How to "unwed" IE and Quicktime? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How to "unwed" IE and Quicktime? - Microsoft Windows ; I have Quicktime installed and I certianly dont want to uninstall it, as my digicam records its videos as .MOV. But since I installed QT, if I click a link to an mp3 in IE6, instead of opening in my ...

  1. How to "unwed" IE and Quicktime?

    I have Quicktime installed and I certianly dont want to uninstall it,
    as my digicam records its videos as .MOV. But since I installed QT, if
    I click a link to an mp3 in IE6, instead of opening in my external mp3
    player (as I wish) it just tries to play inline, via QT. Futhermore, it
    will never play and just displays the broken "Q" icon. I dont know why,
    since the link is valid. I have to right-click and Save Target As, and
    then open the mp3 locally.

    How can I keep QT, but strip it out of my IE? Much TIA!

  2. Re: How to "unwed" IE and Quicktime?

    On 7 Jun 2005 13:14:22 -0700, yerk5@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I have Quicktime installed and I certianly dont want to uninstall it,
    > as my digicam records its videos as .MOV. But since I installed QT, if
    > I click a link to an mp3 in IE6, instead of opening in my external mp3
    > player (as I wish) it just tries to play inline, via QT. Futhermore, it
    > will never play and just displays the broken "Q" icon. I dont know why,
    > since the link is valid. I have to right-click and Save Target As, and
    > then open the mp3 locally.
    >
    > How can I keep QT, but strip it out of my IE? Much TIA!

    Here's how to stop QT from trying to play MP3 files:
    Start Quicktime Player. Click "Edit|Preferences|Quicktime
    Preferences". Select "File Type Associations" from the list.
    Click "File Types". Clear the check-mark in front of MP3, then click
    Apply.

    Now go do the reverse in Windows Media Player (under
    Tools|Options|Filetypes) to turn ON mp3 files, so it will play them
    instead.

+ Reply to Thread