DDE Server Window - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on DDE Server Window - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, getting the following error on a few pc's on our network: When trying to shut-down the pc a dialog box appears which says: 'End Program - DDE Server Window' only option is 'End Now' If you click 'End Now' ...

  1. DDE Server Window

    Hi,

    getting the following error on a few pc's on our network:
    When trying to shut-down the pc a dialog box appears which says:

    'End Program - DDE Server Window'

    only option is 'End Now'

    If you click 'End Now' it usually disappears for a few seconds and then

    the same box appears again about 3 or 4 times before it eventually
    shuts down about 5 mins after you began the process so it can get quite

    annoying!

    The workstations in question are mostly WindowsXP but also a few
    Win2000. (some with SP!, some with SP2 and win2000 with SP4) We are
    running an Exchange 2003 Server with ISA Server 2004 - the ISA client
    is installed on each workstation - I have a feeling this may be the
    root of the problem...

    I have checked Administrative Tools > Services and both 'Network DDE'
    and 'Network DDE DSDM' services are disabled on all clients.

    any suggestions appreciated.

    thanks!

  2. Re: DDE Server Window

    b1888 wrote:
    > getting the following error on a few pc's on our network:
    > When trying to shut-down the pc a dialog box appears which says:
    >
    > 'End Program - DDE Server Window'
    >
    > only option is 'End Now'
    >
    > If you click 'End Now' it usually disappears for a few seconds and then
    > the same box appears again about 3 or 4 times before it eventually
    > shuts down about 5 mins after you began the process so it can get quite
    > annoying!
    >
    > The workstations in question are mostly WindowsXP but also a few
    > Win2000. (some with SP!, some with SP2 and win2000 with SP4) We are
    > running an Exchange 2003 Server with ISA Server 2004 - the ISA client
    > is installed on each workstation - I have a feeling this may be the
    > root of the problem...
    >
    > I have checked Administrative Tools > Services and both 'Network DDE'
    > and 'Network DDE DSDM' services are disabled on all clients.
    >
    > any suggestions appreciated.

    The root of the problem can probably be summed up in two words:
    "Microsoft" and "Windows". :P

    Crankiness like this seems to be par for the course for Microsoft's
    sorry excuse for an operating system.

    If you can, switch to Linux or *BSD. If not, the usual -- find and
    eliminate any viruses/spyware, reinstall stuff, reboot lots of times,
    and pray. :P