Help with start run commands - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Help with start run commands - Microsoft Windows ; Can some one please tell me where I can find a list of the commonly used trouble shooting commands such as "winipcfg" Old_Timer...

  1. Help with start run commands

    Can some one please tell me where I can find a list of the commonly
    used trouble shooting commands such as "winipcfg"

    Old_Timer

  2. Re: Help with start run commands

    Networking Tools

    Ping.exe : The BIG one. This is probably one of the most used tools for
    TCP/IP. Ping sends ICMP Echo Requests to verify that TCP/IP is
    configured correctly and that a remote TCP/IP system is available. Ping
    is very customizable through switches. This should be your first stop
    during times of networking problems. Using it to test network response
    time is but one of it's many functions.

    Arp.exe : allows you to view and modify the ARP (Address Resolution
    Protocol) cache on the interface of the local computer to detect
    invalid entries.

    Nslookup.exe : Check records, domain host aliases, domain host
    services, and operating system information by querying Internet domain
    name servers. When you start Nslookup, it shows the host name and IP
    address of the DNS server that is configured for the local system, and
    then display a command prompt for further queries. If you type a
    question mark (?), Nslookup shows all available commands. You can exit
    the program by typing exit. To look up a host's IP address using DNS,
    type the host name and press Enter. Nslookup defaults to using the DNS
    server configured for the computer on which it is running, but you can
    focus it on a different DNS server by typing server (where is the host
    name of the server you want to use for future lookups). Once another
    server is specified, anything entered after that point is interpreted
    as a host name.

    Hostname.exe : Displays the hostname of the computer.

    Ipconfig.exe : Displays current TCP/IP network configuration values.
    You can update or release DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)
    allocated leases, and display register, or flush DNS (Domain Name
    System) names. Output can be redirected to a file if desired.

    Nbtstat.exe : Check the state of current Netbios over TCP/IP
    connections, update the NETBIOS name cache, and determine the
    registered names and scope ID. Nbtstat is designed to help troubleshoot
    NetBIOS name resolution problems. When a network is working ok, NetBIOS
    over TCP/IP (NetBT) resolves NetBIOS names to IP addresses. It does
    this through several options for NetBIOS name resolution, including
    local cache lookup, WINS server query, broadcast, LMHOSTS lookup, Hosts
    lookup, and DNS server query.

    Netstat.exe : Displays protocol statistics and current TCP/IP
    connections. Very cool utility. Try running it while connected to the
    net.

    Pathping.exe : Trace a path to a remote system and report packet losses
    at each router along the way. Pathping combines features of Tracert and
    ping.

    Route.exe : Display the IP routing table, and add or delete IP routes.

    Tracert: Trace a path to a remote system. This tool gives you the
    number of hops a packet must make to get there, and the IP address of
    each hop. It does this for a maximum of 30 hops. This tool is very
    useful for seeing where a problem with a slow response time may lie.

    NetDiag.exe : a diagnostic tool that helps isolate networking and
    connectivity problems by performing a series of tests to determine the
    state your network client and whether it is functional. Using the /l
    switch will output results to netdiag.log as the results can be
    lengthy. This tool will likely not be installed on your system by
    default. What you must do is go into your Windows 2000 CD in the
    support/tools directory. Run the setup file there for full access to
    the Windows 2000 Support Tools. I had problems with getting this
    program running due to fatal errors from it, but see how you make out.
    I'll keeps troubleshooting it to see what I can do.

    Non Networking Tools

    /? switch displays options on these utilities as well.

    Sfc.exe : System File Checker. This utility scans protected system
    files and replaces files overwritten with the correct system files
    provided by Microsoft. This could prove to be an invaluable tool for
    repairing your system after some of those search and replace programs
    that we all know so well get through with your system files.

    Verifier.exe : Driver Verifier. This utility runs a series of checks in
    the Windows 2000 Kernel to expose errors in kernel-mode drivers. It can
    gather statistics from the kernel, which are displayed by the GUI or
    logged in a file. Running verifier with no command line switches starts
    Driver Verifier Manager, which is in a GUI interface.

    Drivers.exe : Lists all drivers currently running on a system from the
    %SystemRoot%System32drivers folder. You can use this tool to identify a
    driver that may be causing problems due to corruption or because it is
    missing, not loaded, or outdated.

+ Reply to Thread