My .avi file has lost ! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on My .avi file has lost ! - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, Yesterday night, I tried to compress some big .avi files to windows compressed folder so that its size could fit in 730MB CD size. Because the files were so big (600-800MB in size), the compression takes some time but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

  1. My .avi file has lost !

    Hi,

    Yesterday night, I tried to compress some big .avi files to windows
    compressed folder so that its size could fit in 730MB CD size. Because
    the files were so big (600-800MB in size), the compression takes some
    time but finally "completed". After that I went to sleep. As I woke up
    this morning, I checked the content of the files. What surprised me was
    I found no file listed inside as I double click on the compressed
    folders to review its content. The compressed folder are hundred
    megabytes in size i.e. they seem non empty.

    I tried compress some smaller .avi files (from 22MB to 120MB) with the
    the same method. I found them inside the compressed folders and could
    play them by double clicking them from the compressed folder file list.

    What's worst, I found most compressed folders I made previously with
    the same method (not made yesterday night) were all empty although I'd
    verified previously that the .avi files compressed inside could be
    played.

    I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
    ..avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?

    "~"

  2. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    emil_lam wrote:

    > I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
    > .avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?

    Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them, that
    might help.

  3. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    do a file search for all AVI files...you may have changed the destination
    without realizing it.

    I double click on the compressed
    > folders to review its content.

    compressed folders?

    are you just referring to 'compressed' because its the destination for your
    re-encoded/compressed video files.?

    "emil_lam" wrote in message
    news:1116739325.198140.68580@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Yesterday night, I tried to compress some big .avi files to windows
    > compressed folder so that its size could fit in 730MB CD size. Because
    > the files were so big (600-800MB in size), the compression takes some
    > time but finally "completed". After that I went to sleep. As I woke up
    > this morning, I checked the content of the files. What surprised me was
    > I found no file listed inside as I double click on the compressed
    > folders to review its content. The compressed folder are hundred
    > megabytes in size i.e. they seem non empty.
    >
    > I tried compress some smaller .avi files (from 22MB to 120MB) with the
    > the same method. I found them inside the compressed folders and could
    > play them by double clicking them from the compressed folder file list.
    >
    > What's worst, I found most compressed folders I made previously with
    > the same method (not made yesterday night) were all empty although I'd
    > verified previously that the .avi files compressed inside could be
    > played.
    >
    > I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
    > .avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?
    >
    > "~"

  4. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:44:28 +0200, "John of Aix"
    wrote:

    >emil_lam wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
    >> .avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?

    >Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them, that
    >might help.

    Which won't work if they were compressed with something Winzip doesn't
    support. It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
    w2k.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
    have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb

  5. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    On 21 May 2005 22:22:05 -0700, "emil_lam"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Yesterday night, I tried to compress some big .avi files to windows
    >compressed folder so that its size could fit in 730MB CD size. Because
    >the files were so big (600-800MB in size), the compression takes some
    >time but finally "completed". After that I went to sleep. As I woke up
    >this morning, I checked the content of the files. What surprised me was
    >I found no file listed inside as I double click on the compressed
    >folders to review its content. The compressed folder are hundred
    >megabytes in size i.e. they seem non empty.

    You could check the recycle bin. They may have been untentionally
    "deleted".

    >I tried compress some smaller .avi files (from 22MB to 120MB) with the
    >the same method. I found them inside the compressed folders and could
    >play them by double clicking them from the compressed folder file list.
    >
    >What's worst, I found most compressed folders I made previously with
    >the same method (not made yesterday night) were all empty although I'd
    >verified previously that the .avi files compressed inside could be
    >played.

    But the files disappeared somehow? Will a search of all your disks for
    "*.AVI" find them?

    >I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
    >.avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?

    Compression can be unreliable. Perhaps you could get a larger HD?

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
    have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb

  6. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
    > w2k.

    ain't any, least not that I've noticed.

    Rick

  7. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    John of Aix 寫道:

    > Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,

    that
    > might help.

    I installed WinZip 6.3 beta this morning. WinZip complained it couldn't
    open the compressed folder. I suspect its my WinME compression
    program's problem. Could I reinstall it from WinME CD ? What file to
    look for ?

  8. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    John of Aix 寫道:

    > Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,

    that
    > might help.

    I installed WinZip 6.3 beta this morning. WinZip complained it couldn't
    open the compressed folder. I suspect its my WinME compression
    program's problem. Could I reinstall it from WinME CD ? What file to
    look for ?

  9. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    No, I haven't changed the destination cos by default the compressed
    folder will be created in the same directory as the originally .avi
    file.

  10. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    No, they wouldn't be found in recycle bin cos in my trial test, I
    didn't delete the original .avi file.

    What I meant was WinME compression seemed completed without error, a
    non-empty .zip folder was created. But when I double clicked on that
    folder to view its content, I found no file listed inside the .zip
    folder.

    My HD free space is 12.5GB now. I don't think HD free space is a
    problem.

    I agree that compression may be unreliable sometimes but the symptom
    seems consistent now. Do you hear of any known bug with Windows ME
    compression process ?

  11. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    I would like to ask all of you that will this be a known bug of Windows
    ME compression program ? Could I re-install the compression program
    from Windows ME ? If so, which files to look for ?

    Although I could use WinZip to compress single file, I would still like
    to use windows compression program to compress subdirectory trees
    (directory with multiple subdirectories and files underneath) because
    program comes with windows is better in compressing / de-compressing
    directory trees.

  12. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    John of Aix 寫道:

    > Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,

    that
    > might help.

    I've tried using WinZip 6.3 beta to compress 2 sample .avi files.
    Compression succeeded for one 704MB file but failed for another 1.12GB
    file [Error: Internal logic error (incorrect compressed size)]. Both
    files had fault symptom described above when WinME compression being
    used.

    Will there be upper size limit with source file for WinZip or Windows
    compression program ?

  13. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    Where on earth did you get hold of that??
    WinZip is up to version 9 now!!!
    www.winzip.com

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "emil_lam" wrote in message
    news:1116821557.613070.98680@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...

    John of Aix ??:

    > Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,

    that
    > might help.

    I installed WinZip 6.3 beta this morning. WinZip complained it couldn't
    open the compressed folder. I suspect its my WinME compression
    program's problem. Could I reinstall it from WinME CD ? What file to
    look for ?

  14. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    I tried compressed some big .avi files using my WinZip. Compression
    succeeded with one .avi file with file size 704MB. I could view the
    ..avi file from inside the .zip and play it on media player.

    But for all other .avi files bigger than 1GB, WinZip couldn't compress
    any of them alone.

    Is there size limit on uncompressed file for WinZip ?

  15. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    AVI files are normally already compressed and there is little benefit to
    be gained by attempting to further compress them. Similarly for jpg and
    mp3 and other compressed file formats.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    emil_lam wrote:

    > I tried compressed some big .avi files using my WinZip. Compression
    > succeeded with one .avi file with file size 704MB. I could view the
    > .avi file from inside the .zip and play it on media player.
    >
    > But for all other .avi files bigger than 1GB, WinZip couldn't compress
    > any of them alone.
    >
    > Is there size limit on uncompressed file for WinZip ?

  16. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    Hi emil_lam,

    there's an older repair-tool for broken zip-files,
    called PKZIPFIX.EXE, perhaps it succeeds on your
    broken files.

    It is strange you had problems at 1GB, the size-limit
    for oldstyle zip-files or zipped items should be around 4 GB.
    Are you sure, your file-system is healthy?

    And please use a recent WinZip for testing,
    rather than an outdated beta-version!

    If it helps to find out what has gone wrong at file-level,
    you may post a hexdump of a broken file here.
    Well, not the entire file, only the first
    and the last 256 bytes will be enough, since
    there should be all the internal headers.

    Hope it helps,

    Carsten Neubauer
    http://www.c14sw.de

  17. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    I'm unaware that .zip compression is unreliable in any way. I've also
    had no problems with WinME native .zipping but I've never tried it on
    anything more than 100ish MB.

    You may want to give it a shot with DOS mode PKZip; ver 2.04g is the
    latest, I believe and is still available as free/shareware in numerous
    places on the net.

    I'm curious as to how much compression you can get on an .avi file.

    Rick

    emil_lam wrote:
    > No, they wouldn't be found in recycle bin cos in my trial test, I
    > didn't delete the original .avi file.
    >
    > What I meant was WinME compression seemed completed without error, a
    > non-empty .zip folder was created. But when I double clicked on that
    > folder to view its content, I found no file listed inside the .zip
    > folder.
    >
    > My HD free space is 12.5GB now. I don't think HD free space is a
    > problem.
    >
    > I agree that compression may be unreliable sometimes but the symptom
    > seems consistent now. Do you hear of any known bug with Windows ME
    > compression process ?

  18. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    Something's niggling my brain (well moreso than usual); some .avi files
    have a problem at 1 Gig, but darned if I can remember which ones and why.

    Rick

    Carsten Neubauer wrote:
    > Hi emil_lam,
    >

    > there's an older repair-tool for broken zip-files,
    > called PKZIPFIX.EXE, perhaps it succeeds on your
    > broken files.
    >

    > It is strange you had problems at 1GB, the size-limit
    > for oldstyle zip-files or zipped items should be around 4 GB.
    > Are you sure, your file-system is healthy?
    >
    > And please use a recent WinZip for testing,
    > rather than an outdated beta-version!
    >

    > If it helps to find out what has gone wrong at file-level,
    > you may post a hexdump of a broken file here.
    > Well, not the entire file, only the first
    > and the last 256 bytes will be enough, since
    > there should be all the internal headers.
    >

    > Hope it helps,
    >

    > Carsten Neubauer
    > http://www.c14sw.de

  19. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:04:02 -0400, Rick T
    wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >

    >> It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
    >> w2k.

    >ain't any, least not that I've noticed.
    >

    >Rick

    Sorry about mixing up Windows versions. ME's compression is compatible
    with Winzip.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
    have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb

  20. Re: My .avi file has lost !

    On 22 May 2005 21:24:17 -0700, "emil_lam"
    wrote:

    >No, they wouldn't be found in recycle bin cos in my trial test, I
    >didn't delete the original .avi file.
    >
    >What I meant was WinME compression seemed completed without error, a
    >non-empty .zip folder was created. But when I double clicked on that
    >folder to view its content, I found no file listed inside the .zip
    >folder.
    >
    >My HD free space is 12.5GB now. I don't think HD free space is a
    >problem.
    >
    >I agree that compression may be unreliable sometimes but the symptom
    >seems consistent now. Do you hear of any known bug with Windows ME
    >compression process ?

    No. I've used it few times, although I went to Winzip (and later
    Winrar) because it's more versatile.

    ZIP compression seems reliable enough (I was talking abour compressed
    folders earlier, that's something different from a signle archive
    file). I was suggesting that is you were using compression to save
    spce on your disk, a larger HD may be preferable.

    File compression is still used to save uploading time (although most
    of the larger files on the net use RAR instead of ZIP).