Windows deletes a subdirectory along with a file - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows deletes a subdirectory along with a file - Microsoft Windows ; I found a very odd behaviour when deleting a file. Windows (tested on 2000 and XP) deletes a directory including all its contents without prompting when I delete a file with a similar name. When saving a complete Web-Page with ...

  1. Windows deletes a subdirectory along with a file

    I found a very odd behaviour when deleting a file. Windows (tested on
    2000 and XP) deletes a directory including all its contents without
    prompting when I delete a file with a similar name. When saving a
    complete Web-Page with Mozilla, it creates a file named "xyz.html" and
    a directory "xyz_files" with all the files that belong to this
    web-page. When I delete xyz.html, the directory is also deleted without
    prompting. That's not just annoying - I consider that a severe bug.

    Does anybody know if that is an intended behaviour and whether one can
    set a flag somewhere to stop Windows from doing that?

    I've tested that on my local harddisk and I could always reproduce that
    behaviour. On a network drive, it worked a few times, and then
    "somehow" it didn't work anymore (i.e. only the .html-file was deleted
    as expected).

    Thanks for any advise,

    Michael

  2. Re: Windows deletes a subdirectory along with a file

    17 May 2005 01:18:46 -0700, Michael Krämer:

    > I found a very odd behaviour when deleting a file. Windows (tested on
    > 2000 and XP) deletes a directory including all its contents without
    > prompting when I delete a file with a similar name. When saving a
    > complete Web-Page with Mozilla, it creates a file named "xyz.html" and
    > a directory "xyz_files" with all the files that belong to this
    > web-page. When I delete xyz.html, the directory is also deleted without
    > prompting. That's not just annoying - I consider that a severe bug.
    >
    > Does anybody know if that is an intended behaviour and whether one can
    > set a flag somewhere to stop Windows from doing that?
    >
    > I've tested that on my local harddisk and I could always reproduce that
    > behaviour. On a network drive, it worked a few times, and then
    > "somehow" it didn't work anymore (i.e. only the .html-file was deleted
    > as expected).
    >
    > Thanks for any advise,
    >
    > Michael

    This is intended, because usually, if there is a file and a directory
    of this name scheme you mentionen, it is a saved web page with all the
    files it needs to display. Either you rename the file or the folder
    first so they don't apply to the naming scheme anymore, or you have a
    look at explorer's folder options. There might be something like
    "treat equally named file and folder as one". I don't know how it is
    called, because I don't have that entry :/
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: Windows deletes a subdirectory along with a file

    Hi Frank,

    I found it and fixed it.

    I still consider this a severe bug, however, which can fortunately be
    switched off. It's still unbelievable though!

    Thank you,

    Michael

  4. Re: Windows deletes a subdirectory along with a file

    17 May 2005 03:50:09 -0700, Michael Krämer:

    > Hi Frank,
    >
    > I found it and fixed it.
    >
    > I still consider this a severe bug, however, which can fortunately be
    > switched off. It's still unbelievable though!
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Michael

    Why do you think so? I think its ok. Because consider a dir where
    loads of HTML Documents with directories are stored. Then you don't
    have to look for both the file and its subdir, you just have to delete
    one of them.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

+ Reply to Thread