How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users. - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I have a LAN network and want to limit speed of internet people on my lan can download from the net through server. Which program can do this on windows 2000? Thank You...

  1. How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users.

    Hi,

    I have a LAN network and want to limit speed of internet people on my
    lan can download from the net through server. Which program can do this
    on windows 2000?

    Thank You

  2. Re: How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users.

    good888deals@gmail.com writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a LAN network and want to limit speed of internet people on my
    > lan can download from the net through server. Which program can do this
    > on windows 2000?

    I'm not aware of any setting in Windows SMB service that allows you to
    do bandwidth throttling. That's lower on the 7layer sandwich of the
    network stack than SMB operates. You can control number of shares and
    authorized users.

    Maybe there is a program out there, but my gut says its more likely
    that you'd have to throttle the bandwidth with a network device that
    looks at source IP addresses and throttles bandwidth accordingly, and
    put the server behind that device.

    What problem are you experiencing that you want to remedy this way?
    There may be another way to skin that cat that's most cost effective.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users.

    hi,

    thanks for this but there are 2 users on my lan and some of them exceed
    my network speed regualtions and slow down the whole net. Therefore I
    need a program that will limit bandwitch from net according to each IP.
    This is what am looking for.

  4. Re: How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users.

    good888deals@gmail.com writes:
    > hi,
    >
    > thanks for this but there are 2 users on my lan and some of them exceed
    > my network speed regualtions and slow down the whole net. Therefore I
    > need a program that will limit bandwitch from net according to each IP.
    > This is what am looking for.

    Tell us more about your network hardware. Your time may be better
    spent addressing the network issue rather than bandaiding it. A
    2-user LAN shouldn't experience slowdowns if the right equipment is
    being used. And software based solutions on the server itself
    wouldn't necessarily be able to keep up with 100Mbps wire speed
    anyway--it might actually decrease performance.

    First, you'll want to toss any hub you might still have in the trash,
    and get a low cost network switch. I picked up a 4 port 100MBps
    switch for like $10 last month at newegg.com.

    Also, make sure your network cards are 100Mbps and that they are set
    to use 100Mbps. autonegotiation of 10/100 is notiriously unreliable.
    Check for any bad cords that might be causing frame errors or
    retransmissions.

    All of these should help your situation more than any software based
    bandwidth throttling solution. If this were a 100 workstation office
    all beating on one server, it'd be another issue, but this is a
    problem best solved on the network level.

    Best Regards,

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users.

    Situation is simple:

    server my pc distirbuts net to 2 other users in the house. Those users
    download movies and files at full speed from net despite the fact that
    i tell them to slow down and they kill the speed for me. I need a
    software to throttle the amount of bandwitch they get. OK?

  6. Re: How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users.

    good888deals@gmail.com writes:
    > Situation is simple:
    >
    > server my pc distirbuts net to 2 other users in the house. Those users
    > download movies and files at full speed from net despite the fact that
    > i tell them to slow down and they kill the speed for me. I need a
    > software to throttle the amount of bandwitch they get. OK?

    Ok--I misunderstood the original request. :-) The way the original
    question was stated sounded like you were wanting to throttle
    bandwidth of 2 users sharing a file sharing server on the LAN.

    For what you seek, these QOS features in win2k may help. See section
    "Configure Quality of Service" here. Do a find on that string and
    take the third occurrence.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...4/proch22.mspx

    While this isn't trivial stuff, mind you, but this looks like it might
    be an avenue to doing what you want.

    Alternately, a fancier router to reliably achieve a feature known as
    "port throttling" or quality of service configurable on a per port
    basis. A Linux box with a few ethernet cards and something like
    openwall can achieve this as well, I believe.

    I haven't done this, but this is a question that is very interesting.
    Good luck!

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users.

    Todd H. wrote:
    > For what you seek, these QOS features in win2k may help. See section
    > "Configure Quality of Service" here. Do a find on that string and
    > take the third occurrence.

    Given that you can hyperlink people directly to a source on the 'net,
    giving directions like this is a tad strange; it's like telling people
    "go straight to the gas station, then take the next left, then right at
    the McDonald's" when they have a personal teleportation device that
    accepts GPS coordinates.

    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...4/proch22.mspx

    And this is like telling them "teleport to 64 deg 54 min west, 37 deg 12
    min north, *then* go straight to the nearest gas station and hang a left..."

  8. Re: How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users.

    hi

    Wingate has bandwidth throttling options however it does not
    allow to control up and down speed of incoming traffic. Only up down
    speed. I am looking for a program that can control up and down speeds
    allowed to clients.

  9. Re: How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users.

    Twisted One writes:
    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > For what you seek, these QOS features in win2k may help. See section
    > > "Configure Quality of Service" here. Do a find on that string and
    > > take the third occurrence.

    > Given that you can hyperlink people directly to a source on the 'net,
    > giving directions like this is a tad strange; it's like telling people
    > "go straight to the gas station, then take the next left, then right
    > at the McDonald's" when they have a personal teleportation device that
    > accepts GPS coordinates.
    >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...4/proch22.mspx

    > And this is like telling them "teleport to 64 deg 54 min west, 37 deg
    > 12 min north, *then* go straight to the nearest gas station and hang a
    > left..."

    Thank you for your helpful input.

    But visit the link and you'll see why. The chapter is a bagillion
    pages long.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  10. Re: How to limit windows 2000 internet sharing speed among users.

    Todd H. wrote:
    > But visit the link and you'll see why. The chapter is a bagillion
    > pages long.

    Surely it has embedded anchors then? A URL with
    http://site/dir/page#section structure would then be more direct.