USB memory stick raw r/w access - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on USB memory stick raw r/w access - Microsoft Windows ; Not sure if this is the right group, but what the heck. I'm looking to write a binary image to a USB memory stick using a Windows box. I can currently do this using dd in linux, but can't seem ...

  1. USB memory stick raw r/w access

    Not sure if this is the right group, but what the heck.

    I'm looking to write a binary image to a USB memory stick using a
    Windows box. I can currently do this using dd in linux, but can't seem
    to find anything for a Windows box. I would have thought rawrite might
    have been modified to do this, but perhaps it's just not possible (a
    search revealed nothing.)

    Thanks for any tips.

  2. Re: USB memory stick raw r/w access

    "daveoman" writes:
    > Not sure if this is the right group, but what the heck.
    >
    > I'm looking to write a binary image to a USB memory stick using a
    > Windows box. I can currently do this using dd in linux, but can't seem
    > to find anything for a Windows box. I would have thought rawrite might
    > have been modified to do this, but perhaps it's just not possible (a
    > search revealed nothing.)

    Cygwin includes the dd program. I don't know whether it works with
    USB memory sticks the same was as it does on Linux, and if you don't
    want Cygwin for other reasons, installing it may be overkill.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>