DDE Server Window - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on DDE Server Window - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, getting the following error on a few pc's on our network: When trying to shut-down the pc a dialog box appears which says: 'End Program - DDE Server Window' only option is 'End Now' If you click 'End Now' ...

  1. DDE Server Window

    Hi,

    getting the following error on a few pc's on our network:
    When trying to shut-down the pc a dialog box appears which says:

    'End Program - DDE Server Window'

    only option is 'End Now'

    If you click 'End Now' it usually disappears for a few seconds and then
    the same box appears again about 3 or 4 times before it eventually
    shuts down about 5 mins after you began the process so it can get quite
    annoying!

    The workstations in question are mostly WindowsXP but also a few
    Win2000. (some with SP!, some with SP2 and win2000 with SP4) We are
    running an Exchange 2003 Server with ISA Server 2004 - the ISA client
    is installed on each workstation - I have a feeling this may be the
    root of the problem...

    I have checked Administrative Tools > Services and both 'Network DDE'
    and 'Network DDE DSDM' services are disabled on all clients.

    any suggestions appreciated.

    thanks!

  2. Re: DDE Server Window

    b1888 wrote:
    [snip -- weird problems with shutdown on machines with lots of shoddy
    Microsoft software installed]

    I suggest finding a better software vendor. Business and server stuff
    especially is better off being based on unix -- linux, *bsd. Even MacOS
    X would probably be better(!) ... end-user desktops need usability, an
    area in which unix tends to perform poorly, but servers maintained by
    gurus need reliability more, and headless servers no-one directly sits
    down at have no need of human factors anyway, so unix's HCI losses are
    moot there but its big wins in security and reliability aren't.