the small r is lost - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on the small r is lost - Microsoft Windows ; hi guys, sometimes life is funny. I have lost the small 'r' on my keyboard. When i press the key i can't see it (no char is printed in the notepad or cmd or any other application). When i press ...

  1. the small r is lost

    hi guys,

    sometimes life is funny. I have lost the small 'r' on my keyboard. When
    i press the key i can't see it (no char is printed in the notepad or
    cmd or any other application). When i press Shift-r i see the
    capital-R.

    the best joke is, when i press Caps-Lock-Shift and 'r' then i found the
    little 'r' (nice workaround)

    When i use knoppix (only for testing) then i see the little 'r'.
    Another keyboard, same problem. New installation of XP, same problem

    Whats now guys

    Freddy

  2. Re: the small r is lost

    freddy wrote:
    > hi guys,
    >
    > sometimes life is funny. I have lost the small 'r' on my keyboard. When
    > i press the key i can't see it (no char is printed in the notepad or
    > cmd or any other application). When i press Shift-r i see the
    > capital-R.
    >
    > the best joke is, when i press Caps-Lock-Shift and 'r' then i found the
    > little 'r' (nice workaround)
    >
    > When i use knoppix (only for testing) then i see the little 'r'.
    > Another keyboard, same problem. New installation of XP, same problem
    >
    > Whats now guys
    >
    > Freddy

    Do you have some kind of quick-launch-key TSR running, which might have
    bound the key to try to run something, which isn't around anymore and
    thus doesn't start? It sounds like it's being intercepted at the
    operating system level by something that reads the keyboard at a low
    level, and so can distinguish whether a modifier is being held down at
    the same time or not.

  3. Re: the small r is lost

    "freddy" wrote in message
    news:1116435331.367192.317740@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > hi guys,
    >
    > sometimes life is funny. I have lost the small 'r' on my keyboard. When
    > i press the key i can't see it (no char is printed in the notepad or
    > cmd or any other application). When i press Shift-r i see the
    > capital-R.
    >
    > the best joke is, when i press Caps-Lock-Shift and 'r' then i found the
    > little 'r' (nice workaround)
    >
    > When i use knoppix (only for testing) then i see the little 'r'.
    > Another keyboard, same problem. New installation of XP, same problem

    Me too! In DOS
    I have a laptop that doesn't recognise alt-D. Shame 'cos that's my editor of
    choice's delete-a- line key. All other key combos (including D, shift-D and
    ctrl-D) seem OK.

  4. Re: the small r is lost

    "freddy" writes:
    > hi guys,
    >
    > sometimes life is funny. I have lost the small 'r' on my keyboard. When
    > i press the key i can't see it (no char is printed in the notepad or
    > cmd or any other application). When i press Shift-r i see the
    > capital-R.
    >
    > the best joke is, when i press Caps-Lock-Shift and 'r' then i found the
    > little 'r' (nice workaround)
    >
    > When i use knoppix (only for testing) then i see the little 'r'.
    > Another keyboard, same problem. New installation of XP, same problem
    >
    > Whats now guys

    That's WEIRD.

    Seems like it must be a key mapping issue in Windows (since Knoppix
    works fine)... but that it's gone on a new installation of Windows is
    what is positively bizarre.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: the small r is lost

    freddy wrote:

    > When i use knoppix (only for testing) then i see the little 'r'.
    > Another keyboard, same problem. New installation of XP, same problem

    Corrupted keyboard driver?

    p.

  6. Re: the small r is lost

    Paul B. wrote:
    > freddy wrote:
    >
    >> When i use knoppix (only for testing) then i see the little 'r'.
    >> Another keyboard, same problem. New installation of XP, same problem

    > Corrupted keyboard driver?

    You even quoted a line that refutes that -- "New installation of XP,
    same problem".

    Besides, what kind of keyboard needs a driver? A normal 101-key PC
    keyboard plugged into the machine's back doesn't. And no other kind of
    keyboard is necessary or especially desirable.

  7. Re: the small r is lost

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Paul B. wrote:
    >
    >> freddy wrote:
    >>
    >>> When i use knoppix (only for testing) then i see the little 'r'.
    >>> Another keyboard, same problem. New installation of XP, same problem

    >> Corrupted keyboard driver?

    > You even quoted a line that refutes that -- "New installation of XP,
    > same problem".

    Maybe.

    > Besides, what kind of keyboard needs a driver? A normal 101-key PC
    > keyboard plugged into the machine's back doesn't. And no other kind of
    > keyboard is necessary or especially desirable.

    Every keyboard I've every used in Windows, including the one I'm
    now on, lists a driver.

+ Reply to Thread