Indexing Service? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Indexing Service? - Microsoft Windows ; I don't know if this is the right group for this question. Any suggestions as to another group would be appreciated. I would like to know how to use the Indexing Service, and where it is documented. When I look ...

  1. Indexing Service?

    I don't know if this is the right group for this question. Any
    suggestions as to another group would be appreciated. I would like to
    know how to use the Indexing Service, and where it is documented.
    When I look at Folder Properties, one of the Advanced Attributes
    specifies that for fast searching, Index Services should be allowed to
    search the folder. I assume that this refers to a keyword index. If
    I try to search Microsoft Help, I see references in Word to indexes,
    and references in Access to indexes. However, a Word index is a
    back-of-the-book table of indexed terms. An Access index is a B-tree
    or similar structure used for retrieval on a column basis.

    I see how to select a folder that can be searched using the Index
    Service. How do I start the Index Service to index documents in a
    folder to speed up their searching?

    - - Bob McClenon

  2. Re: Indexing Service?

    Robert McClenon wrote:
    > I see how to select a folder that can be searched using the Index
    > Service. How do I start the Index Service to index documents in a
    > folder to speed up their searching?

    It normally runs automatically. And it's highly overrated. It eats disk
    space, memory, and CPU. An initial search is no faster than without it;
    and subsequent searches are much faster but inaccurate. For example, all
    folders matching a filename substring criterion are liable to be omitted
    from the results, and other weird stuff will happen.

    My solution: disable Indexing Service using start->control
    panel->administrative tools->services, and search online for and install
    Agent Ransack. It's no faster than Explorer's search with Indexing
    Service the first (slow) and subsequent (faster) times one does a
    search, but it's more accurate by far. It also has wizardly options like
    regexps, if you're into that kind of thing.