Email Link Anomaly - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Email Link Anomaly - Microsoft Windows ; Something has occurred this morning that is similar to an incident that totally panicked me several years ago, but I was assured at the time that neither the Sender nor the world had access to my computer files. I have ...

  1. Email Link Anomaly

    Something has occurred this morning that is similar to an incident
    that totally panicked me several years ago, but I was assured at the
    time that neither the Sender nor the world had access to my computer
    files.

    I have clicked on a web link in a message from a list acquaintance,
    and instead of it taking me to the website where it should have taken
    me, it opens up a window showing my C-drive (as in Windows Explorer).

    But exactly what *is* the cause of this? How does this happen? And
    what does it mean, as far as making my computer files available to
    outsiders?

    Thanks for any information.

  2. Re: Email Link Anomaly

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 07:54:03 -0400, MOB wrote:

    >Something has occurred this morning that is similar to an incident
    >that totally panicked me several years ago, but I was assured at the
    >time that neither the Sender nor the world had access to my computer
    >files.
    >
    >I have clicked on a web link in a message from a list acquaintance,
    >and instead of it taking me to the website where it should have taken
    >me, it opens up a window showing my C-drive (as in Windows Explorer).
    >
    >But exactly what *is* the cause of this? How does this happen? And
    >what does it mean, as far as making my computer files available to
    >outsiders?
    >
    >Thanks for any information.

    Maybe I should have mentioned I'm using Windows 98SE.

  3. Re: Email Link Anomaly

    > Something has occurred this morning that is similar to an incident
    > that totally panicked me several years ago, but I was assured at the
    > time that neither the Sender nor the world had access to my computer
    > files.
    > I have clicked on a web link in a message from a list acquaintance,
    > and instead of it taking me to the website where it should have taken
    > me, it opens up a window showing my C-drive (as in Windows Explorer).

    Have you checked out the plain text source of the email, or are you
    looking at a html version only ?

    It might be the link pointed to his own C: drive and when you click on
    it, it naturally opens yours.

  4. Re: Email Link Anomaly

    MOB wrote:
    > I have clicked on a web link in a message from a list acquaintance,
    > and instead of it taking me to the website where it should have taken
    > me, it opens up a window showing my C-drive (as in Windows Explorer).

    All it means if this shows up in your browser is that your browser has
    access to your hard drive. Which it better, or it won't have access to
    its cache or even its own executable.

    A suitable File:// link will produce this effect. No other computer has
    accessed the data.