my C drive went belly up (probably a boot sector virus) It won't boot
with error message "corrupt hal.dll" or some such thing. Went to
recovery console - can't even get directory listing of drive. Tried
chkdsk -p, it gave up 30% in with unrecoverable errors.

Downloaded knoppix and inserted that cd and booted up. I can see all my
folders but my documents is locked up (I must have accidentally
protected it in windows). How do I remove this protection so I can
restore these folders. I have another drive in the machine and I simply
want to copy these files to that drive (is it as simple as drag and
drop in knoppix?)

thanks