Re: Forcing Irfanview to be my TWAIN source (how)? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: Forcing Irfanview to be my TWAIN source (how)? - Microsoft Windows ; > [Indirection] > Directory= > > [TWAIN Identity] > DataSource=hpodss07.dll > DSEntryPoint=DS_Entry .... > Here is my first-pass guess at a manual TWAIN installation procedure? Actually, I realize now that DS stands for DATA SOURCE. So I change the 180KB ...

  1. Re: Forcing Irfanview to be my TWAIN source (how)?

    > [Indirection]
    > Directory=
    >
    > [TWAIN Identity]
    > DataSource=hpodss07.dll
    > DSEntryPoint=DS_Entry

    > Here is my first-pass guess at a manual TWAIN installation procedure?

    Actually, I realize now that DS stands for DATA SOURCE.
    So I change the 180KB file name to "hpodss07.dll"

    Now I need to figure out how to manually install an INI file.
    I wish I could just rightclick on the ini file and select "install" but
    that doesn't seem to be in the option list. When I right click, I can
    only "open" which brings the INI file up in Notepad. Likewise when I
    doubleclick on the ini file.

    Does anyone know how to manually install an INI file?

    CCN

  2. Re: Forcing Irfanview to be my TWAIN source (how)?

    In article <1119766490.696055.209150@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    camcordernut@yahoo.com says...

    > Here is my first-pass guess at a manual TWAIN installation procedure?

    Slow down. You're going about it entirely the wrong way, 180 off. You
    do NOT do anything special. The twain driver is just your ordinary
    scanner driver, the one which you use to preview and scan with.

    The normal scanner installation installs it. You cannot "rename" any
    file to .ds to create it (any more than you can create a picture of
    your dog by renaming some file to JPG). Just use your scanners regular
    install procedure to do the regular scanner install. It is an entirely
    automatic procedure.

    The twain driver file is named nameofyourscanner.ds, and it will appear
    in the folder at \windows\twain_32\. Irfanview and other programs
    will show a list of whatever is there in their Select Twain Source
    interface. You cannot add it, you need to discover why the normal
    install is not adding it.

    Your only hope is to follow the instructions to do the conventional
    scanner install.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

  3. Re: Forcing Irfanview to be my TWAIN source (how)?

    Wayne wrote:

    > In article <1119766490.696055.209150@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > camcordernut@yahoo.com says...
    >

    >>Here is my first-pass guess at a manual TWAIN installation procedure?

    > Slow down. You're going about it entirely the wrong way, 180 off. You
    > do NOT do anything special. The twain driver is just your ordinary
    > scanner driver, the one which you use to preview and scan with.
    >
    > The normal scanner installation installs it. You cannot "rename" any
    > file to .ds to create it (any more than you can create a picture of
    > your dog by renaming some file to JPG). Just use your scanners regular
    > install procedure to do the regular scanner install. It is an entirely
    > automatic procedure.
    >
    > The twain driver file is named nameofyourscanner.ds, and it will appear
    > in the folder at \windows\twain_32\. Irfanview and other programs
    > will show a list of whatever is there in their Select Twain Source
    > interface. You cannot add it, you need to discover why the normal
    > install is not adding it.
    >
    > Your only hope is to follow the instructions to do the conventional
    > scanner install.

    Good info and thanks!
    I've used IrfanView for years and prefer it to everything else out
    there. GF has a scanner but I don't think she knows that IrfanView
    interfaces to it. Thanks for your post.

  4. Re: Forcing Irfanview to be my TWAIN source (how)?

    In article ,
    William.Plummer-NOSPAM-@comcast.net says...

    >Good info and thanks!
    >I've used IrfanView for years and prefer it to everything else out
    >there. GF has a scanner but I don't think she knows that IrfanView
    >interfaces to it. Thanks for your post.

    I have no clue, but (assuming Windows XP) if the .ds file is present, but
    Irfanview is not seeing it, then try logging on to XP as Administrator,
    maybe it is seen then. Such problems occur in XP.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

  5. Re: Forcing Irfanview to be my TWAIN source (how)?

    "CCN" wrote in message
    news:1119766490.696055.209150@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > > [Indirection]
    > > Directory=
    > >
    > > [TWAIN Identity]
    > > DataSource=hpodss07.dll
    > > DSEntryPoint=DS_Entry

    > > Here is my first-pass guess at a manual TWAIN installation procedure?

    > Actually, I realize now that DS stands for DATA SOURCE.
    > So I change the 180KB file name to "hpodss07.dll"
    >
    > Now I need to figure out how to manually install an INI file.
    > I wish I could just rightclick on the ini file and select "install" but
    > that doesn't seem to be in the option list. When I right click, I can
    > only "open" which brings the INI file up in Notepad. Likewise when I
    > doubleclick on the ini file.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to manually install an INI file?
    >
    > CCN

    If you have the file in it's original form (this usually gets installed
    automatically) you may be able to paste it into the system32 folder...but it
    is not recommended.

    The driver installation should put things where they belong and if it does
    not then it simply won't work. On XP it is possible that the .ds file, if
    installed by the driver in the twain32 folder (you should only see two
    things there unless you have other TWAIN device drivers installed) is not
    the default source and this is probably the biggese roadblock in
    scanner/camera installations.

    The default source setting means that this device is automatcally accessed
    when doing an image acquisition and if the device you are using is not set
    as the default source then it will give you TWAIN errors. Depending on the
    TWAIN error you can sometimes nail it down to what is happening.

    XP is also notorious for having incorrect Permission settings and most TWAIN
    devices need ADMIN level access to work (at least with Epson devices).

    So, having said all that, if you have tried to install a driver there are
    two places it should show up...the Device Manager as an Imaging Device and
    in your Registry under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER (also under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)
    with Permission set to Allow full control and read access.

    If the device does not show up in the device manager as what it is (HP
    ScanJet or other) then you may have connectivity issues. If it does show up
    but as an other or unknown device then your driver is not installed
    correctly. If you have installed some XP driver for your device then try
    updating the driver from the Device Manager.

    Guess it boils down to what shows up in the Devman and whether you have
    actually installed an XP VERSION (WIN2k drivers may also work) of the
    driver.

+ Reply to Thread