What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's... - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's... - Microsoft Windows ; My Dell 8200 is racked with spyware/malware from child using Kazaa, etc. I've tried the remedies mentioned on geekstogo.com (a laundry list of programs to run - Adaware, Spybot, Ewido, NAV, etc.) - but the stuff just seems to resurface. ...

  1. What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    My Dell 8200 is racked with spyware/malware from child using Kazaa, etc.
    I've tried the remedies mentioned on geekstogo.com (a laundry list of
    programs to run - Adaware, Spybot, Ewido, NAV, etc.) - but the stuff just
    seems to resurface. Anyway, there are not so many files or applications on
    there so I thought it would just be easier to backup files, re-format hard
    drive and re-load applications/files. Problem is: I can't locate any of the
    CD's that came with my Dell (which is beyond the 3-year support period now).
    Can anyone tell me what my options are? short of going out and buying
    Windows again...?

    Thx in advance,
    -Dave

  2. Re: What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    Could be Spyware trying to hijack you. Download, install, update and run all
    of the following.

    Ad-Aware

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
    it can be analyzed.

    HijackThis

    "waywardguy" wrote in message
    > My Dell 8200 is racked with spyware/malware from child using Kazaa,
    > etc. I've tried the remedies mentioned on geekstogo.com (a laundry
    > list of programs to run - Adaware, Spybot, Ewido, NAV, etc.) - but
    > the stuff just seems to resurface. Anyway, there are not so many
    > files or applications on there so I thought it would just be easier
    > to backup files, re-format hard drive and re-load applications/files.
    > Problem is: I can't locate any of the CD's that came with my Dell
    > (which is beyond the 3-year support period now). Can anyone tell me
    > what my options are? short of going out and buying Windows again...?
    >
    > Thx in advance,
    > -Dave

  3. Re: What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste
    it back here to the group so that it can be analyzed.

    HijackThis

    "waywardguy" wrote in message
    > My Dell 8200 is racked with spyware/malware from child using Kazaa, etc.
    > I've tried the remedies mentioned on geekstogo.com (a laundry list of
    > programs to run - Adaware, Spybot, Ewido, NAV, etc.) - but the stuff just
    > seems to resurface. Anyway, there are not so many files or applications
    > on there so I thought it would just be easier to backup files, re-format
    > hard drive and re-load applications/files. Problem is: I can't locate any
    > of the CD's that came with my Dell (which is beyond the 3-year support
    > period now). Can anyone tell me what my options are? short of going out
    > and buying Windows again...?
    >
    > Thx in advance,
    > -Dave

  4. Re: What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    > Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste
    > it back here to the group so that it can be analyzed.
    > HijackThis
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

    Agreed - i`ve got some other tips on my site at :

    http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

    You can also post your HijackThis logfile into www.hijackthis.de but use
    the results for guidance only - it isn`t always accurate.

  5. Re: What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    You worthless troll, stop forging me!

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and
    > paste it back here to the group so that it can be analyzed.
    >
    > HijackThis
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    >

    > "waywardguy" wrote in message
    >> My Dell 8200 is racked with spyware/malware from child using Kazaa,
    >> etc. I've tried the remedies mentioned on geekstogo.com (a laundry
    >> list of programs to run - Adaware, Spybot, Ewido, NAV, etc.) - but
    >> the stuff just seems to resurface. Anyway, there are not so many
    >> files or applications on there so I thought it would just be easier
    >> to backup files, re-format hard drive and re-load
    >> applications/files. Problem is: I can't locate any of the CD's that
    >> came with my Dell (which is beyond the 3-year support period now).
    >> Can anyone tell me what my options are? short of going out and
    >> buying Windows again...? Thx in advance,
    >> -Dave

  6. Re: What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > Could be Spyware trying to hijack you. Download, install, update and
    > run all of the following.
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    >
    > Spybot search and destroy
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    >
    > Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
    >
    > If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
    > it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the
    > group so that it can be analyzed.
    >
    > HijackThis
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    >
    > "waywardguy" wrote in message
    >> My Dell 8200 is racked with spyware/malware from child using Kazaa,
    >> etc. I've tried the remedies mentioned on geekstogo.com (a laundry
    >> list of programs to run - Adaware, Spybot, Ewido, NAV, etc.) - but
    >> the stuff just seems to resurface. Anyway, there are not so many
    >> files or applications on there so I thought it would just be easier
    >> to backup files, re-format hard drive and re-load applications/files.
    >> Problem is: I can't locate any of the CD's that came with my Dell
    >> (which is beyond the 3-year support period now). Can anyone tell me
    >> what my options are? short of going out and buying Windows again...?
    >>
    >> Thx in advance,
    >> -Dave

  7. Re: What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    Try turning off System restore. The files may be hiding in there.
    Then do your scans in safe mode by booting up and pressing F8. You
    don't want to do the scans while the spyware is running.

  8. Re: What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    First off: Many thanks to all those who've responded - much appreciated.

    In response: I have hijackthis - and all of the utilities for detecting
    removing adware/spyware/malware. But what I was getting at is, at least in
    my case, repeated runs of a great many programs (cleanup; adaware, spyboy,
    some antivirus software, CWSShredder, a trojan finder, etc.) seems like more
    work than just saving critical files, reformatting hard drive and rebuilding
    from scratch. I've run this list of programs repeatedly, only to see the
    problems resurface.

    Judging by the number and consistency of the responses I've received, I get
    the sense that you all think trying to fix the problems is a better solution
    than the more draconian "wipe it out and start again" approach. In my case,
    the challenge I was having was misplacing my windows CD's to begin with, so
    I was inquiring about that process (i.e. how I could rebuild without them -
    buy (gulp) Windows again, some other method...?). Wanted to see what that
    would entail vs. the repeated, unsuccessful spyware removal attempts. Does
    this make sense? Or is it just better to run through all of the spyware
    programs and keep trying to resolve that way...?

    Thx again - MUCH appreciated,

    -Dave
    "pcbutts1" wrote in message
    news:Q9Cue.1471$N22.601@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com ...
    > Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and
    > paste it back here to the group so that it can be analyzed.
    >
    > HijackThis
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    >
    > --

    > "waywardguy" wrote in message
    >> My Dell 8200 is racked with spyware/malware from child using Kazaa, etc.
    >> I've tried the remedies mentioned on geekstogo.com (a laundry list of
    >> programs to run - Adaware, Spybot, Ewido, NAV, etc.) - but the stuff just
    >> seems to resurface. Anyway, there are not so many files or applications
    >> on there so I thought it would just be easier to backup files, re-format
    >> hard drive and re-load applications/files. Problem is: I can't locate
    >> any of the CD's that came with my Dell (which is beyond the 3-year
    >> support period now). Can anyone tell me what my options are? short of
    >> going out and buying Windows again...?
    >>
    >> Thx in advance,
    >> -Dave

  9. Re: What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    Post your hijackthis log so I can look at it.

    > First off: Many thanks to all those who've responded - much appreciated.
    >
    > In response: I have hijackthis - and all of the utilities for detecting
    > removing adware/spyware/malware. But what I was getting at is, at least
    > in my case, repeated runs of a great many programs (cleanup; adaware,
    > spyboy, some antivirus software, CWSShredder, a trojan finder, etc.) seems
    > like more work than just saving critical files, reformatting hard drive
    > and rebuilding from scratch. I've run this list of programs repeatedly,
    > only to see the problems resurface.
    >
    > Judging by the number and consistency of the responses I've received, I
    > get the sense that you all think trying to fix the problems is a better
    > solution than the more draconian "wipe it out and start again" approach.
    > In my case, the challenge I was having was misplacing my windows CD's to
    > begin with, so I was inquiring about that process (i.e. how I could
    > rebuild without them - buy (gulp) Windows again, some other method...?).
    > Wanted to see what that would entail vs. the repeated, unsuccessful
    > spyware removal attempts. Does this make sense? Or is it just better to
    > run through all of the spyware programs and keep trying to resolve that
    > way...?
    >
    > Thx again - MUCH appreciated,
    >
    > -Dave
    > "pcbutts1" wrote in message
    > news:Q9Cue.1471$N22.601@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com ...
    >> Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and
    >> paste it back here to the group so that it can be analyzed.
    >>
    >> HijackThis
    >> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    >>
    >> --

    >> "waywardguy" wrote in message
    >>> My Dell 8200 is racked with spyware/malware from child using Kazaa, etc.
    >>> I've tried the remedies mentioned on geekstogo.com (a laundry list of
    >>> programs to run - Adaware, Spybot, Ewido, NAV, etc.) - but the stuff
    >>> just seems to resurface. Anyway, there are not so many files or
    >>> applications on there so I thought it would just be easier to backup
    >>> files, re-format hard drive and re-load applications/files. Problem is:
    >>> I can't locate any of the CD's that came with my Dell (which is beyond
    >>> the 3-year support period now). Can anyone tell me what my options are?
    >>> short of going out and buying Windows again...?
    >>>
    >>> Thx in advance,
    >>> -Dave

  10. Re: What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    > Wanted to see what that would entail vs. the repeated, unsuccessful
    > spyware removal attempts. Does this make sense? Or is it just better
    > to run through all of the spyware programs and keep trying to resolve
    > that way...?

    It makes sense up to a point - you`ll have a "clean" system which can
    help speed things up, but the flip-side is you`ll lose every update,
    which means your highly prone to more of the same until you manage to
    patch up. And you`ll need to find your XP cd :-}

  11. Re: sorry sorry sorry

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    > I like life in the fast lane, but I'm always in the pits.

  12. Re: What are my options? Want to reformat hard drive but can't find my XP CD's...

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > Post your hijackthis log so I can look at it.

    You mean post the log so you can paste into a website so you can give the
    impression you're intelligent? Like when you plagiarised the code written by
    an MVP and put your own name in there.

+ Reply to Thread