Networking advice req'd - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Networking advice req'd - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I run the web site for a local Golf Club. They are prepared to have their PC permanently connected to the internet. The golf club has an office PC that contains all their tournament results etc. I want to ...

  1. Networking advice req'd

    Hi,
    I run the web site for a local Golf Club. They are prepared to have
    their PC permanently connected to the internet. The golf club has an
    office PC that contains all their tournament results etc. I want to be
    able to gain easy access to their PC so I can remotely download bits
    and pieces for the web site.

    What is the best way to achieve this? What software is req'd? Approx
    how much will it cost?
    Regards
    Rich.

  2. Re: Networking advice req'd

    "Rick" writes:
    > Hi,
    > I run the web site for a local Golf Club. They are prepared to have
    > their PC permanently connected to the internet. The golf club has an
    > office PC that contains all their tournament results etc. I want to be
    > able to gain easy access to their PC so I can remotely download bits
    > and pieces for the web site.
    >
    > What is the best way to achieve this? What software is req'd? Approx
    > how much will it cost?
    > Regards
    > Rich.

    A internet firewall/router/VPN device is all ya need. Some can be
    quite inexpensive and still include VPN features. STrong password
    security is a must, so choose a very strong password.

    Sonicwall is one I've used in the past. But there are now cheapies
    from Linksys that include VPN connectivity.

    The VPN allows you to connect form a remote site and makes your
    computer appear to be part of the local area network. If the info
    you want is available via a file share, you'd be able to access it
    remotely.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Networking advice req'd

    16 May 2005 05:38:51 -0700, Rick:

    > Hi,
    > I run the web site for a local Golf Club. They are prepared to have
    > their PC permanently connected to the internet. The golf club has an
    > office PC that contains all their tournament results etc. I want to be
    > able to gain easy access to their PC so I can remotely download bits
    > and pieces for the web site.
    >
    > What is the best way to achieve this? What software is req'd? Approx
    > how much will it cost?
    > Regards
    > Rich.

    A very simple way is to install an FTP server (there are freely
    available ones, like Filezilla). There you can set up user accounts
    with passwords. Though I recommend it, you don't even need a separate
    FTP client, because (Internet) explorer already features one.

    Another way is remote desktop, but for just transferring files this is
    both overkill and a security risk, because the computer can be
    completely controlled by anybody who ha(ck)s the login data.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

+ Reply to Thread