McAfee uninstall woe - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on McAfee uninstall woe - Microsoft Windows ; (not my machine, I wouldn`t touch it !) I was trying to resolve a problem on a colleagues home PC a few days ago, and after Trend Sysclean had worked its magic and cleared 7 trojans, although there is one ...

  1. McAfee uninstall woe

    (not my machine, I wouldn`t touch it !)

    I was trying to resolve a problem on a colleagues home PC a few days ago,
    and after Trend Sysclean had worked its magic and cleared 7 trojans,
    although there is one cause for concern that I haven`t managed to shift
    yet - it recreates certain entries in HijackThis, but are effectively
    benign at present as the programs it tries to call are not on the system.

    As part of the process, I was going to install Avast (which will at least
    get updated - he was only on an un-updated trial of McAfee)

    He`s on XP, and the control panel / add & remove programs duly lists
    three McAfee components, but it refuses to uninstall ANY of them with
    what I think was a DHTML error. It keels over immediately without running
    any visible uninstall procedure.

    Any ideas, other than forcibly removing or renaming the install
    directories and running a registry cleaner to kill the (now) redundant
    entries ?

  2. Re: McAfee uninstall woe

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    > (not my machine, I wouldn`t touch it !)
    >

    > I was trying to resolve a problem on a colleagues home PC a few days
    > ago, and after Trend Sysclean had worked its magic and cleared 7
    > trojans, although there is one cause for concern that I haven`t
    > managed to shift yet - it recreates certain entries in HijackThis,
    > but are effectively benign at present as the programs it tries to
    > call are not on the system.
    >
    > As part of the process, I was going to install Avast (which will at
    > least get updated - he was only on an un-updated trial of McAfee)
    >
    > He`s on XP, and the control panel / add & remove programs duly lists
    > three McAfee components, but it refuses to uninstall ANY of them with
    > what I think was a DHTML error. It keels over immediately without
    > running any visible uninstall procedure.
    >
    > Any ideas, other than forcibly removing or renaming the install
    > directories and running a registry cleaner to kill the (now) redundant
    > entries ?

    I disinstalled McAfee the other day on a machine that was being so
    slowed down with it that I thought I was dealing with Norton ;-) It
    didn't want to go much and I think there were three things in the
    add/remove programmes box with the unistall order being important. First
    I used Msconfig to stop any of it running then after the reboot stopped
    any McAfee processes (I think there were still a couple despite
    previous) I managed to get rid of it and finished off with a clean up of
    the registry, which the machine needed anyway as that wasn't the only
    junk I wa cleaning out.

  3. Re: McAfee uninstall woe

    > didn't want to go much and I think there were three things in the
    > add/remove programmes box with the unistall order being important.

    That`s interesting - one looked "promising", but I think it was only the
    firewall component, and given that I was out of time and unable to give
    them a replacement at the time, I felt it was safer to leave that in for
    now until I get another chance :-}

  4. Re: McAfee uninstall woe

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >> didn't want to go much and I think there were three things in the
    >> add/remove programmes box with the unistall order being important.

    > That`s interesting - one looked "promising", but I think it was only
    > the firewall component, and given that I was out of time and unable
    > to give them a replacement at the time, I felt it was safer to leave
    > that in for now until I get another chance :-}

    I couldn't swear to what I said above as I uninstalled a Norton a few
    days before and with that, you really do have to play about so I might
    be confusing things a little (I'm very old you know) but even if it
    wasn't exactly as I say, it definitely required a bit of fiddling about.

  5. Re: McAfee uninstall woe

    Most anti-virus programs when trying to unistall, in add/remove
    programs it will give you a error. like can't unistall, but make sure
    that you are logged in as a administrator, and logged into the anti
    virus program, this will normally start a update/unistall wizard inside
    the anti-virus software. Also make sure to try to unistall the 3
    components in the right order sometimes one item can be unistalled
    before the other 2. Good Luck. Also reference mcafee's website and look
    online for people with the similiar problem.

+ Reply to Thread