Regedit AppPaths "programfiles.exe" Windows cannot find - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Regedit AppPaths "programfiles.exe" Windows cannot find - Microsoft Windows ; What is the syntax to add a DIRECTORY to the AppsPath registry key? HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\data.exe default = "C:\Documents and Settings\fleece\data" All I want is to pop up that data directory in Windows XP explorer when I type "data" at the ...

  1. Regedit AppPaths "programfiles.exe" Windows cannot find

    What is the syntax to add a DIRECTORY to the AppsPath registry key?
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\data.exe
    default = "C:\Documents and Settings\fleece\data"

    All I want is to pop up that data directory in Windows XP explorer when
    I type
    "data" at the Windows XP Start Run command line (I checked and do not
    see any typos).

    When I type "data" (sans quotes) at the Start Run prompt, I get the
    error:
    - Windows cannot find 'data'.
    - Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
    - To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

    Adding an App Path to the registry is so simple, I can't believe I'm
    having this problem. Do you know what the solution is?

  2. Re: Regedit AppPaths "programfiles.exe" Windows cannot find

    canadadianfle...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > What is the syntax to add a DIRECTORY to the AppsPath registry key?
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\data.exe
    > default = "C:\Documents and Settings\fleece\data"

    I should add that adding an App Path to point to a file DOES work:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\file.exe
    default = "C:\Documents and Settings\fleece\data\datafile.txt"

    When I type "file", up pops "datafile.txt" in my default text editor.
    But, when I type "data", the "data" directory does not show up.
    I get an error instead.

    QUESTION: Why doesn't the data diretory pop up when I type "data"?

    What am I missing?

  3. Re: Regedit AppPaths "programfiles.exe" Windows cannot find

    canadadianfleece@yahoo.com wrote:
    > canadadianfle...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > What is the syntax to add a DIRECTORY to the AppsPath registry key?
    > > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\data.exe
    > > default = "C:\Documents and Settings\fleece\data"

    > I should add that adding an App Path to point to a file DOES work:
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\file.exe
    > default = "C:\Documents and Settings\fleece\data\datafile.txt"
    >
    > When I type "file", up pops "datafile.txt" in my default text editor.
    > But, when I type "data", the "data" directory does not show up.
    > I get an error instead.
    >
    > QUESTION: Why doesn't the data diretory pop up when I type "data"?
    >
    > What am I missing?

    It can't be done.
    The App Paths key is for applications. Hence the "app" in appPaths.
    There is no way to open up a directory by typing.
    You have to click.

  4. Re: Regedit AppPaths "programfiles.exe" Windows cannot find

    Suzuki Ninja wrote:

    > canadadianfleece@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>canadadianfle...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>What is the syntax to add a DIRECTORY to the AppsPath registry key?
    >>> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\data.exe
    >>> default = "C:\Documents and Settings\fleece\data"

    >>I should add that adding an App Path to point to a file DOES work:
    >> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\file.exe
    >> default = "C:\Documents and Settings\fleece\data\datafile.txt"
    >>
    >>When I type "file", up pops "datafile.txt" in my default text editor.
    >>But, when I type "data", the "data" directory does not show up.
    >>I get an error instead.
    >>
    >>QUESTION: Why doesn't the data diretory pop up when I type "data"?
    >>
    >>What am I missing?

    > It can't be done.
    > The App Paths key is for applications. Hence the "app" in appPaths.
    > There is no way to open up a directory by typing.
    > You have to click.

    Creating a batch file with just the command "@start [c:\path\...\dir]"
    should work. You could use that as the value in the registry. It ain't
    pretty, though, since you'll likely get a console window flicker on the
    screen.

    In fact, if all you want to do is type "data" and get a specific
    directory, I would recommend creating a batch file as described above,
    forgetting the registry, and putting the batch file in the system path.

    If this is just for your own use, that should work. If this is for
    customers, it'd almost be easier to write a simple stub application to
    launch the directory and exit -- then you get no console window.

    The reply is correct, though. AppPaths is for applications, so even if
    you could hack it to work now by using AppPaths, it could break on later
    versions of Windows.

    David

+ Reply to Thread