System restore thinks D: is system disk - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on System restore thinks D: is system disk - Microsoft Windows ; I can not use system restore in XP Home Ed.. When I try, I get a message that claims drive D is the system disk. This might be related to the fact that my computer will not do a warm ...

  1. System restore thinks D: is system disk

    I can not use system restore in XP Home Ed.. When I try, I get a
    message that claims drive D is the system disk. This might be related
    to the fact that my computer will not do a warm reboot. It says that
    boot files can not be found. If I turn off, then start, it works fine.
    This all started when I installed a new HD, transfering everything
    over, then keeping the original drive as D: drive.
    I sure hope that someone can help! Thanks, Rich

  2. Re: System restore thinks D: is system disk

    The message <1116679523.049840.71700@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>
    from thedells2@verizon.net contains these words:

    > I can not use system restore in XP Home Ed.. When I try, I get a
    > message that claims drive D is the system disk. This might be related
    > to the fact that my computer will not do a warm reboot. It says that
    > boot files can not be found. If I turn off, then start, it works fine.
    > This all started when I installed a new HD, transfering everything
    > over, then keeping the original drive as D: drive.
    > I sure hope that someone can help! Thanks, Rich

    How did you copy the old disk onto the new disk?
    Ideally you should have used something like Symantec Ghost to create an
    image of your old drive onto the new one.
    Then after removing the old disk, and making your new disk the Primary
    Master, make sure that the new disk booted properly.
    Then add your old disk either as a slave on the same channel as your new
    disk, or onto the secondary channel as a master or slave. Then Format
    the old disk to clean it up completely before using it.
    Phil...

  3. Re: System restore thinks D: is system disk

    I found out yesterday what the problem seems to be. When I installed
    the new drive, I used the existing cable, instead of the one that came
    with it. Maxtor's site is pretty strong in recomending the new one. So,
    I'll find it and switch and see what happens. BTW I used Maxblast to
    copy my system over.
    Thanks, Rich

+ Reply to Thread