Windows License Question - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows License Question - Microsoft Windows ; I have searched and searched for this answer with no luck... Has anyone ever heard or have proof of this type of situation...? If someone owns a legal copy of Windows ME, does that give them the legal right to ...

  1. Windows License Question

    I have searched and searched for this answer with no luck...

    Has anyone ever heard or have proof of this type of situation...?

    If someone owns a legal copy of Windows ME, does that give them the
    legal right to install and use Windows 98SE, Windows 98 or Windows 95,
    simply because they are previous versions?

    Any help on this will be appreciated...

  2. Re: Windows License Question

    On 9 Jul 2005 18:15:11 -0700, "Anon9536"
    wrote:

    >If someone owns a legal copy of Windows ME, does that give them the
    >legal right to install and use Windows 98SE, Windows 98 or Windows 95,
    >simply because they are previous versions?

    No, no more than you have any right to _Star Wars_ and _Empire Strikes
    Back_ just because you own _Return of the Jedi_

  3. Re: Windows License Question

    "Anon9536" writes:
    > I have searched and searched for this answer with no luck...
    >
    > Has anyone ever heard or have proof of this type of situation...?
    >
    > If someone owns a legal copy of Windows ME, does that give them the
    > legal right to install and use Windows 98SE, Windows 98 or Windows 95,
    > simply because they are previous versions?
    >
    > Any help on this will be appreciated...

    Often, yes. You have to read the terms of the EULA of the specific
    item you do have a license to, however.

    But, it's true that many recent Microsoft licenses for modern OS's
    will let you run a prior version of the OS instead of what you bought.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Windows License Question

  5. Re: Windows License Question

    GregRo writes:
    > I though it was only xp pro that could be downgraded to windows 98se
    >
    > If you have a windows 98se that was not correctly license and you buy
    > windows xp pro. The windows 98 disk becomes valid. Regardless on
    > how it was bought.

    That could be. Ya gotta read the EULA with the edition ya have though
    to be sure. There are lots of different EULA's out there for the same
    product, depending on how they're obtained.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: Windows License Question

    Spalls Hurgenson writes:

    >On 9 Jul 2005 18:15:11 -0700, "Anon9536"
    >wrote:

    >>If someone owns a legal copy of Windows ME, does that give them the
    >>legal right to install and use Windows 98SE, Windows 98 or Windows 95,
    >>simply because they are previous versions?

    >No, no more than you have any right to _Star Wars_ and _Empire Strikes
    >Back_ just because you own _Return of the Jedi_

    Well...it depends on the license the user is operating under, which
    may or may not be the same as the EULA. The OP needs to determine
    what terms were part of the original license when it was purchased.

    Having said that, it's most likely that the OP is a retail customer,
    who either bought the retail copy of Windows or obtained it from an
    OEM who packaged it with hardware. In that case, the terms of the
    EULA as included on the disk are probably in force as written.

    If the license was acquired under some other program (SELECT, EA,
    open-license, academic, etc.) then whatever organization holds that
    program contract should be consulted to determine the license terms.

    Joe Morris

  7. Re: Windows License Question

    Thanks for everyone's reply! I guess I'll start digging some more in
    the EULA and find out if it's spelled out anywhere... Any more input
    will be appreciated!

  8. Re: Windows License Question

    Anon9536 wrote:
    > I have searched and searched for this answer with no luck...
    >
    > Has anyone ever heard or have proof of this type of situation...?
    >
    > If someone owns a legal copy of Windows ME, does that give them the
    > legal right to install and use Windows 98SE, Windows 98 or Windows 95,
    > simply because they are previous versions?
    >
    > Any help on this will be appreciated...

    I have no idea what the legal situation is, but I've personally
    always believed that if one is saddled with WinME, they have
    the *moral* right to a *working* operating system to
    replace it with.

    I this case, a little free software might spare M$ a lot of well
    deserved bricks through their windows (no pun intended).

    -jcon

+ Reply to Thread