How to obtain admin privelages through a User account? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How to obtain admin privelages through a User account? - Microsoft Windows ; I am curious how to establish an administrator account within Windows XP without formatting the hard drive or other such harsh measures, through an existing User account. Sorry, I'm feigning ignorance on this one, but I'm sure somebody can help......

  1. How to obtain admin privelages through a User account?

    I am curious how to establish an administrator account within Windows
    XP without formatting the hard drive or other such harsh measures,
    through an existing User account. Sorry, I'm feigning ignorance on this
    one, but I'm sure somebody can help...

  2. Re: How to obtain admin privelages through a User account?

    mrharrymason wrote:
    > I am curious how to establish an administrator account within Windows
    > XP without formatting the hard drive or other such harsh measures,
    > through an existing User account. Sorry, I'm feigning ignorance on
    > this one, but I'm sure somebody can help...

    Control panel, User Accounts, Change an Account, click the account,
    click radio button Computer Administrator

  3. Re: How to obtain admin privelages through a User account?

    That is, without administrative approval. Otherwise I wouldn't need to
    make this thread :-P

  4. Re: How to obtain admin privelages through a User account?

    By default when you install Windows XP, unless specified, the
    Administrator account does not have a password. What you could do is
    boot to safe mode (Tap on the "F8" key when the system first comes on
    and choose "Safe Mode" from the boot options menu), then ogon as the
    Administrator. Once there, you can go through the control panel and
    change the user accounts.

    Aside from this, there are other methods that use a Linux boot CD to
    modify user accounts, but they are a little more complicated. Hope this
    helps...

  5. Re: How to obtain admin privelages through a User account?

    "mrharrymason" writes:
    > I am curious how to establish an administrator account within Windows
    > XP without formatting the hard drive or other such harsh measures,
    > through an existing User account. Sorry, I'm feigning ignorance on this
    > one, but I'm sure somebody can help...

    A reinstall of XP does it quickly without reformating the hard drive.
    You would need to reinstall your applications.

    Another way is to recover the passwords on the existing system. A
    tool like pwdump2.exe will dump the sam database and all the password
    hashes, and a tool like rainbow crack with the alphanumeric rainbow
    tables can probably crack the admin password unless it's very obtuse.

    Another route, depending on the patch level of the machine is to find
    a local privilege escalation exploit.

    Details are intentionally left an exercise to the reader, and only
    readers that have a legal right to be doing such things to the systems
    in question.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.