NT 4.0 Hard drive crash, trying to restore data from tape backup, unrecognizable format, unknown backup software - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on NT 4.0 Hard drive crash, trying to restore data from tape backup, unrecognizable format, unknown backup software - Microsoft Windows ; Hello, I have a customer that has lost the hard drive to an NT 4.0 box. They have tape backups but I'm not sure what backup software they were using. (Last guy left no cd's behind) I've tried different ones, ...

  1. NT 4.0 Hard drive crash, trying to restore data from tape backup, unrecognizable format, unknown backup software

    Hello,
    I have a customer that has lost the hard drive to an NT 4.0 box. They
    have tape backups but I'm not sure what backup software they were
    using. (Last guy left no cd's behind) I've tried different ones,
    Colorado, BackupAssist, backupexec, veritas(version 10, hoping it would
    be backwards compatible). Still unable to find one to reconize the
    format.
    Anyone know of a software that will read several formats, or any other
    suggestions??
    Tape backup is s seagate STT320000A

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: NT 4.0 Hard drive crash, trying to restore data from tape backup,unrecognizable format, unknown backup software

    hallcommunications@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have a customer that has lost the hard drive to an NT 4.0 box. They
    > have tape backups but I'm not sure what backup software they were
    > using. (Last guy left no cd's behind) I've tried different ones,
    > Colorado, BackupAssist, backupexec, veritas(version 10, hoping it would
    > be backwards compatible). Still unable to find one to reconize the
    > format.
    > Anyone know of a software that will read several formats, or any other
    > suggestions??
    > Tape backup is s seagate STT320000A
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Since the backup media is tape, Windows NT 4.0 had its own
    backup application. Install Windows NT and restore through
    this built-in application.

  3. Re: NT 4.0 Hard drive crash, trying to restore data from tape backup, unrecognizable format, unknown backup software

    Thanks for the reply. I can't do that, ntbackup doens't reconize the
    format of the tape.
    Thank anyway though.

  4. Re: NT 4.0 Hard drive crash, trying to restore data from tape backup, unrecognizable format, unknown backup software

    > Thanks for the reply. I can't do that, ntbackup doens't reconize the
    > format of the tape.
    > Thank anyway though.

    I wonder if you can access the header of the backup data to see if it
    might give you any ID strings (i.e. using a hex editor)