn't a lot to go on, but it's all I have so far.
    >
    > ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > -jc

    If you haven't deactivated the system restore function, try this to roll
    back to a previous state.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: Control Panel Crash

    cirejcon wrote:
    > I'm having a very strange problem. I have a 3 GHz Pentium running XP
    > SR2, fully patched. If I try to open the control panel, it sits for
    > a minute, then I get a "Windows Explorer has Encountered an Error and
    > Must Exit. Send Report?" splash screen, after which Windows explorer
    > restarts (with the control panel still closed of course). I can open
    > the control panel fine if I boot in safe mode, but haven't found any
    > other way to do it.
    >
    > Virus and spyware scans don't find anything amiss.
    >
    > I realize that this isn't a lot to go on, but it's all I have so far.
    >
    > ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

    You could try looking for the *.cpl files, the stuff in the control
    panel and renaniming the ones that aren't vital or are third party. I
    do'nt know if you cand though, perhaps in Failsafe mode. Then reboot and
    see if it is any better. Put them back one by one if it helps and you'll
    find the culprit.

  4. Re: Control Panel Crash

    I have had a similar problem when installing a new video
    driver. Generally few applications add .cpl in the control
    panel so check with the date the .cpl that are on your
    system and try to rename those that are not microsoft.

    "cirejcon" a écrit dans le message de news:
    1121369201.214608.235830@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com...

    > I'm having a very strange problem. I have a 3 GHz Pentium running XP
    > SR2, fully patched. If I try to open the control panel, it sits for
    > a minute, then I get a "Windows Explorer has Encountered an Error and
    > Must Exit. Send Report?" splash screen, after which Windows explorer
    > restarts (with the control panel still closed of course). I can open
    > the control panel fine if I boot in safe mode, but haven't found any
    > other way to do it.
    >
    > Virus and spyware scans don't find anything amiss.
    >
    > I realize that this isn't a lot to go on, but it's all I have so far.
    >
    > ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > -jc

  5. Re: Control Panel Crash

    Go here:

    Spywarewarrior.com

    sign up and download a program called Hijackthis - it sounds scary to
    outsiders but it is an extremely useful tool. Do not run it until you
    have thoroughly read the helpfiles that are available at the site.

    Close all programs especially IE Then only run a log file. copy the
    log to the Spyware warrior site and submit it along with your request
    for help. There is a specific place on that site to submit it to.
    Some will get back to you within a day sometimes hours.

    Keep checking the help request on the site. It is a forum type site
    like this so you have to click on your link that you submitted to see
    all of the responses to the request.

    Follow the instructions given to you when they start working your
    request. They will likely ask you to download some other excellent
    utilities with specific instructions, follow these instructions, do not
    add lib or do other things in the mean time to your PC. The log you
    submit is quite specific and exact at the time you made it, do not make
    changes to you computer until after the help request is fully
    completed. It usually goes like this:

    1 you ask for help
    2 they ask you to do some things
    3 you do those things - usually includes running a new HJT log file as
    well
    4 they look at the new file for confirmation
    5 new instruction may be given for certain types of severe threats
    6 you perform these instructions
    7 they look at a new log for confirmation
    8 you are done - your PC will act like you just pulled it out of the
    box for the first time in terms of ease of use, time delay response
    etc.

    X->out

+ Reply to Thread