Program to take snapshot of entire computer state? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Program to take snapshot of entire computer state? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi! i am looking for a program that can take a snapshot of the entire state of a computer (for documentation and support use). That is: All info about the files (permissions, attributes, size etc.) Everything I can find in ...

  1. Program to take snapshot of entire computer state?

    Hi!
    i am looking for a program that can take a snapshot of the entire state
    of a computer (for documentation and support use).
    That is:
    All info about the files (permissions, attributes, size etc.)
    Everything I can find in "Administrative Tools" under controlpanel.
    Snapshot of Task Manager.

    I know I can collect everything manually, but it would be nice to have
    a environment where I could browse everything offline (with the same
    GUI as the original).

    Thanks!
    Stig, Norway

  2. Re: Program to take snapshot of entire computer state?

    On 2005-05-16, stig.eide@gmail.com wrote:

    > i am looking for a program that can take a snapshot of the entire state
    > of a computer (for documentation and support use).
    > That is:
    > All info about the files (permissions, attributes, size etc.)
    > Everything I can find in "Administrative Tools" under controlpanel.
    > Snapshot of Task Manager.
    >
    > I know I can collect everything manually, but it would be nice to have
    > a environment where I could browse everything offline (with the same
    > GUI as the original).

    You can use VMWare for this. Just take a snapshot and you can retrieve the
    entire machine state at any time.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  3. Re: Program to take snapshot of entire computer state?

    Thanks, I use VMware a lot. But you can not use VMware (nor Virtual PC
    from Microsoft) to take a snapshot of a physical machine.
    They have a tool to convert a Physical machine to Virtual (P2V), but
    that is a lengthy process and I don't want the actual files, only the
    information about them.
    Stig

+ Reply to Thread