How to view all of "start" + "programs" screen Windows ME, etc. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How to view all of "start" + "programs" screen Windows ME, etc. - Microsoft Windows ; I am using Windows ME. How do you get to the stuff on far right of "start" + "programs" screen??? Bet there is a simple answer. Smaller font would allow more on page; but, eventually, the page would still be ...

  1. How to view all of "start" + "programs" screen Windows ME, etc.

    I am using Windows ME. How do you get to the stuff on far right of
    "start" + "programs" screen??? Bet there is a simple answer. Smaller
    font would allow more on page; but, eventually, the page would still be
    full.

    Here's a picture of the screen.
    http://home.hiwaay.net/~ara36/xxStartScreen.gif

  2. Re: How to view all of "start" + "programs" screen Windows ME, etc.

    arajunk@hiwaay.net wrote:
    > I am using Windows ME. How do you get to the stuff on far right of
    > "start" + "programs" screen??? Bet there is a simple answer. Smaller
    > font would allow more on page; but, eventually, the page would still
    > be full.
    >
    > Here's a picture of the screen.
    > http://home.hiwaay.net/~ara36/xxStartScreen.gif

    Well you could start by getting rid of a lot of them I'm sure, the
    programmes will remain on your computer, this menu is just made up of
    shortcuts.

    Otherwise go into the c:\documents and settings\'your name'\start menu
    folder and organise your things into new folders, so that similar stuff
    is together, Norton with Norton, Netscape with Netscape, then general
    tools in a folder marked Tools for instance, Net stuff together,
    graphics stuff together etc>.

  3. Re: How to view all of "start" + "programs" screen Windows ME, etc.

    > > Here's a picture of the screen.
    > > http://home.hiwaay.net/~ara36/xxStartScreen.gif

    Can you crank it to a higher resolution, like 1024*768 ?

  4. Re: How to view all of "start" + "programs" screen Windows ME, etc.

    Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:53:34 +0200, John of Aix schrob:

    > arajunk@hiwaay.net wrote:
    >> I am using Windows ME. How do you get to the stuff on far right of
    >> "start" + "programs" screen??? Bet there is a simple answer. Smaller
    >> font would allow more on page; but, eventually, the page would still
    >> be full.
    >>
    >> Here's a picture of the screen.
    >> http://home.hiwaay.net/~ara36/xxStartScreen.gif

    Hm...
    I wonder how long you need to start a program.
    My start menu is sorted hierarchically. The first level below "Programs"
    contains categories like Development, Network, Multimedia, Office, Games,
    Tools, Science.
    Then these are subclassed, e.g. Network into Sever and Communications,
    Multimedia into Codecs, Graphics, Video, Audio, and Tools into System and
    file system.

    This has two main advantages:
    First, you have small lists that you have to look through, making the
    search for an entry faster.
    Second, assuming a good naming of the entries, you can start all programs
    with the keyboard, which is considerably faster than using a mouse,
    especially if the menus are as big as yours.

    Example: Thunderbird is -P-N-C-T (Programs -> Network ->
    Communications -> Thunderbird
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  5. Re: How to view all of "start" + "programs" screen Windows ME, etc.

    Thanks!! The solution seems to be organization. Assuming I don't care
    for a higher resolution or smaller font. Actually, I seldom use
    as I have my stuff oranized in folders within the start
    menu. just keeps growing as installs are made.

  6. Re: How to view all of "start" + "programs" screen Windows ME, etc.

    arajunk@hiwaay.net wrote:
    > Thanks!! The solution seems to be organization. Assuming I don't
    > care for a higher resolution or smaller font. Actually, I seldom use
    > as I have my stuff oranized in folders within the start
    > menu. just keeps growing as installs are made.

    I've got about five things in mine, the rest is on the desktop in
    folders and sub folders. I hate the Start menu

  7. Re: How to view all of "start" + "programs" screen Windows ME, etc.

    Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:33:51 +0200, John of Aix schrob:

    > arajunk@hiwaay.net wrote:
    >> Thanks!! The solution seems to be organization. Assuming I don't
    >> care for a higher resolution or smaller font. Actually, I seldom use
    >> as I have my stuff oranized in folders within the start
    >> menu. just keeps growing as installs are made.

    > I've got about five things in mine, the rest is on the desktop in
    > folders and sub folders. I hate the Start menu

    They're doing the same thing on PDAs. But I, for my part, don't like those
    monolithic "menus", the cascading one is faster. But at the end, it's all
    down to tastes and (dis)likes.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

+ Reply to Thread