How do I encrypt a whole (external) USB harddisc (under Win2000 and WinXP)? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How do I encrypt a whole (external) USB harddisc (under Win2000 and WinXP)? - Microsoft Windows ; Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in order to backup serveral directories. This works fine. However I would like to encrypt the whole USB harddisc? What is the best solutions? I would like to connect to ...

  1. How do I encrypt a whole (external) USB harddisc (under Win2000 and WinXP)?

    Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in order to backup serveral
    directories. This works fine. However I would like to encrypt the whole USB harddisc?

    What is the best solutions?

    I would like to connect to the USB harddisc under Win2000 and WinXP.
    The Harddisc is NTFS formatted.

    Is Microsofts EFS encrytion system stable?

    What other tools are recommendable (under Windows)?
    What about BestCrypt and DriveCrypt?

    The most important criterias for me are stability and reliability.

    Speed and costs are second order.

    Frank

  2. Re: How do I encrypt a whole (external) USB harddisc (under Win2000 and WinXP)?

    The Microsoft NTFS encryption is stable and works well for
    an application like you describe. It is very dependent on the login
    userid and password; so if that would change, one would not be able
    to access that encrypted data until one resets the userid/password.

    Another option is to zip the data on the external hard drive while using
    the latest encryption option (256bit) for (commercial version of) Winzip:
    http://www.winzip.com/wzdaes.htm
    This would mean that you'd maintain data on your external drive
    as zip file(s).

    One might use PGP (free versions are) at:
    http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html
    http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgp/versions/freeware/
    Information at: http://www.cren.net/crenca/onepagers/pgp2.html
    Using this for manual encryption of files or folders has a drawback:
    loosing the pair of keys (public and secret) would render the encrypted
    data inaccessable forever. See:
    http://ftp.aset.psu.edu/pub/ger/docu...29%20Encrypted

    Finally: The best for last. Use the commercial version of PGP Whole Disk
    PGP Desktop Home:
    http://www.pgp.com/products/universa...hole_disk.html
    Loosing the public and/or secret key has the same disastroud consequences
    as the free version. Although it is no trick to backup these keys.

    Skip Knoble, Penn State

    On 11 Jul 2005 13:15:37 GMT, inn200@hotmail.com (Frank Callone) wrote:

    -|Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in order to backup
    serveral
    -|directories. This works fine. However I would like to encrypt the whole USB harddisc?
    -|
    -|What is the best solutions?
    -|
[...]

+ Reply to Thread