my friend's hard disk & win xp - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on my friend's hard disk & win xp - Microsoft Windows ; My friend has a "40 GB Maxtor D740X-6L" hard disk from two years ago and use win98 & xp on it. Yesterd he called me about his win xp problem (the only OS of his computer that's installed on C ...

  1. my friend's hard disk & win xp

    My friend has a "40 GB Maxtor D740X-6L" hard disk from two years ago
    and use win98 & xp on it.
    Yesterd he called me about his win xp problem (the only OS of his
    computer that's installed on C.
    At the beginning of loading, xp goes to crash mode, withput any
    message. Exactly at the beginning, befor screen goes to graphical mode.
    I use a win98 startup disk (a bootable cd) to load computer. but it
    goes to crash mode at the beginning, too. Win xp installation cd is
    bootable. But result of using is same.
    Then I use a linux live cd to load it. Linux can do that, with some
    error messages when kernel wants to check 'hda' (its hard disk)
    partition informaton.
    I mount hda1 (C: drive) and get a 'ls' on it. After many seconds &
    pressing ctrl-c ls prints files list of C:\. Mounting of hda5 & hda6
    (D: & E hasn't any problem.
    Then I restart computr and check it with win98 startup. But the problem
    was stable!
    I load linux again and write a zero byte stream on C: drive:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs=1k
    After restarting win98 startup disk (cd) can load computer!
    I use win xp installation cd to load computer. After initial screens xp
    setup says that it doesn't found any hard disk on this computer.
    I attach my friend's hard disk to my own computer. My win xp can't find
    it. I use xp disk management utility to rescanning diks also, withou
    any results. But win98 do that without any problem. Even I copy his
    files to my hard disk. Neither of win xp and xp installation cd dont
    find any thing. But win98, Linux, Partition Magic, Norton Ghost and
    even win98 startup disk finds it.
    I fdisk it and delete all partitions, create new one (all of hard disk
    is one partition) and also do a "fdisk /mbr", even I format it. But win
    xp doesn't find anything!

  2. Re: my friend's hard disk & win xp

    Try reinstalling 98 and then XP again

+ Reply to Thread