Long distance diagnosis :-} - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Long distance diagnosis :-} - Microsoft Windows ; Asking on behalf of a colleague who lives 80 miles away... He has WinME installed on his system, which itself was installed as an update to Win98 (not sure whether it was FE or SE). The system refuses to boot, ...

  1. Long distance diagnosis :-}

    Asking on behalf of a colleague who lives 80 miles away...

    He has WinME installed on his system, which itself was installed as an
    update to Win98 (not sure whether it was FE or SE).

    The system refuses to boot, and flashes up a Win98 bootup logo for an
    instant before returning to a DOS prompt "this program required DOS 8.x"
    or similar.

    The only things I can think of in these circumstances revolve around
    things like...

    ....the HD is probably FAT32 rather than NTFS (which will make data
    recovery easier) due to the upgrade installation

    ....the MBR is hosed somehow, as its trying to boot from the wrong install

    Has anyone come across anything similar before, and could they possibly
    confirm if an upgrade from 98 to ME leaves the original Windows dir
    intact, and ME is installed to a WinNT dir ?

    If I wanted to try replacing the MBR, should I use a bootable NT floppy,
    or a 98 floppy (i`m not sure if an NT floppy would handle FAT32 natively)

    Any other suggestions are most welcome :-}

    Cheers

  2. Re: Long distance diagnosis :-}

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    > Asking on behalf of a colleague who lives 80 miles away...
    >
    > He has WinME installed on his system, which itself was installed as an
    > update to Win98 (not sure whether it was FE or SE).
    >
    > The system refuses to boot, and flashes up a Win98 bootup logo for an
    > instant before returning to a DOS prompt "this program required DOS
    > 8.x" or similar.
    >
    > The only things I can think of in these circumstances revolve around
    > things like...
    >
    > ...the HD is probably FAT32 rather than NTFS (which will make data
    > recovery easier) due to the upgrade installation

    As far as I know ME doesn't do NTFS

    > ...the MBR is hosed somehow, as its trying to boot from the wrong
    > install

    There's fdisk/mbr which you could try at some stage. It's supposed to
    fix the MBR but I've never had any result from it (perhaps becasue the
    MBR wasn't broke) but it didn't screw anything up either that wasn't
    already screwed up.

    > Has anyone come across anything similar before, and could they
    > possibly confirm if an upgrade from 98 to ME leaves the original
    > Windows dir intact, and ME is installed to a WinNT dir ?

    I'm having my doubts now but I'm almost certain that ME isn't an NT but
    a Win98 with gimmicks. I sse an ME machine occasionally and it just has
    the normal Windows folder IIRC

    > If I wanted to try replacing the MBR, should I use a bootable NT
    > floppy, or a 98 floppy (i`m not sure if an NT floppy would handle
    > FAT32 natively)

    I'd use a 98 floppy definitely. I take it that Fail-safe mode has been
    tried and found wanting, if not that's worth a go.

    Has ME run at all or did this happen after installation?

    > Any other suggestions are most welcome :-}

    Get the machine back to a 98 SE if you can, Millennium has a poor
    reputation. Or put XP on if it will take it.

  3. Re: Long distance diagnosis :-}

    > > ...the HD is probably FAT32 rather than NTFS (which will make data
    > > recovery easier) due to the upgrade installation

    > As far as I know ME doesn't do NTFS

    Ahh, I thought it introduced NTFS as its default file system for a new
    install - and assumed that as it was an upgrade it would have stayed a
    FAT32 (that`s a Good Thing (TM) as its a lot easier to recover data !)

    > > ...the MBR is hosed somehow, as its trying to boot from the wrong
    > > install

    > There's fdisk/mbr which you could try at some stage. It's supposed to
    > fix the MBR but I've never had any result from it (perhaps becasue the
    > MBR wasn't broke) but it didn't screw anything up either that wasn't
    > already screwed up.

    Without knowing if the boot mechanism was NT-ified or "classic" I didn`t
    want to cause more damage by potentially overwriting necessary data. For
    the record, FDISK /MBR *has* got me out of trouble before now on a couple
    of occasions (one was linux related)

    > I'm having my doubts now but I'm almost certain that ME isn't an NT but
    > a Win98 with gimmicks. I sse an ME machine occasionally and it just has
    > the normal Windows folder IIRC

    Hmmm ok... i`ll see if I can guide the guy through a safe mode boot (he`s
    not terribly computer literate) and if we can get that far, we can
    diagnose from thereon in.

    > I'd use a 98 floppy definitely. I take it that Fail-safe mode has been
    > tried and found wanting, if not that's worth a go.

    Do you mean standard safe mode here, or is there something i`m missing ?
    (does ME have a "last known good" mode ?)

    > Has ME run at all or did this happen after installation?

    As far as I know, it was running happily on ME for some time.

    > Get the machine back to a 98 SE if you can, Millennium has a poor
    > reputation. Or put XP on if it will take it.

    I`m on 98SE myself - I refuse to go eXcrementPile :-}

    I believe a factory install of ME can be very stable, but upgrade
    installs are a complete waste of time...

  4. Re: Long distance diagnosis :-}

    See if this is helpful.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q274297/

    Ben

    "Colin Wilson" wrote in message news:MPG.1d2d0054a75aa39698b1f2@news.individual.ne t...

    > Asking on behalf of a colleague who lives 80 miles away...
    >
    > He has WinME installed on his system, which itself was installed as an
    > update to Win98 (not sure whether it was FE or SE).
    >
    > The system refuses to boot, and flashes up a Win98 bootup logo for an
    > instant before returning to a DOS prompt "this program required DOS 8.x"
    > or similar.
    >
    > The only things I can think of in these circumstances revolve around
    > things like...
    >
    > ...the HD is probably FAT32 rather than NTFS (which will make data
    > recovery easier) due to the upgrade installation
    >
    > ...the MBR is hosed somehow, as its trying to boot from the wrong install
    >
    > Has anyone come across anything similar before, and could they possibly
    > confirm if an upgrade from 98 to ME leaves the original Windows dir
    > intact, and ME is installed to a WinNT dir ?
    >
    > If I wanted to try replacing the MBR, should I use a bootable NT floppy,
    > or a 98 floppy (i`m not sure if an NT floppy would handle FAT32 natively)
    >
    > Any other suggestions are most welcome :-}
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > --
    > Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
    > --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

  5. Re: Long distance diagnosis :-}

    Colin Wilson wrote:

    >> I'd use a 98 floppy definitely. I take it that Fail-safe mode has
    >> been tried and found wanting, if not that's worth a go.

    > Do you mean standard safe mode here, or is there something i`m
    > missing ? (does ME have a "last known good" mode ?)

    It has the System Restore thingy like in XP, which is one of the few
    good things about this version (I forgot that last night) so if you can
    get into Windows then that should get you out of trouble.

    >> Has ME run at all or did this happen after installation?

    > As far as I know, it was running happily on ME for some time.
    >
    >> Get the machine back to a 98 SE if you can, Millennium has a poor
    >> reputation. Or put XP on if it will take it.

    > I`m on 98SE myself - I refuse to go eXcrementPile :-}

    It's not bad actually once you get rid of the usual dross and gimmicks
    that Windows installs and no one with any sense uses.

    > I believe a factory install of ME can be very stable, but upgrade
    > installs are a complete waste of time...

    Could be, I've only know a few ME installations and they've seemed OK.
    People say 98 is unstable too but I've never found it so if the machine
    is setup properly and looked after.

  6. Re: Long distance diagnosis :-}

    > See if this is helpful.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q274297/

    Thanks, looks like it could be very handy :-)