full install with upgrade xp? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on full install with upgrade xp? - Microsoft Windows ; I've heard it's possible to perform a full installation (i.e., on a freshly reformatted hard drive) of an "upgrade" version of Windows XP, as long as you have the CD of a previous version of Windows, to insert when prompted. ...

  1. full install with upgrade xp?

    I've heard it's possible to perform a full installation (i.e., on a
    freshly reformatted hard drive) of an "upgrade" version of Windows XP,
    as long as you have the CD of a previous version of Windows, to insert
    when prompted. Is this true? Will it work even if the previous
    version is an OEM version supplied by the system manufacturer (Micron)?
    Any potential drawbacks to installing XP this way?

  2. Re: full install with upgrade xp?

    stevenkobes@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I've heard it's possible to perform a full installation (i.e., on a
    >freshly reformatted hard drive) of an "upgrade" version of Windows XP,
    >as long as you have the CD of a previous version of Windows, to insert
    >when prompted. Is this true? Will it work even if the previous
    >version is an OEM version supplied by the system manufacturer (Micron)?
    > Any potential drawbacks to installing XP this way?

    This is true and should also work with OEM versions. To be on the safe
    side, ask the OEM, since these versions may behave differently.
    The result is the same as if you install with a Full version of
    Windows XP.

    --
    (tm)

+ Reply to Thread