Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode. - Microsoft Windows ; Hello, If you could help me on this situation I would greatly appreciate it. PENTIUM III 800Mhz 384m RAM WINDOWS 98 second edition I can't get out from DOS mode as: "You are currently running MS-DOS mode. Do you want ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Hello,

    If you could help me on this situation I would greatly appreciate it.

    PENTIUM III 800Mhz
    384m RAM
    WINDOWS 98 second edition

    I can't get out from DOS mode as:

    "You are currently running MS-DOS mode. Do you want to return normal
    mode, to run WINDOWS applications again [ENTER = Y, ESC = N]"

    If I press enter or type "Y", the computer reboots and the same message
    appears.

    If I press esc or type "N" goes to:

    The following file is missing or corrupted WIN.COM
    File creation error
    C:\>

    The computer doesn't have any file I need to keep so that I tried to
    initialize it with WIN98 CD-ROM but when reboots it comes back to the
    same DOS message above.

    Also started the computer with WIN98 CD-ROM support but the screen
    says:

    MSDEX Version 2.25
    A:\>

    I don't know what command I should type at the DOS mode. Is there any
    way to return to normal WINDOWS?

    Thank you very much for your help.

    Sincerely,

  2. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    sprocketwally2@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > If you could help me on this situation I would greatly appreciate it.
    >
    > PENTIUM III 800Mhz
    > 384m RAM
    > WINDOWS 98 second edition
    >
    > I can't get out from DOS mode as:
    >
    > "You are currently running MS-DOS mode. Do you want to return normal
    > mode, to run WINDOWS applications again [ENTER = Y, ESC = N]"
    >
    > If I press enter or type "Y", the computer reboots and the same
    > message appears.
    >
    > If I press esc or type "N" goes to:
    >
    > The following file is missing or corrupted WIN.COM
    > File creation error

    Yes that is the file that launches Windows, though not Windows itself as
    yoiu can see by its small size

    > C:\>
    >
    > The computer doesn't have any file I need to keep so that I tried to
    > initialize it with WIN98 CD-ROM but when reboots it comes back to the
    > same DOS message above.

    Yes because it is still trying to boot on the hard dsik and still
    looking unsuccessfully for win.com

    > Also started the computer with WIN98 CD-ROM support but the screen
    > says:
    >
    > MSDEX Version 2.25
    > A:\>

    That's good.

    > I don't know what command I should type at the DOS mode. Is there any
    > way to return to normal WINDOWS?

    If you have only one hard disk then put your windows CD in the CD drive
    (put it in if you haven't done so), then type d:\install or perhaps
    d:\setup (which will start the installation programme on the CD). I
    can't remember if it is setup.exe or install.exe so you might have to
    try both), press the Enter key afterwards. If that doesn't work, or you
    have two CD/DVD drives you might have to type the above with 'e' (or
    even 'f) instead of 'd', they're the letters assigned to the drives by
    the system. You'll know because you'll get a message saying that the
    file wasn't found if you're on the wrong drive.

    If you booted off a disk it is likely that the CD drive letter will have
    been pushed one further, if it is normally D it will become E, so for
    the command above you'd need to type 'e' and 'f' rather than 'd' and 'e'
    (and the rest following of course, the Enter). This is because Windows
    creates a 'fake' disk for its own purposes when you boot on a dsik made
    for that with Window.

    The reinstallation will not change anything of your setup though it
    might add a couple of icons on the desktop that you had previously
    deleted, Internet Explorer for instance. Have the serial number handy,
    you might be asked for it.

    > Thank you very much for your help.

    You're welcome, come back if you need any more or don't understand.

  3. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    > I don't know what command I should type at the DOS mode. Is there any
    > way to return to normal WINDOWS?

    If its a normal Win98 install CD (not a "restore CD"), try booting from a
    floppy (www.bootdisk.com should be able to help), then run the "setup"
    program from the CD.

    A normal Win98 install CD will install over the top of any existing apps
    without losing them or any data (unless you`re really unlucky !)

    Failing that, you may be able to boot direct from the CD to install from
    there.

  4. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Thank you very much for your quick replies. I'm impressed.

    I was able to start WIN98 CD-ROM Set Up however in the middle of the
    process the computer reboots it and go back to the exactly the same DOS
    mode (same messages).

    I assume somewhere in the memory (BIOS? ROM?) has start it as DOS mode?

    Again the computer doesn't have any file I need. Is there any option
    to get this one boot to normal WINDOWS mode?

    Thank you again.

    Sincerely,

  5. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Start the computer, tap the F8 key repeatedly until the startup menu
    appears and select "Safe mode Command Prompt". Then type
    "win /wx" and press "Enter".

    Ben

    wrote in message news:1119279598.216785.123160@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > If you could help me on this situation I would greatly appreciate it.
    >
    > PENTIUM III 800Mhz
    > 384m RAM
    > WINDOWS 98 second edition
    >
    > I can't get out from DOS mode as:
    >
    > "You are currently running MS-DOS mode. Do you want to return normal
    > mode, to run WINDOWS applications again [ENTER = Y, ESC = N]"
    >
    > If I press enter or type "Y", the computer reboots and the same message
    > appears.
    >
    > If I press esc or type "N" goes to:
    >
    > The following file is missing or corrupted WIN.COM
    > File creation error
    > C:\>
    >
    > The computer doesn't have any file I need to keep so that I tried to
    > initialize it with WIN98 CD-ROM but when reboots it comes back to the
    > same DOS message above.
    >
    > Also started the computer with WIN98 CD-ROM support but the screen
    > says:
    >
    > MSDEX Version 2.25
    > A:\>
    >
    > I don't know what command I should type at the DOS mode. Is there any
    > way to return to normal WINDOWS?
    >
    > Thank you very much for your help.
    >
    > Sincerely,

  6. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Thank you very much for the reply.

    Pressed F8 and selected "Safe mode Command Prompt", typed "win /wx",
    pressed enter. That gets the massage as:

    "HIMEM.SYS is missing. Make sure that the file is in you Windows
    directing." Didn't go anywhere from that.

    I rebooted it with F8 and selected "Safe Mode". It gets "Cannot Detect
    Devices in Safe Mode" alert, pressed OK and the computer goes to Safe
    Mode! But restart it for the normal WONDOWS goes back to DOS mode
    again (same message as the first post above.)

    Is there any other option get rid of DOS mode at the boot?

    Sincerely,

  7. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Start the computer, tap the F8 key repeatedly until the startup menu
    > appears and select "Safe mode Command Prompt". Then type
    > "win /wx" and press "Enter".

    Hi

    What does the /wx do?

  8. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    sprocketwally2@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Thank you very much for the reply.
    >
    > Pressed F8 and selected "Safe mode Command Prompt", typed "win /wx",
    > pressed enter. That gets the massage as:
    >
    > "HIMEM.SYS is missing. Make sure that the file is in you Windows
    > directing." Didn't go anywhere from that.
    >
    > I rebooted it with F8 and selected "Safe Mode". It gets "Cannot
    > Detect Devices in Safe Mode" alert, pressed OK and the computer goes
    > to Safe Mode! But restart it for the normal WONDOWS goes back to DOS
    > mode again (same message as the first post above.)
    >
    > Is there any other option get rid of DOS mode at the boot?

    It could be (as I don't know how this happened) that win.com is on your
    PC but has been moved by accident, a slip of the mouse, so perhaps do a
    search for it and if found, copy it into the Windows folder. If not...

    There is a programme on your computer called SFC (system file control).
    Try typing sfc into the Run box (and pressing Enter) which you call up
    via the Start button. I don't know if this works in Safe Mode but if it
    does then first click on a button marked Settings (or similar, mine was
    in French) and click the boxes telling it to look for modified or erased
    files. Then run it, and reply as you think fit when it asks you a
    question (say yes to all updates). It might ask you where such and such
    a file is so indicate the way to the Windows CD. If it can't find it
    don't worry, just carry on, as long as it eventually finds Win.com.

    I'm under XP but I believe the SFC programme also has a box where you
    can tell it to extract a particular file, but I don't knwo if it needs
    the exacts address of where to find it. Try just typing in win.com and
    then point it to the CD (or the folder Win98 on the CD) if needs be.

  9. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Start the computer in "Command Prompt" and type
    "rename c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.bak". Then restart.
    Also, make sure the computer has a valid
    "c:\msdos.sys" file, something like this:

    [Paths]
    WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    HostWinBootDrv=C
    [Options]
    BootGUI=1
    ;end

    Ben

    wrote in message news:1119365622.127764.281730@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Thank you very much for the reply.
    >
    > Pressed F8 and selected "Safe mode Command Prompt", typed "win /wx",
    > pressed enter. That gets the massage as:
    >
    > "HIMEM.SYS is missing. Make sure that the file is in you Windows
    > directing." Didn't go anywhere from that.
    >
    > I rebooted it with F8 and selected "Safe Mode". It gets "Cannot Detect
    > Devices in Safe Mode" alert, pressed OK and the computer goes to Safe
    > Mode! But restart it for the normal WONDOWS goes back to DOS mode
    > again (same message as the first post above.)
    >
    > Is there any other option get rid of DOS mode at the boot?
    >
    > Sincerely,

  10. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    > I was able to start WIN98 CD-ROM Set Up however in the middle of the
    > process the computer reboots it and go back to the exactly the same DOS
    > mode (same messages).

    It doesn`t sound as though you`ve booted from the CD by the sounds of
    this - if it had, it wouldn`t be doing anything from the existing
    installation other than overwriting it.

    Have you tried one of the floppy boot disks from bootdisk.com then used
    the setup program from the windows CD (not relying on the existing
    installation at all) ?

  11. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    John of Aix" wrote in message news:42b83087$0$890$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
    > Hi
    >
    > What does the /wx do?

    See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142544

    Ben

  12. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Dear Mr. Meyers,

    I tried the command "rename c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.bak" that gets
    following message "HIMEM.SYS is missing. Make sure that the file is in
    your Windows directing".

    I tried safe mode to locate "c:\msdos.sys" file but couldn't find one.
    Could you instruct me the correct way to verify if mine has the file?

    Thank you very much for your help.

    Sincerely

  13. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Sorry second for post. The last one had wrong warning message.

    I tried the command "rename c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.bak" that gets
    following message "File no found - c:\autoexec.bat"???

    I tried safe mode to locate "c:\msdos.sys" file but couldn't find one.
    Could you instruct me the correct way to verify if mine has the file?

    Thank you very much for your help.

    Sincerely yours,

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Start the computer in "Command Prompt" and type
    > "rename c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.bak". Then restart.
    > Also, make sure the computer has a valid
    > "c:\msdos.sys" file, something like this:
    >
    > [Paths]
    > WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > HostWinBootDrv=C
    > [Options]
    > BootGUI=1
    > ;end
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > wrote in message news:1119365622.127764.281730@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Thank you very much for the reply.
    > >
    > > Pressed F8 and selected "Safe mode Command Prompt", typed "win /wx",
    > > pressed enter. That gets the massage as:
    > >
    > > "HIMEM.SYS is missing. Make sure that the file is in you Windows
    > > directing." Didn't go anywhere from that.
    > >
    > > I rebooted it with F8 and selected "Safe Mode". It gets "Cannot Detect
    > > Devices in Safe Mode" alert, pressed OK and the computer goes to Safe
    > > Mode! But restart it for the normal WONDOWS goes back to DOS mode
    > > again (same message as the first post above.)
    > >
    > > Is there any other option get rid of DOS mode at the boot?
    > >
    > > Sincerely,

  14. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Dear Mr. Wilson,

    Thank you very much for your replies.

    I made a floppy from bootdisk.com "DOS/Windows9X/Me/NT/2K/XP Excellent
    Bootdisks" The file "boot98se" was downloaded onto it. Tried to boot
    the computer by the floppy but I got a "Non-system disk or disk error"
    message.

    Jeez, this one hardware seems working all fine but wouldn't let me to
    sort out!

    Sincerely,

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    > > I was able to start WIN98 CD-ROM Set Up however in the middle of the
    > > process the computer reboots it and go back to the exactly the same DOS
    > > mode (same messages).

    > It doesn`t sound as though you`ve booted from the CD by the sounds of
    > this - if it had, it wouldn`t be doing anything from the existing
    > installation other than overwriting it.
    >
    > Have you tried one of the floppy boot disks from bootdisk.com then used
    > the setup program from the windows CD (not relying on the existing
    > installation at all) ?
    >
    > --
    > Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
    > --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

  15. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Start the computer in "Command Prompt", type "dir /a c:\msdos.sys"
    and press "Enter". If you get "File not found", download
    http://benjmyers.home.mindspring.com/public/MSDOS.BAT
    to a floppy. Insert the floppy into the problem computer, type
    "a:\msdos.bat" and press "Enter". Allow the program to create
    a "c:\msdos.sys" file, then remove the floppy and restart.

    Ben

    wrote in message news:1119582884.801761.227320@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > Sorry second for post. The last one had wrong warning message.
    > I tried the command "rename c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.bak" that gets
    > following message "File no found - c:\autoexec.bat"???
    > I tried safe mode to locate "c:\msdos.sys" file but couldn't find one.
    > Could you instruct me the correct way to verify if mine has the file?
    > Thank you very much for your help.

    > Ben Myers wrote:
    > > Start the computer in "Command Prompt" and type
    > > "rename c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.bak". Then restart.
    > > Also, make sure the computer has a valid
    > > "c:\msdos.sys" file, something like this:
    > >
    > > [Paths]
    > > WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > > WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > > HostWinBootDrv=C
    > > [Options]
    > > BootGUI=1
    > > ;end
    > >
    > > Ben

  16. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > "> Ben Myers wrote:
    >>> Start the computer, tap the F8 key repeatedly until the startup menu
    >>> appears and select "Safe mode Command Prompt". Then type
    >>> "win /wx" and press "Enter".

    > John of Aix" wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> What does the /wx do?

    > See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142544

    Thanks. I didn't know this one, it could come in handy

  17. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Dear Mr. Meyers,

    Thank you very much for setting up MSDOS file for me. Typed dir /a
    c:\msdos.sys" got the message as:

    Volume in drive c has no label
    Volume serial number is 1947-18D8
    Directory of c:\
    MSDOS SYS 1,694 86-21-05 10:37a
    1 file(s) 1,694 bytes
    0 dir(s) 15,067 88MB free

    Proceeded to insert the msdos.bat floppy. After restart, I got the
    exactly same DOS mode message as before.

    Isn't this hardware something?

    Thank you very much for your help.

    Sincerely,

  18. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Start the computer in "Command Prompt", type
    "edit c:\config.sys", press "Enter" and look for
    "DOS=SINGLE". If you find it, remove it, then press
    "Alt-F", then "S". Then restart the computer.

    Ben

    wrote in message news:1120010755.182013.141810@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Dear Mr. Meyers,
    >
    > Thank you very much for setting up MSDOS file for me. Typed dir /a
    > c:\msdos.sys" got the message as:
    >
    > Volume in drive c has no label
    > Volume serial number is 1947-18D8
    > Directory of c:\
    > MSDOS SYS 1,694 86-21-05 10:37a
    > 1 file(s) 1,694 bytes
    > 0 dir(s) 15,067 88MB free
    >
    > Proceeded to insert the msdos.bat floppy. After restart, I got the
    > exactly same DOS mode message as before.
    >
    > Isn't this hardware something?
    >
    > Thank you very much for your help.
    >
    > Sincerely,

  19. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Dear Mr. Myers,

    It worked!! Thank you very much.

    When restarted I had following blue screen warning though after that I
    don't have it so far:

    A Fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C02A27A8 in VXD VWIN32(05)
    + 000012D0 The current application will be terminated
    * Press any key to terminated the application
    * Press CTR+ATL+DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose any
    unsaved information in all aplication

    I hope it was harmless warning.

    Thanks again,

  20. Re: Rebooting WIN 98 but doesn't come out from DOS mode.

    Hi,

    The blue screen warning above is persistent, cannot shotdown computer
    now. I can re-boot and function seems OK (although I had ? on sound
    card from Device Manager. But sound comes out OK.) but again tried to
    shutdown gets the blue screen warning, doesn't shutdown.

    ScanDisk performed Ok on this machine. What the blue screen "A Fatal
    exception 0E has occurred" mean? Anyway to fix it?

    Sincerely yours,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast