Arrrgghh stream.sys WDM DRIVER ERROR 23b!!! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Arrrgghh stream.sys WDM DRIVER ERROR 23b!!! - Microsoft Windows ; I'm getting continual BSOD. Log is full of things like Error code 00000019, parameter1 00000020, parameter2 82b47c40, parameter3 82b48620, parameter4 1b3c000d. Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 00000080, parameter3 f8939748, parameter4 00000000. Attempting to use the MS help for these ...

  1. Arrrgghh stream.sys WDM DRIVER ERROR 23b!!!

    I'm getting continual BSOD. Log is full of things like
    Error code 00000019, parameter1 00000020, parameter2 82b47c40,
    parameter3 82b48620, parameter4 1b3c000d.
    Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 00000080,
    parameter3 f8939748, parameter4 00000000.

    Attempting to use the MS help for these errors just says it's a driver
    error. All sorts of drivers are attributed as the cause on the BSOD
    win32k.sys, ntoskrnl.sys, svchost.sys, atiptaxx.exe. I don't believe I
    could have that many flaky drivers.

    Others are
    Faulting application services.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting
    module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.2600.2180, fault address 0x00036834.
    Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.0.4.0, faulting module
    npswf32.dll, version 7.0.19.0, fault address 0x00019aa2.
    Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting
    module shell32.dll, version 6.0.2900.2620, fault address 0x00063c89.
    The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

    It keeps failing to save the userenv on doing a restart.

    It seems better for a day or so after a disc error check and defrag
    but the free space is fragged to hell on the system drive.

    I switched verifier on with all drivers selected. First time it
    didn't take as it BSOD on selecting restart. Had to do it again.
    Then it didn't reboot properly got to a very faded windows logo and
    hung for 10 min so I hit the reset. This time it got to the scrolling
    blue bars, I heard my web cam beep and then it rebooted itself. Did it
    again the next time so I disconnected the cam and scanner (no other
    USB devices), this time I got a blue screen and the driver error
    message. I found nothing of any use on MS. A google shows 17 hits
    and zilch of any use. I had to do a safe restart and switch verifier
    off to boot the system as it won't boot with verifier on.

    Is this fault a possible hardware conflict between a IWILL XP333 (not
    raid) with ALi magik 1 M1535D+ chipset and Maxtor IDE drive. I had to
    load an ALi ultra IDE miniSCSI driver to get ithe Maxtor to run at
    133MHz as MS IDE driver insisted on it being PIO4. I went though all
    the rigmarole that MS suggested and it would always fall back to PIO4
    - the system was unacceptably unresponsive using PIO4. Should I just
    junk the IWILL? The orb fan on the northbridge is flaky anyway, I
    keep finding it stuck or going slow - you can see each blade in
    daylight it's going so slow.

  2. Re: Arrrgghh stream.sys WDM DRIVER ERROR 23b!!!

    > Is this fault a possible hardware

    Run memtest86 - it sounds like it could be faulty memory. I had murder
    trying to diagnose a "random" problem on my machine once, and i`ve kept a
    copy handy ever since.

    26 attempts at installing winblows over a single weekend nearly had me in
    the sodding loony bin ! (then I figured it out)

    http://www.memtest86.com/

  3. Re: Arrrgghh stream.sys WDM DRIVER ERROR 23b!!!

    I have had the same problem before, and for me, it was the northbridge
    chip overheating. I noticed you mentioned that your northbridge fan was
    slow. The Abit motherboard I have had a faulty northbridge fan for a
    time, and I kept getting BSODs randomly. I replaced the fan with an
    aftermarket one from www.newegg.com and I haven't had a problem yet.
    The reason that the overheating northbridge chip causes this problem is
    because is messes up the communcation between the RAM and other stuff,
    and as we all know, RAM is what causes a lot of BSOD's. Good luck!

  4. Re: Arrrgghh stream.sys WDM DRIVER ERROR 23b!!!

    On 6 Jul 2005 16:20:21 -0700, "Stuart Gowdy"
    wrote:

    >I have had the same problem before, and for me, it was the northbridge
    >chip overheating. I noticed you mentioned that your northbridge fan was
    >slow. The Abit motherboard I have had a faulty northbridge fan for a
    >time, and I kept getting BSODs randomly. I replaced the fan with an
    >aftermarket one from www.newegg.com and I haven't had a problem yet.
    >The reason that the overheating northbridge chip causes this problem is
    >because is messes up the communcation between the RAM and other stuff,
    >and as we all know, RAM is what causes a lot of BSOD's. Good luck!

    The memory test shows problems with test 5. Dropped the memory speed
    from 333 to 266 and it passed all tests OK, it's been fine running at
    266 for the last week. Thinking back it was totally trouble free for
    about the first year and then I came home one day. It had died and
    not reset and it was pretty much the hottest day of the year (about
    like today). Never been really stable since then.

    So now I have to work out if the northbridge is cooked and will never
    go at 333 again. If the memory is cooked and replacing it will allow
    it to run at 333. Or if a new northbridge fan will cure the thing. I
    suppose a fan is cheapest for starters. When in BIOS after a BSOD I
    can't recall seeing high temps on either CPU or northbridge.

+ Reply to Thread