XP SP2 won't start with /3GB - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP SP2 won't start with /3GB - Microsoft Windows ; I have a new Dell Dimension 8400 that came with 2GB RAM. I'm running XP SP2 and have had no problems. I installed 2 more 1GB Crucial DIMMS and everything seems to be working except for two things (I list ...

  1. XP SP2 won't start with /3GB

    I have a new Dell Dimension 8400 that came with 2GB RAM. I'm running XP
    SP2 and have had no problems. I installed 2 more 1GB Crucial DIMMS and
    everything seems to be working except for two things (I list them both
    in case they're related...):

    1. MyComputer...Properties...System reports 3GB RAM and 'Physical
    Address Extensions', but other tools, like MS Office's System Info
    reports 4GB. The BIOS sees 4GB also.

    2. Windows will not start if I add the /3GB switch to boot.ini. No
    messages, no log entries (that I can find) just restarts and asks for
    safe mode. Removing /3GB makes everything ok.

    I've done some diagnostics as suggested by Crucial:

    * Try /PAE switch - no difference in reported RAM.
    * Remove old RAM and put new RAM in those slots - all seems fine.
    * Put old RAM into 2nd slots - all seems fine, BIOS sees 4GB

    I'm pretty sure the memory sticks are good. I've stripped all the
    boot.ini options off except /3GB with the same results. Google and MSDN
    searches have turned up little. (I did find KB#328269 that sounded
    close but said this is fixed in SP2).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    -Brian

  2. Re: XP SP2 won't start with /3GB

    n8wrl@arrl.net wrote:
    > (I did find KB#328269 that sounded
    > close but said this is fixed in SP2).

    It wouldn't be the first time something that's "fixed in SP#" isn't.
    And this observation isn't even limited to Microsoft, let alone Windows
    XP...