New puter with XP. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on New puter with XP. - Microsoft Windows ; Finally broke down and am getting a faster machine of everything, memory etc. also it comes with XP. After using win98 SE, what should I trim and modify in XP? Any sources of info?...

  1. New puter with XP.

    Finally broke down and am getting
    a faster machine of everything,
    memory etc. also it comes with XP.
    After using win98 SE, what should I
    trim and modify in XP? Any sources
    of info?

  2. Re: New puter with XP.

    Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:06:49 -0700, irwell schrob:

    > Finally broke down and am getting
    > a faster machine of everything,
    > memory etc. also it comes with XP.
    > After using win98 SE, what should I
    > trim and modify in XP? Any sources
    > of info?

    Get XP antispy and deactivate the home-phoning features. Some of the
    "improvements" are quite the opposite, like hiding the accelerator keys in
    personal preferences, like using the classic window style, not that
    Teletubby stuff, the classic Control panel or this new start menu layout
    which makes the usage of the keyboard only a time-consuming thing.

    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: New puter with XP.

    irwell writes:
    > Finally broke down and am getting a faster machine of everything,
    > memory etc. also it comes with XP. After using win98 SE, what
    > should I trim and modify in XP? Any sources of info?

    Run this
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../mbsahome.mspx

    Do what it suggests. Other than that, enjoy a far more stable
    experience than 16-bit windows land.

    Install Mozilla Firefox and avoid using IE. Be sure you're behind a
    hardware firewall. Assign administrator and account passwords. Pay
    attention to winodws update, etc.

    Chase down that mechanism to disable the annoying Windows
    Messenger--that's really the only thing that needs uprooting on XP
    near as I can tell.

    Have fun with the new machine!

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: New puter with XP.

    Todd H. wrote:

    > Do what it suggests. Other than that, enjoy a far more stable
    > experience than 16-bit windows land.

    Agreed

    > Chase down that mechanism to disable the annoying Windows
    > Messenger--that's really the only thing that needs uprooting on XP
    > near as I can tell.

    I think (apart from that, which I hate) that the most annoying thing I
    found with XP after installing it was the way a caps press didn't undo
    the caps lock if it was pressed but to unlock it it needed another press
    of the caps lock. It sent me barmy until I found out how to cure it
    (Regional settings, logical huh?). But as you say, just about everything
    is adjustable in XP and my machine on which I run a very tight ship, a
    poot AMD 850, runs a whole site bettyer than many 3 giga jobs I seer
    where the user has got a million things running behind that are
    absolutrly of no use whatever to them.

  5. Re: New puter with XP.

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:06:49 -0700, irwell wrote:

    >Finally broke down and am getting
    >a faster machine of everything,
    >memory etc. also it comes with XP.
    >After using win98 SE, what should I
    >trim and modify in XP? Any sources
    >of info?

    Here are some quick things to keep in mind:

    First thing: before going online (or plugging in a network cable),
    TURN ON THE FIREWALL. You may wish to consider a third-party software
    firewall or a hardware firewall, but even the original version of XP's
    firewall works; even better if you have Service Pack 2.

    Disable unnecessary services; not only will this help protect you from
    any exploits, but it will cut back on Window's CPU and RAM usage.
    Black Viper's list is a useful site for determining what you need and
    what you don't.
    http://dhost.info/kyeu/mirror/blackv...P/registry.htm

    Windows Update is your friend. If you don't have Service Pack 2, get
    it. And the rest of the patches while you're at it.

    Antivirus and anti-spyware. Try http://www.grisoft.com and
    http://www.microsoft.com/spyware for a start.

    Of course, better than software that removes malware is not getting it
    in the first place, and the biggest holes in Windows are Outlook and
    Internet Explorer. Check out Firefox and Thunderbird
    http://www.mozilla.org for freeware alternatives.

    And, although it's just a personal preference on my part, I'd
    recommend changing XP's default skin from it's "Fisher Price" look
    back to the Classic look (Start->Control Panel->Display->Appearance)
    and disable CPU-wasting features like fading of menus and such.

  6. Re: New puter with XP.

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:06:49 -0700, irwell wrote:

    >Finally broke down and am getting
    >a faster machine of everything,
    >memory etc. also it comes with XP.
    >After using win98 SE, what should I
    >trim and modify in XP? Any sources
    >of info?

    Thanks to all for the advice and links.
    The new (refurbished) machine came last
    night, takingb it easy finding out what
    is working etc., have already downloaded
    and installed K-meleon as the main browser
    so feel a little safer.

  7. Re: New puter with XP.

    irwell writes:
    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:06:49 -0700, irwell wrote:
    >
    > >Finally broke down and am getting
    > >a faster machine of everything,
    > >memory etc. also it comes with XP.
    > >After using win98 SE, what should I
    > >trim and modify in XP? Any sources
    > >of info?

    > Thanks to all for the advice and links. The new (refurbished)
    > machine came last night, takingb it easy finding out what is working
    > etc., have already downloaded and installed K-meleon as the main
    > browser so feel a little safer.

    Good idea.

    Firefox users, and IE users note, check your vendor sites for security
    updates on both released in the past day or so.

    Best regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/