PATH=0; at entering command prompt - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on PATH=0; at entering command prompt - Microsoft Windows ; I have encountered a curious and annoying problem, and I hope someone may have a solution to it. I use Win98. In the autoexec.bat, I add a couple of directories to the PATH, like this: set PATH=%PATH%;C:\root\bin set PATH=%PATH%;C:\fmpp At ...

  1. PATH=0; at entering command prompt

    I have encountered a curious and annoying problem, and I hope someone
    may have a solution to it.

    I use Win98. In the autoexec.bat, I add a couple of directories to the
    PATH, like this:

    set PATH=%PATH%;C:\root\bin
    set PATH=%PATH%;C:\fmpp

    At the end of the autoexec.bat, I have an "echo %PATH%" statement. When
    I start up the computer, everything looks fine.

    But when Windows has started up and I enter the command prompt, all
    this PATH information is gone. Typing "echo %PATH%" gives only "0".

    This problem popped up today. A week or so ago, everything functioned
    properly, and I haven't touched the autoexec.bat in the meantime.

    Any ideas what can be the cause of this problem, and especially, any
    suggestions on how to solve it?

    Thanks in advance,
    Garmt de Vries.

  2. Re: PATH=0; at entering command prompt

    Start the computer in DOS and see if the path is correct. If not, the problem
    is probably in the autoexec.bat file. If this doesn't help, please repost with
    more information, including how you are opening a command prompt under
    Windows.

    Ben

    wrote in message news:1119527759.524811.110200@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > I have encountered a curious and annoying problem, and I hope someone
    > may have a solution to it.
    >
    > I use Win98. In the autoexec.bat, I add a couple of directories to the
    > PATH, like this:
    >
    > set PATH=%PATH%;C:\root\bin
    > set PATH=%PATH%;C:\fmpp
    >
    > At the end of the autoexec.bat, I have an "echo %PATH%" statement. When
    > I start up the computer, everything looks fine.
    >
    > But when Windows has started up and I enter the command prompt, all
    > this PATH information is gone. Typing "echo %PATH%" gives only "0".
    >
    > This problem popped up today. A week or so ago, everything functioned
    > properly, and I haven't touched the autoexec.bat in the meantime.
    >
    > Any ideas what can be the cause of this problem, and especially, any
    > suggestions on how to solve it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Garmt de Vries.

  3. Re: PATH=0; at entering command prompt

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Start the computer in DOS and see if the path is correct. If not, the problem
    > is probably in the autoexec.bat file.

    Thanks for your reaction. Meanwhile, I found out that the problem was
    caused by a bug hidden deep in a logon script at the university's NT
    network. Well, at least this has prompted me to clean up my
    autoexec.bat

    thanks,
    Garmt de Vries.

+ Reply to Thread