    TIA,
    Simon.

  2. Re: dual win2000 install, both using C drive letter.

    On 2005-06-20, sm_jamieson@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I have a windows 2000 machine with 2 disks, system disk C and a new
    > drive named X using the disk manager. I want to install windows 2000 on
    > the new disk, but to have it called C when booted onto that drive. But
    > when I install win2000 using the standard installation disk, it
    > installs it on the new disk calling it X. This is not satifactory, as
    > some programs will not install correctly on a system disk called X. How
    > can I ensure that the system disk is always called C ?

    You need a boot managager program that hides the other installation (by
    changing the partition type identifier to something invalid).

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  3. Re: dual win2000 install, both using C drive letter.

    > You need a boot managager program that hides the other installation (by
    > changing the partition type identifier to something invalid).

    Yes, fair enough. Any good ones recommended ?
    What I did in the end was change the disk letter using partition
    manager 8.0
    (maybe that can actually do the hiding). I then had to fix the registry
    from another machine for the swapfile and userinit to boot it. Then I
    edited the registry to change all X: to C. I deleted the shared dlls
    which had 100s with X - I guessed they would be regenerated. Then
    various problems (e.g. add-ins in outlook) had to be fixed. Ran windows
    repair installation for good measure. Seems OK now. It would have been
    quicker to hide the partition and reboot ! I will do that next time.
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread