XP: Requiring control-alt-delete for login - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP: Requiring control-alt-delete for login - Microsoft Windows ; I have an IBM Thinkpad running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates. The XP help system says: To require users to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of ...

  1. XP: Requiring control-alt-delete for login

    I have an IBM Thinkpad running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates.

    The XP help system says:

    To require users to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on

    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the
    Administrators group on a computer that is part of a network
    domain in order to complete this procedure. Network policy
    settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

    1. Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
    2. Click the Advanced tab.
    3. In Secure logon, select the Require users to press
    Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.

    The only problem is that there is no Advanced tab (or any other tabs)
    in the User Accounts window, apparently because it's not part of a
    domain.

    First, what does being part of a domain have to do with being able to
    require control-alt-delete before logging on?

    On my previous system, which was very similar to this one, I was able
    to configure it to require control-alt-delete before logging on. Is
    there some way I can fool it into allowing this?

    It's not a huge deal, but it's what I'm used to.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>

  2. Re: XP: Requiring control-alt-delete for login

    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > I have an IBM Thinkpad running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
    >
    > The XP help system says:
    >
    > To require users to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on
    >
    > You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the
    > Administrators group on a computer that is part of a network
    > domain in order to complete this procedure. Network policy
    > settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    >
    > 1. Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
    > 2. Click the Advanced tab.
    > 3. In Secure logon, select the Require users to press
    > Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.
    >
    > The only problem is that there is no Advanced tab (or any other tabs)
    > in the User Accounts window, apparently because it's not part of a
    > domain.
    >
    > First, what does being part of a domain have to do with being able to
    > require control-alt-delete before logging on?
    >
    > On my previous system, which was very similar to this one, I was able
    > to configure it to require control-alt-delete before logging on. Is
    > there some way I can fool it into allowing this?
    >
    > It's not a huge deal, but it's what I'm used to.

    exec `control userpasswords2`, and then go to advanced tab, and THEN
    check required box.

    Regards

    --
    [ neccATczgDOTpl RLU:#369977 GG:1719348 ]

  3. Re: XP: Requiring control-alt-delete for login

    Necc writes:
    > Keith Thompson wrote:

    [...]
    >> On my previous system, which was very similar to this one, I was able
    >> to configure it to require control-alt-delete before logging on. Is
    >> there some way I can fool it into allowing this?
    >> It's not a huge deal, but it's what I'm used to.
    >>

    > exec `control userpasswords2`, and then go to advanced tab, and THEN
    > check required box.

    That works, thanks.