System going a lot slower than it should be - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on System going a lot slower than it should be - Microsoft Windows ; My system seems to be going a lot slower than it should be. When playing games, Diablo II for example, it seems to play fine for a bit, even hours, but then after a while, at random intervals, my FPS ...

  1. System going a lot slower than it should be

    My system seems to be going a lot slower than it should be. When
    playing games, Diablo II for example, it seems to play fine for a bit,
    even hours, but then after a while, at random intervals, my FPS will
    drop significantly, even when I'm not doing anything in the game. I
    could be just sitting and watching my screen, with no significant
    animations taking place, my FPS will drop from 30+ to about 10 or less
    for maybe 5-6 seconds, then dart back up to the normal number. When
    this happens, my HD LED does not flash, no massive disk swapping is
    going on, nor do I get any indication that my system is busy doing
    anything.. It just happens. And sometimes, when I close the game, it
    takes near forever to refresh my desktop, as there is a lot of swapping
    going on at the time. This only happens sometimes.

    I rescently reformatted, and have made sure that there is nothing on
    the computer that I do not need, nor is there any spyware/adware that I
    can detect using Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE. Before reformatting, I had
    Windows XP with SP1, and now I am using SP2, with the exact same
    results. I defragmented my hard drive several times, have run memory
    tests, and the problem still persists.

    Part of the problem seems to be memory swapping but it doesn't do that
    very often when I am playing games. Some software, like firefox and
    azureus use lots of resources, I know, but even when they're shut down,
    I can have massive amounts of memory swapping... enough to make my
    system near unusable.

    As for my hardware, I have the following:
    Dell Inspiron 1100
    Pentium 4 2.2GHZ
    256MB Ram
    20GB internal drive, I assume 4800RPM, maybe 5400RPM.
    Intel 82845G/GL Graphics Adapter

    Any possible hardware problems? Like I said, I did a memtest, and
    nothing came up wrong. And I can't see my HD being a problem, if it's
    not doing anything drastic at the time, and especially when the game
    runs fine for a bit then just starts acting very weird.

  2. Re: System going a lot slower than it should be

    cababstock@gmail.com wrote:
    > As for my hardware, I have the following:
    > Dell Inspiron 1100
    > Pentium 4 2.2GHZ
    > 256MB Ram
    > 20GB internal drive, I assume 4800RPM, maybe 5400RPM.
    > Intel 82845G/GL Graphics Adapter
    >
    > Any possible hardware problems?

    Yep.

    > 256MB Ram

    There's your hardware problem. Double this. Then, for good measure,
    double it again.

  3. Re: System going a lot slower than it should be

    I don't think it's that simple. I had that same ram for a long while,
    and there were no problems previously. Also, Diablo II runs just fine
    with 256 ram most of the time, why would it randomly slow down? It
    would always be slow.

    On top of that, I have a laptop, so getting ram isn't as simple as just
    going to the store. It's quite expensive. I'm looking at doubling it
    anyhow, but I don't think the amount of ram is the problem.

  4. Re: System going a lot slower than it should be

    cababstock@gmail.com writes:
    > I don't think it's that simple. I had that same ram for a long while,
    > and there were no problems previously. Also, Diablo II runs just fine
    > with 256 ram most of the time, why would it randomly slow down? It
    > would always be slow.
    >
    > On top of that, I have a laptop, so getting ram isn't as simple as just
    > going to the store. It's quite expensive. I'm looking at doubling it
    > anyhow, but I don't think the amount of ram is the problem.

    Actually, laptop memory isn't as expensive as ya think.

    However, if you reliably notice a dramatic speed difference versus how
    the same game on the same machine ran before, make certain that you've
    completely ruled out malware running on the system.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/