forgotten xp password - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on forgotten xp password - Microsoft Windows ; Hi- someone just gave me a laptop with a windows xp logon and no password. is there a way i can just reformat it without having to know the password? thanx...

  1. forgotten xp password

    Hi-
    someone just gave me a laptop with a windows xp logon and no password.
    is there a way i can just reformat it without having to know the password?

    thanx

  2. Re: forgotten xp password

    Tue, 17 May 2005 21:29:41 -0700, jon:

    > Hi-
    > someone just gave me a laptop with a windows xp logon and no password.
    > is there a way i can just reformat it without having to know the password?
    >
    > thanx

    what do you mean by "reformatting"? The computer? » Insert the WinCD
    and boot from it. Setup does the rest.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: forgotten xp password

    jon wrote:
    > Hi-
    > someone just gave me a laptop with a windows xp logon and no password.
    > is there a way i can just reformat it without having to know the
    > password?

    A 6:30 le matin on te donne un portable? Hmmm. Tu as des droles de
    copains toi.

    Tu démarres sur une disquette (98 fera l'affaire) et tu fais un fdisk,
    puis tu formattes.

  4. Re: forgotten xp password

    yeah, that was my first remedy-i was surprised when all it did was start
    windows

    Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

    > Tue, 17 May 2005 21:29:41 -0700, jon:
    >

    >>Hi-
    >>someone just gave me a laptop with a windows xp logon and no password.
    >>is there a way i can just reformat it without having to know the password?
    >>
    >>thanx

    > what do you mean by "reformatting"? The computer? » Insert the WinCD
    > and boot from it. Setup does the rest.

  5. Re: forgotten xp password

    Wed, 18 May 2005 09:37:44 -0700, jon:

    > yeah, that was my first remedy-i was surprised when all it did was start
    > windows

    When the screen says "Press any key to boot from CD." you should also
    do that. Then there is this blue screen with a grey bottom line
    telling which files are being loaded and eventually you get some
    menus.

    If you don't press any key, the computer does not boot from CD. If you
    don't even get that prompt in the first place, your CD drive may not
    be in the boot sequence in your BIOS.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

+ Reply to Thread