Spying for file activity - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Spying for file activity - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I use VLC media player to play MP4 files from an HTTP server. I suspect that the player is copying the file locally into some temporary folder before playing it. How can I find out where it is copying ...

  1. Spying for file activity

    Hi, I use VLC media player to play MP4 files from an HTTP server. I
    suspect that the player is copying the file locally into some temporary
    folder before playing it.

    How can I find out where it is copying this? Any spy-tools available?

    Thanks
    Rohan

  2. Re: Spying for file activity

    RonRan wrote:
    > Hi, I use VLC media player to play MP4 files from an HTTP server. I
    > suspect that the player is copying the file locally into some temporary
    > folder before playing it.
    >
    > How can I find out where it is copying this? Any spy-tools available?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Rohan

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,22271,00.asp
    But i really doubt that its writing the streams somewhere on hd.

    --
    Tomek Rudzinski
    rudzinski(AT)czg(DOT)pl

  3. Re: Spying for file activity

    thanks for the reply!

    If not writing to HD, it must be allocating huge memory for it. How do
    I monitor in detail, the memory allocations of a particular process. I
    want to know how much memory it allocates just for buffering this data.
    Task manager will give me the memory for all the things going on in the
    player.

    Can anyone suggest any Spy++ like tool to spy for some mem alloc system
    calls by a process?

  4. Re: Spying for file activity

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html
    Give that a shot. It's a powerful tool.