Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition - Microsoft Windows ; Hi folks, I've received great help before from you and since now I#ve tried all the things that possibly came to my mind I'm asking again for help. Here's my problem: Because of a failing hard drive (SMART warning) I've ...

  1. Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition

    Hi folks,

    I've received great help before from you and since now I#ve tried all the
    things that possibly came to my mind I'm asking again for help.

    Here's my problem:

    Because of a failing hard drive (SMART warning) I've tried to replicate
    all data on the replacement hdd (identical model).

    At first, using Norton Ghost 2002 from bootable floppy I tried to
    replicate the entire drive, but the process failed because of a read error
    somewhere towards the "end" of the drive. Then I decided to replicate my
    two partitions one by one. First I partitioned the new hard drive just
    like the old one was (using Partition Magic 7): one system partition
    (primary, active, NTFS - "C:") and one "data" partition (also primary,
    NTFS, "D:"). Using Norton Ghost again I replicated the system partition
    and decided to copy the files on the data partition later manually
    (because the bad sectors were obviously on that one). Leaving the data
    partition completely aside now, the problem I encountered was that after
    disconnecting the old drive and jumpering the new one as "master", when
    booting Windows from the new drive and logging in, there comes an error
    msg or warning about not enough swap space and how to set up the page file
    properly. However, after I click "OK", the logon dialog reappears at once,
    then after logging in the swap warning appears again, then back to the
    login box and so on. So that the actual Windows desktop never comes up,
    leaving me no chance to set up the page file.

    I think I undesrstand why a pagefile problem occurs: Norton Ghost probably
    just copies the files, more or less, not replicating their exact physical
    locations, therefore the "cloned" Windows installation doesn't find it's
    pagefile where expected. However, I didn't find an option in Norton Ghost
    for "raw" (sector by sector) copying. Maybe it does that when duplicating
    the entire drive, but that failed before already due to bad sectors.

    What irritates me most is the strange "loop"-like behaviour of Windows,
    after login and the popup of the warning message immediately returning to
    the login box again, wihtout ever getting to the desktop.

    I didn't try out the "boot to command prompt" option because I don't know
    of any way to set up the page file using shell commands. The "safe"
    start mode (or whatever it's called; my copy of Windows is in German)
    didn't work - I got caught in the same loop.

    Also using different options for partition duplicating in Norton Ghost
    (direct IDE access; copy standard/boot/all sectors; etc.) didn't make a
    difference so far.

    Please help me with that - It's been 4 days already since I'm working on
    this and I have to send the "bad" drive back within the week.

    Many thanks in advance!!

    Andrei

    --

    "An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds. A
    pessimist is sure of it." - Anonymous

  2. Re: Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition

    "Serban Andrei Dumitrescu" wrote:

    Multiposting is a BAD HABIT!
    Multiposting to groups in different usenet hierarchies is REALLY EVIL!
    First find the ONE AND ONLY group where your question is on topic, then
    post, in the appropriate language! Fup set to comp.os.ms-windows.misc.
    And no, I won't read YOU again.

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I've received great help before from you and since now I#ve tried all the
    > things that possibly came to my mind I'm asking again for help.
    >
    > Here's my problem:
    >
    > Because of a failing hard drive (SMART warning) I've tried to replicate
    > all data on the replacement hdd (identical model).

    [a fool with a tool is still a fool]

    Get a small Linux recovery floppy or CD and use dd_rescue to copy the
    hdd by sector.

    Stefan

  3. Re: Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition

    and what is setting of your original swap file?

    "Serban Andrei Dumitrescu" píse v diskusním
    príspevku
    news:Pine.SGI.4.61.0506211740000.9168168@Komma.ZED AT.FU-Berlin.DE...

> [...]
    > the login box again, wihtout ever getting to the desktop.
    >
    > I didn't try out the "boot to command prompt" option because I don't know
    > of any way to set up the page file using shell commands. The "safe"
    > start mode (or whatever it's called; my copy of Windows is in German)
    > didn't work - I got caught in the same loop.
    >
    > Also using different options for partition duplicating in Norton Ghost
    > (direct IDE access; copy standard/boot/all sectors; etc.) didn't make a
    > difference so far.
    >
    > Please help me with that - It's been 4 days already since I'm working on
    > this and I have to send the "bad" drive back within the week.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance!!
    >
    > Andrei
    >
    > --
    >
    > "An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds. A

  4. OT Re: Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition

    Stefan Kanthak wrote:

    [englisches]

    Ich habs vergessen, wie hast du dich in einem früheren posting mal selbst
    bezeichnet?

    > Stefan

    und wo ist der "[", den ich so liebe? ;-)
    --
    MwfG Volker
    Hotmail ist nur der Mülleimer

  5. Re: Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition

    If its only data you wish to recover why nor simply partition/format new hd,
    connected as master, with win cd then connect old hd as slave and copy data
    to new

    "Serban Andrei Dumitrescu" wrote in message
> [...]
    > the login box again, wihtout ever getting to the desktop.
    >
    > I didn't try out the "boot to command prompt" option because I don't know
    > of any way to set up the page file using shell commands. The "safe"
    > start mode (or whatever it's called; my copy of Windows is in German)
    > didn't work - I got caught in the same loop.
    >
    > Also using different options for partition duplicating in Norton Ghost
    > (direct IDE access; copy standard/boot/all sectors; etc.) didn't make a
    > difference so far.
    >
    > Please help me with that - It's been 4 days already since I'm working on
    > this and I have to send the "bad" drive back within the week.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance!!
    >
    > Andrei
    >
    > --
    >
    > "An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds. A

  6. Re: Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition

    Well it seems I didn't explain my problem clearly.
    I already copied the data manually with both drives plugged in, it's the
    system partition which I wanted to duplicate exactly, to save me the
    trouble of reinstalling windows and myriads of programs...

    I duplicated this partition with Norton Ghost, but when starting windows,
    after logging in there comes an error message about the page file not
    being set up correctly, and after acknowledging this by clicking " ok" the
    login dialog reappears immediately, and so on, leaving me no chance of
    geting to the actual windows desktop and correcting the problem.

    Any sugggestions?

    TIA,
    Andrei

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, DL wrote:

> [...]
    >> the login box again, wihtout ever getting to the desktop.
    >>
    >> I didn't try out the "boot to command prompt" option because I don't know
    >> of any way to set up the page file using shell commands. The "safe"
    >> start mode (or whatever it's called; my copy of Windows is in German)
    >> didn't work - I got caught in the same loop.
    >>
    >> Also using different options for partition duplicating in Norton Ghost
    >> (direct IDE access; copy standard/boot/all sectors; etc.) didn't make a
    >> difference so far.
    >>
    >> Please help me with that - It's been 4 days already since I'm working on
    >> this and I have to send the "bad" drive back within the week.
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance!!
    >>
    >> Andrei
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds. A

  7. Re: Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition

    I did not asked for size, but for location. Seems like your system is not
    able to access (either to find or open) your pagefile. If it is on different
    partition then C: then there can be problem if there is forced letter
    assigment in use. If it is your case, try to move pagefile to C: partition
    before cloning. Also it is better to release assigned drive letters before
    migration (at least on drive in question), because it is hard to release
    letter assigned to unconnected disk without special tool.

    In registry check key SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session
    manager/Memory Management

    Value PagingFiles is list of paging files and their defined sizes

    Value ClearPageFileAtShutdown can be set to 1 to enable this feature.
    Clearing of paging file before cloning can avoid some pagefile related
    problems during migration.

    > 382-1024 MB

    > "382" because that was the minimal size recommended by Windows in Control

    > Panel->System, and 1024 because that's double my RAM and I thought it

    > would be a good idea.

    > But I don't think it's got anything to do with any of it; it's Windows

    > trapped in a loop after login that's bothering me.

    > Thanks,

    > Andrei

  8. Re: Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition

    "Serban Andrei Dumitrescu" wrote in message
    news:Pine.SGI.4.61.0506221047490.9235630@Komma.ZED AT.FU-Berlin.DE...

    > Well it seems I didn't explain my problem clearly.
    > I already copied the data manually with both drives plugged in, it's the
    > system partition which I wanted to duplicate exactly, to save me the
    > trouble of reinstalling windows and myriads of programs...
    >
    > I duplicated this partition with Norton Ghost, but when starting windows,
    > after logging in there comes an error message about the page file not
    > being set up correctly, and after acknowledging this by clicking " ok" the
    > login dialog reappears immediately, and so on, leaving me no chance of
    > geting to the actual windows desktop and correcting the problem.
    >
    > Any sugggestions?

    Win98 bot diskette > fdisk/mbr

    --
    Joep

  9. Re: Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition

    Serban Andrei Dumitrescu formulated the question :
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I've received great help before from you and since now I#ve tried all the
    > things that possibly came to my mind I'm asking again for help.
    >
    > Here's my problem:
    >
    > Because of a failing hard drive (SMART warning) I've tried to replicate
    > all data on the replacement hdd (identical model).
    >
    > At first, using Norton Ghost 2002 from bootable floppy I tried to replicate
    > the entire drive, but the process failed because of a read error somewhere
    > towards the "end" of the drive. Then I decided to replicate my two partitions
    > one by one. First I partitioned the new hard drive just like the old one was
    > (using Partition Magic 7): one system partition (primary, active, NTFS -
    > "C:") and one "data" partition (also primary, NTFS, "D:"). Using Norton Ghost
    > again I replicated the system partition and decided to copy the files on the
    > data partition later manually (because the bad sectors were obviously on that
    > one). Leaving the data partition completely aside now, the problem I
    > encountered was that after disconnecting the old drive and jumpering the new
    > one as "master", when booting Windows from the new drive and logging in,
    > there comes an error msg or warning about not enough swap space and how to
    > set up the page file properly. However, after I click "OK", the logon dialog
    > reappears at once, then after logging in the swap warning appears again, then
    > back to the login box and so on. So that the actual Windows desktop never
    > comes up, leaving me no chance to set up the page file.
    >
    > I think I undesrstand why a pagefile problem occurs: Norton Ghost probably
    > just copies the files, more or less, not replicating their exact physical
    > locations, therefore the "cloned" Windows installation doesn't find it's
    > pagefile where expected. However, I didn't find an option in Norton Ghost for
    > "raw" (sector by sector) copying. Maybe it does that when duplicating the
    > entire drive, but that failed before already due to bad sectors.
    >
    > What irritates me most is the strange "loop"-like behaviour of Windows, after
    > login and the popup of the warning message immediately returning to the login
    > box again, wihtout ever getting to the desktop.
    >
    > I didn't try out the "boot to command prompt" option because I don't know of
    > any way to set up the page file using shell commands. The "safe" start mode
    > (or whatever it's called; my copy of Windows is in German) didn't work - I
    > got caught in the same loop.
    >
    > Also using different options for partition duplicating in Norton Ghost
    > (direct IDE access; copy standard/boot/all sectors; etc.) didn't make a
    > difference so far.
    >
    > Please help me with that - It's been 4 days already since I'm working on this
    > and I have to send the "bad" drive back within the week.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance!!
    >
    > Andrei

    this is a common mistake using imaging for cloning installations
    but it should not be a unrecoverable mistake
    even if it doesn't get copied along it shouldn't matter
    I delete the pagefile all the time before I make an image
    it decreases the image size considerably
    and I have never had any troubles

    boot into safe mode (with or without GUI)
    see to it that system and/or administrators have,
    at the least write permission on the root (C: or any other root)
    or better yet, full for system

    the pagefile will automagically be recreated
    even a tiny temp one of 20MB will do
    then you can set the option in the properties of my computer or however
    you are used to do this

    grtz

    --
    just a suggestion:

    d;-p

  10. Re: Pagefile problem after duplicating Win2000 partition

    Joep schrieb:

    > Win98 bot diskette > fdisk/mbr

    Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.
    With me it helped.