How to cram more on a DVD: Compressed and encrypted ISOs for XP (and Linux)? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How to cram more on a DVD: Compressed and encrypted ISOs for XP (and Linux)? - Microsoft Windows ; Hello group, I hope that this is not too off-topic, but I figured it might not, as there might be special windows software involved. Id like to use DVDs for archiving stuff, so I am interested in the following: * ...

  1. How to cram more on a DVD: Compressed and encrypted ISOs for XP (and Linux)?

    Hello group,

    I hope that this is not too off-topic, but I figured it might not,
    as there might be special windows software involved.

    Id like to use DVDs for archiving stuff, so I am interested in the
    following:

    * cram as much as possible onto a DVD
    Q1. Are there any image formats that are compressed?

    * possibly read the archive DVDs transparently without having to
    extract to temp-files and use them
    Q2. Has anyone used DaemonTools for such a thing? Are there other
    image mounting
    programmes which grok the compressed image formats?

    * possibly read the same data under Linux
    Several years back, I have extensively used linux, which could mount
    any image as a "loop back device", if the data inside was in a file
    system format it knew. So for being able to use the stuff under Linux,
    it must be in a format, linux can grok.
    Q3. Which of the possible ones from Q1 are also usable under Linux?

    * possibly be able to encrypt the whole image blob
    Q4. Anyone made good experience with AXCrypt, BestCrypt or TrueImage?
    Any other recommendation?

    I have been digging around quite a bit, but what Im looking for are
    hands-on experience to help me decide, which of what I heard is really
    true and what software is really the one for me.

    I hope this is not too off topic, but I figured, that there is special
    windows software involved, and such it might not be OT.

    Thanks a million in advance,
    Bye.
    FK.

  2. Re: How to cram more on a DVD: Compressed and encrypted ISOs for XP (and Linux)?

    "DV" wrote in message
    news:2e0f5ffe.0505281044.b2e159@posting.google.com ...
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I hope that this is not too off-topic, but I figured it might not,
    > as there might be special windows software involved.
    >
    > Id like to use DVDs for archiving stuff, so I am interested in the
    > following:
    >
    > * cram as much as possible onto a DVD
    > Q1. Are there any image formats that are compressed?
    >
    > * possibly read the archive DVDs transparently without having to
    > extract to temp-files and use them
    > Q2. Has anyone used DaemonTools for such a thing? Are there other
    > image mounting
    > programmes which grok the compressed image formats?
    >
    > * possibly read the same data under Linux
    > Several years back, I have extensively used linux, which could mount
    > any image as a "loop back device", if the data inside was in a file
    > system format it knew. So for being able to use the stuff under Linux,
    > it must be in a format, linux can grok.
    > Q3. Which of the possible ones from Q1 are also usable under Linux?
    >
    > * possibly be able to encrypt the whole image blob
    > Q4. Anyone made good experience with AXCrypt, BestCrypt or TrueImage?
    > Any other recommendation?
    >
    > I have been digging around quite a bit, but what Im looking for are
    > hands-on experience to help me decide, which of what I heard is really
    > true and what software is really the one for me.
    >
    > I hope this is not too off topic, but I figured, that there is special
    > windows software involved, and such it might not be OT.
    >
    > Thanks a million in advance,
    > Bye.
    > FK.

    I just use winrar to compress my folders and burn the rar file onto a
    DVD... you will get around 40-60% compression on most general stuff. You can
    set passwords etc also.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread