new Windows soon? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on new Windows soon? - Microsoft Windows ; It has been a while since XP came out and I was wondering if there are any plans for a new Windows version to come out soon, or if not knowledge of definite plans, at least rumours. My niece is ...

  1. new Windows soon?

    It has been a while since XP came out and I was wondering if
    there are any plans for a new Windows version to come out
    soon, or if not knowledge of definite plans, at least rumours.

    My niece is plannning to buy a good laptop soon and if a new
    Windows release is months away she would prefer to wait
    until after it is out to get the laptop, rather than buying a
    laptop with XP and have it be obsolete (in her mind) almost
    immediately, unless she then paid for an upgrade.

    So again I would like to know if there is knowledge of
    definite plans for a new Windows release soon, and
    if so, when, and if not knowledge of definite plans, at
    least what the rumours are.

    David

  2. Re: new Windows soon?

    David Dalton wrote:

    > It has been a while since XP came out and I was wondering if
    > there are any plans for a new Windows version to come out
    > soon, or if not knowledge of definite plans, at least rumours.
    >
    > My niece is plannning to buy a good laptop soon and if a new
    > Windows release is months away she would prefer to wait
    > until after it is out to get the laptop, rather than buying a
    > laptop with XP and have it be obsolete (in her mind) almost
    > immediately, unless she then paid for an upgrade.
    >
    > So again I would like to know if there is knowledge of
    > definite plans for a new Windows release soon, and
    > if so, when, and if not knowledge of definite plans, at
    > least what the rumours are.
    >
    > David

    IIRC, Longhorn, the Windows XP replacement, is still a couple
    of years in the future. But what makes a computer obsolete is
    insufficient hardware. With RAM prices being what they are, get
    at least 1 GB of RAM for the laptop. And, the fastest CPU one
    can afford at the time of purchase.

  3. Re: new Windows soon?

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:24:59 -0700, Ghostrider wrote:

    windows longhorn is scheduled for 2006 release.

  4. Re: new Windows soon?

    seeds wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:24:59 -0700, Ghostrider wrote:
    >
    > windows longhorn is scheduled for 2006 release.

    Ah that's good news, I was thinking of updating my Windows 3.0. Is 640k
    still enough for everyone?

  5. Re: new Windows soon?

    John of Aix wrote:
    > seeds wrote:
    >> On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:24:59 -0700, Ghostrider wrote:
    >>
    >> windows longhorn is scheduled for 2006 release.

    > Ah that's good news, I was thinking of updating my Windows 3.0. Is
    > 640k still enough for everyone?

    Nobody will ever need more than 640K.

    --
    If there is a Tourist Season, how come we can't shoot them?

  6. Re: new Windows soon?

    Longhorn doesn't require all that much. 256 ram is min, 512
    recommended. CPU is hard to say, but nothing major. Reason being the
    interface and all the effects are rendered on the GPU so the CPU can be
    dedicated to system tasks. The latest beta build actually utilizes this
    and runs quite nicely.

  7. Re: new Windows soon?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.misc.]
    On 2005-05-31, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:

    > David Dalton wrote:
    >
    >> It has been a while since XP came out and I was wondering if
    >> there are any plans for a new Windows version to come out
    >> soon, or if not knowledge of definite plans, at least rumours.

    >> So again I would like to know if there is knowledge of
    >> definite plans for a new Windows release soon, and
    >> if so, when, and if not knowledge of definite plans, at
    >> least what the rumours are.

    > IIRC, Longhorn, the Windows XP replacement, is still a couple
    > of years in the future.

    As it has been for several years already. But it's coming! Real Soon Now!

    NB: Microsoft is notorious for product delays and missed release dates.
    Despite shedding features right and left, Longhorn is firmly holding to
    this tradition.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  8. Re: new Windows soon?

    John Thompson wrote:
    > NB: Microsoft is notorious for product delays and missed release dates.
    > Despite shedding features right and left, Longhorn is firmly holding to
    > this tradition.

    True. But it's what Microsoft is *infamous* for that is *really*
    interesting.