Losing Control of my Computer - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Losing Control of my Computer - Microsoft Windows ; I have popup blockers, a spyware remover, & a CWS shredder, but still I'm spending more time clicking off popups, deleting unwanted bookmarks from my Favorites list, & deleting unwanted shortcuts from my desktop, than working with my computer. How ...

  1. Losing Control of my Computer

    I have popup blockers, a spyware remover, & a CWS shredder, but still
    I'm spending more time clicking off popups, deleting unwanted bookmarks
    from my Favorites list, & deleting unwanted shortcuts from my desktop,
    than working with my computer. How do you keep free from these swarms
    of pests?

  2. Re: Losing Control of my Computer

    PorkTeriyaki wrote:
    > I have popup blockers, a spyware remover, & a CWS shredder, but still
    > I'm spending more time clicking off popups, deleting unwanted bookmarks
    > from my Favorites list, & deleting unwanted shortcuts from my desktop,
    > than working with my computer. How do you keep free from these swarms
    > of pests?

    Don't use Internet Exploder for anything except Winblows Update.

  3. Re: Losing Control of my Computer

    PorkTeriyaki wrote:
    > I have popup blockers, a spyware remover, & a CWS shredder, but still
    > I'm spending more time clicking off popups, deleting unwanted
    > bookmarks from my Favorites list, & deleting unwanted shortcuts from
    > my desktop, than working with my computer. How do you keep free from
    > these swarms of pests?

    Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG and Zone Alarm and I never have these problems.
    It's a good idea to give your machine a thorough clean out too.

  4. Re: Losing Control of my Computer

    On 2005-05-21, PorkTeriyaki wrote:

    > I have popup blockers, a spyware remover, & a CWS shredder, but still
    > I'm spending more time clicking off popups, deleting unwanted bookmarks
    > from my Favorites list, & deleting unwanted shortcuts from my desktop,
    > than working with my computer. How do you keep free from these swarms
    > of pests?

    Somewhat better:

    Use something other than IE (Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, whatever) for web
    browsing, and something other than Outlook/Outlook Express for mail
    (Thunderbird, whatever).

    Much better:

    Use something other than Windows for your oprating system (OS-X, linux,
    FreeBSD, whatever).

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  5. Re: Losing Control of my Computer

    Colin Wilson wrote:

    > Don`t tell me you have Norton as a virus checker - it really isn`t up
    > to the job and they should be done for false advertising. I spent 6
    > hours recently trying to clean up someones' machine

    And I bet 5 of those were spent stopping Norton interfering ;-)

  6. Re: Losing Control of my Computer

    > > Don`t tell me you have Norton as a virus checker - it really isn`t up
    > > to the job and they should be done for false advertising. I spent 6
    > > hours recently trying to clean up someones' machine

    > And I bet 5 of those were spent stopping Norton interfering ;-)

    No, 3 were spent running my usual arsenal of anti-spyware apps, and
    getting frustrated at the strange entries that kept reappearing in
    HijackThis! upon rebooting - I really didn`t think i`d need to run
    Sysclean at the time because the guys' Nortons was fully up to date.

    I thought I was missing something dumb, and starting to feel like a
    fool...

    How wrong I was.

    The full Sysclean scan took about an hour (with it finding the active
    virus in about 5 seconds flat) - the rest of the time was spent
    installing the remaining stuff like Firefox and letting them get to grips
    with them and checking it worked on banking sites etc.

    I actually left Norton running on their machine as I didn`t have enough
    time to teach them how to use an alternative effective firewall, but they
    were strongly advised to move to another virus checker !

  7. Re: Losing Control of my Computer

    1-I propose to use FireFox from Mozilla foundation. It is more safe
    than IE, I think.
    2- List all files in the Task Manager and search them in the Internet
    by their names like "svchost.exe" for google.com. then you will find
    the unwanted files. some spywares and trojans on your system. you can
    find them in this way. Then, you should search the net for unti-spy or
    unti-virus of this programs.
    3- If you could not solved the problem, may should re-install your
    windows and re-install win-updates.

  8. Re: Losing Control of my Computer

    22 May 2005 04:39:12 -0700, nick:

    > 2- List all files in the Task Manager and search them in the Internet
    > by their names like "svchost.exe" for google.com. then you will find
    > the unwanted files. some spywares and trojans on your system. you can
    > find them in this way. Then, you should search the net for unti-spy or
    > unti-virus of this programs.

    Here you get info about all sorts of files that might be listed in
    autorun. Type in their name and the site tells you what it us.

    http://www.sysinfo.org/
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  9. Re: Losing Control of my Computer

    I think i found the problem. I found my firewall disabled and can't
    reactivate it. I'll have to call Symantec to discuss this. And when
    running Norton Virus Protector, it indicated a virus in
    C:\ied_s7m.cab\nnet.exe which it can't remove or quarantee. This might
    have something to do with the firewall being shut off.

    I downloaded another popup blocker & an adware blaster. This got rid
    of most of the popups except those from Aurora, RateMyPup, &
    coolweb.com. But I talk to Symantec about this.

+ Reply to Thread