Looking for a small utility file... - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Looking for a small utility file... - Microsoft Windows ; Am looking for a way to check the size of a directory with many sub-directorys and files in it. Windows Explorer seems to give the size of the directory (or sub) that is open at the time but doesn't mention ...

  1. Looking for a small utility file...

    Am looking for a way to check the size of a directory with many
    sub-directorys and files in it. Windows Explorer seems to give the size
    of the directory (or sub) that is open at the time but doesn't mention
    the overall size including the subs. Is there a small program that I
    could use or is there something built in to Windows 2000 Pro that is
    already there and that I am overlooking. Many thanks, David...

  2. Re: Looking for a small utility file...

    10 Jul 2005 12:15:43 -0700, denglish48060@gmail.com schrob:

    > Am looking for a way to check the size of a directory with many
    > sub-directorys and files in it. Windows Explorer seems to give the size
    > of the directory (or sub) that is open at the time but doesn't mention
    > the overall size including the subs. Is there a small program that I
    > could use or is there something built in to Windows 2000 Pro that is
    > already there and that I am overlooking. Many thanks, David...

    Scanner gives you a great overview.
    http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: Looking for a small utility file...

    denglish48060@gmail.com wrote:
    > Am looking for a way to check the size of a directory with many
    > sub-directorys and files in it. Windows Explorer seems to give the
    > size of the directory (or sub) that is open at the time but doesn't
    > mention the overall size including the subs. Is there a small program
    > that I could use or is there something built in to Windows 2000 Pro
    > that is already there and that I am overlooking. Many thanks, David...

    Right click, Properties does it for me (W98)

  4. Re: Looking for a small utility file...

    denglish48060@gmail.com wrote:
    > Am looking for a way to check the size of a directory with many
    > sub-directorys and files in it. Windows Explorer seems to give the
    > size of the directory (or sub) that is open at the time but doesn't
    > mention the overall size including the subs.

    It does actually, XP anyway, right click, properties, answer.

  5. Re: Looking for a small utility file...

    denglish48060@gmail.com wrote:
    > Am looking for a way to check the size of a directory with many
    > sub-directorys and files in it. Windows Explorer seems to give the size
    > of the directory (or sub) that is open at the time but doesn't mention
    > the overall size including the subs. Is there a small program that I
    > could use or is there something built in to Windows 2000 Pro that is
    > already there and that I am overlooking. Many thanks, David...

    I dunno if this is solution for u but try running from cmd:
    du -s C:\SomeFolder

    or du -h which gives u a help msg.

    Regards

    --
    Tomek Rudzinski
    rudzinski(AT)czg(DOT)pl

  6. Re: Looking for a small utility file...

    Thanks guys, Properties works fine, thanks Mike and all for your
    posts...

+ Reply to Thread