Windows not accessible - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows not accessible - Microsoft Windows ; I've a PC with Windows 2000 installed over an NTFS partition. Windows doesn't start anymore because a file was moved, I think it's a kernel file saved in another folder. I need to access to the partition and move that ...

  1. Windows not accessible

    I've a PC with Windows 2000 installed over an NTFS partition.
    Windows doesn't start anymore because a file was moved, I think it's a
    kernel file saved in another folder.
    I need to access to the partition and move that file to the system32
    folder, but at the moment I don't have a way to write in that NTFS
    partition without Windows running.
    Does someone have an idea of how to obtain that access?

    Thanks and bye,

    M.

  2. Re: Windows not accessible

    misirion@freemail.it wrote:
    > I've a PC with Windows 2000 installed over an NTFS partition.
    > Windows doesn't start anymore because a file was moved, I think it's a
    > kernel file saved in another folder.
    > I need to access to the partition and move that file to the system32
    > folder, but at the moment I don't have a way to write in that NTFS
    > partition without Windows running.
    > Does someone have an idea of how to obtain that access?
    >
    > Thanks and bye,
    >
    > M.

    Mount your partition under linux, or move your hd to other pc with win.

    --
    [ neccATczgDOTpl RLU:#369977 GG:1719348 ]

  3. Re: Windows not accessible

    Necc writes:
    > misirion@freemail.it wrote:
    > > I've a PC with Windows 2000 installed over an NTFS partition.
    > > Windows doesn't start anymore because a file was moved, I think it's a
    > > kernel file saved in another folder.
    > > I need to access to the partition and move that file to the system32
    > > folder, but at the moment I don't have a way to write in that NTFS
    > > partition without Windows running.
    > > Does someone have an idea of how to obtain that access?
    > > Thanks and bye,
    > > M.
    > >

    > Mount your partition under linux, or move your hd to other pc with
    > win.

    NTFS writing under Linux is still highly experimental isn't it?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Windows not accessible

    misirion@freemail.it wrote:

    > I've a PC with Windows 2000 installed over an NTFS partition.
    > Windows doesn't start anymore because a file was moved, I think it's a
    > kernel file saved in another folder.
    > I need to access to the partition and move that file to the system32
    > folder, but at the moment I don't have a way to write in that NTFS
    > partition without Windows running.
    > Does someone have an idea of how to obtain that access?

    Start the computer with the install CD and select Recovery Console. You
    will get a command line where you can move and copy files.

    --
    Olof Lagerkvist
    ICQ: 724451

  5. Re: Windows not accessible

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Necc writes:
    >
    >>misirion@freemail.it wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've a PC with Windows 2000 installed over an NTFS partition.
    >>>Windows doesn't start anymore because a file was moved, I think it's a
    >>>kernel file saved in another folder.
    >>>I need to access to the partition and move that file to the system32
    >>>folder, but at the moment I don't have a way to write in that NTFS
    >>>partition without Windows running.
    >>>Does someone have an idea of how to obtain that access?
    >>>Thanks and bye,
    >>>M.
    >>>

    >>Mount your partition under linux, or move your hd to other pc with
    >>win.

    > NTFS writing under Linux is still highly experimental isn't it?

    Still better than nothing
    But indeed starting ur pc with install cd in recovery mode as Olof wrote
    is a better idea.

    --
    [ neccATczgDOTpl RLU:#369977 GG:1719348 ]

  6. Re: Windows not accessible

    It worked with Captive under Linux... that uses the Windows NTFS
    drivers to write and read ;-)

    Now I have another problem... the PC with the correct NTOSKRNL.EXE
    doesn't work (bue screen at startup), but it works in safe mode.
    Now the question is more difficult...

+ Reply to Thread